I know someone who is offering a Gibson LP Studio (wine) for a very attractive price. Downside, was that it once had a crack in the neck. Since then it has been professionally repaired and refinished, my question is, is it still going to be ok?? Literally, its a price thats too good to pass up and if I didn't know the guy, i'd think it was a steal, so i'm wondering, if a crack thts been repaired a big deal?
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
P.S. I've told him that i'll take the guitar pending that once I check it everything is fine. If I find it to be a bad idea, i'll simply refuse.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
I don't think so. If it was done by a pro I wouldn't see why it would be a problem.
Dude, you can always and you will eventually have to replace the neck. I would take it for sure. Chips in the wood of a guitar do not matter. It's the electronics that can affect tone. And hey it's a Gibson for a good price.
Where is it cracked? If it's at the headstock where the two pieces of wood meet, don't worry, those cracks are more common than you'd think.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Gibson necks either break off at the heel or crack the head stock. If it was repaired by someone who knows what they were doing I don't see the problem.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
+1 to everyone above, except FunkRocker321 Its most likely a set neck, and quite difficult and pricey to replace.

if the break is glued properly, 99% of the time its the strongest part of the neck.