Page 1 of 2
So if you guys havent noticed, Im a bit indecisive. I wanted to get something originally that was primarily geared towards blues and country, but I have been doing alot of thinking and reading up on gear.

I read somewhere that Tony Iommi used to play blues and such on his rig back in the Sabbath days, Clapton used to use an SG for blues and stuff as well. So all this has got me to thinking, maybe a true to heart blues rig isnt the way to go. I have heard alot of guys play blues on rigs not normally meant for that genre, but I have never heard metal-esque tones come from a blues rig. So I think I may go with a more heavy rig and then find a decent blues tone when I need it.

I had originally planned on something like a Fender Strat and a Peavey Classic 50 or something similar. But now I am thinking of something like a Mesa Triple Rec and either an Ibanez or a Jackson. I have even looked at some Krank amps, including their new 20 watt Rev Jr. half stack. What do yall think for a good metal tone? Not too heavy but something along the lines of Dan Donegan's in "Stricken".
Well the Mesa may be a bit high. I really dont want to spend more then like 2 grand on a guitar and amp. The Jackson I am looking at is $800, so $1200 on a good high gain versatile all tube combo.
i wouldn't really go with either a recto or a krank (assuming that krank sounds like their other high gainers) for versatility, to be honest... there are better value options, generally.

what jackson are you going with? i'd probably go with something either HSH or HSS...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was thinking of either an RR3 Rhoads Pro or a KVX10 with upgraded pickups.

For amps that are also in my price range, there is the ENGL Screamer 50W, Genz-Benz El Diablo 60W combo, Hughes And Kettner Switchblade 50W combo, Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 combo, or maybe even a Zakk Wylde Micro Stack () lol.

But seriously, I am leaning alot toward the Peavey Triple XXX. I really like it and I like the demo videos I have seen of it. I know they lean alot toward metal, but oh well.
Do NOT get the Micro Stack. I don't have enough experience with the other ones to help, so my previous posts stand. In case you didn't look into it, the reason I was talking about the Randall RM100 or other amps of that series (RM50B if you want a combo, and that is a tad cheaper/lower wattage), is that you said something about Dan Donegans tone, and this is the amp he uses.

Modules:
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/modules.asp

Dan Donegan and other signature modules
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/sigmods/index.asp

Heads and combos
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/mtsheads.asp
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/mtscombos.asp

I think that would do everything you want....
i'd prefer the el diablo and engl screamer over the xxx for versatility, which is what you want. and they both do a pretty decent metal tone too- best to try them if at all possible, though (especially the el-diablo, it's a love-hate kinda amp, a lot of people think it sucks on an epic scale akin to krank).

for the guitar, i'd probably get something less overtly metal-looking, again assuming you're after versatility. it's not like a rhoads will sound more metal because it's a cool shape... something like an ibanez rg1570 would be a safe bet- nice trem, HSH (for me it's a toss-up between HSH and HSS as to which is the most versatile pickup configuration), under $100 more than the rr3, and in fact almost cheaper than the rr3 if you want a fancy colour in the jackson.

if you can get a randall modular amp for a decent price, that would also be worth considering. I've only tried 3 of the modules, so i can't say too much about them, but i liked 2 out of the 3 models i tried (deluxe and plexi; wasn't so fussed on their recto model, but they have other high gain models). expensive here in the UK, but i think they're better value in the US.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Actually TheShred, Dan Donegan uses Mesa amps for outdoor live shows. He does in fact use Randalls but Im not really wanting too much of the ss tone. The only Randall Im really enthused with is the Randall Warhead, but those are a bitch to find. I know that some of those amps I listed werent very versatile but I like the over all tone of them. I used to have a Switchblade so Im not too worried about what I like on them, but I may find something better suiting my wants.

As for the guitar, Im really leaning toward the double humbucker setup just because it can do blues really well too, depending on which pickups I get. So I dont know, I guess I'll just look and buy what I like when I go shopping that day.
Ah, well see I dont know too much about Randalls. The one I played on before wasan SS and it completely turned me off to Randall amps. The only one I still liked was the Warhead cause its distortion was so vile that its perfect for metal. lol. But they are so hard to find, so...

But I really think that if I go SS I will either get a Warhead (if I can track one down) or I may even get a Cube 60 just to tool around on in my room, then buy a bigger better amp later on. Cause I am just getting back into playing electric, so I dont know.

But I am pretty sure that I want the V guitar just because I have always loved the shape. And V's can be used for blues. One of the "King's" used to use a V and he was a blues guy. (Sorry I dont know which King it was. lol) But Im pretty set on the Jackson line cause I recently fell in love with their necks. They are so damn perfect, imo.

EDIT: Ibanez20th, I have been here longer then you and that was so long ago... NO! Only a select few have ever known the truth about that whole thing and they arent talking. lol
^ Albert King, I think? Not sure, though.

I just want to say, though, that Iommi used a Strat before Sabbath recorded Black Sabbath. Apparently one of the pickups went as soon as they got into the studio and he was forced to use an SG, then he ended up trading his faithful old Strat for a flute.

Sorry for not being real helpful, I just felt like clearing that up.
Well I have even been looking at the Standard Fat Strat with a Floyd Rose. Just upgrading the pickups maybe. I like the Strat's I just dont know what I want. lol. Im too damn indecisive. I may just get a Jackson Dinky or something to have the Strat shaped body but with dual humbuckers and a Floyd Rose. I dont know how often I will use the trem but it would be nice to have it.

And as for what amp, Im stuck in a stupid rut and cant decide what to get.
get the H&K switchblade.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Okay, new direction. Probably just in the guitar but I dont know. The amp is still leaning toward the Triple XXX and even more so now that I have heard of this guy. Some kind of tone between Gary Hoey and Dan Donegan.

What would yall do? Its kind of a mix of harder high gain nu-metal and semi Joe Satriani style stuff Im looking for.
i didn't like the switchblade when i tried it, i thought it sounded like a solid state.

xxx would do high gain nu metal and satchy stuff, yeah. not too sure about blues though. its clean channel is nice, but it didn't really get that edge of breakup tone...

you can play blues with a humbucker, of course. just having single coils as well gives you the option of both.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about the Triple XXX with a good OD on the clean channel? Do you think that might get bluesy? Maybe not even really dirty blues tones, but somewhere in between jazz and blues tones.

But I know that single coils would give me more options and I understand what your saying Dave. I just know that I like the humbucker tone, and I know I can get a Strat with the rail buckers in it but thats kinda cheating to me. The only single coil pickups sound I truely like is the Strat neck position. The other 4 just really dont do anything for me. But I could always coil split the buckers for more tone options.
ah, ok, yeah. if you only like one of the strat positions, maybe that's not so good then. coil split might be the way to go then (though it won't really sound like a strat, probably slightly more like a tele, and a little weak compared to the buckers).

i haven't tried a xxx with an OD, maybe see what gpderek says?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay, I'll ask derek about it.

Now onto guitar, since Im pretty set on the amp.

I was thinking about this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DXMB-X-Electric-Guitar?sku=512239
but swapping out the pickups. Maybe a DiMarzio ToneZone in the bridge and a Breed in the neck. Or an Evo or Evo II in the bridge and something else in the neck.

Im basically looking for like Vai, Stach, Hoey, and some TSO tones. I want to play stuff like that.
i'd be inclined to try that guitar head to head with its pro/mg series equivalent... you'd need to see if it's just the pickups which are worse, or whether the whole guitar is worse (than the pro series)- i know the sl3 i tried was nicer than the bolt-on pro-series guitars I tried... i agree there's no point in paying for a jb and jazz/'59 if you'll swap them anyway... but if the guitar is nicer too, it'd be worth it, plus you could sell on the duncans...

if at all possible, of course.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I have played one before when I was newer to guitar and I didnt like having a trem on it, but if I remember correctly, it actually felt really nice over-all. I will definitely go play on one again before I make my final decision, but if not that specific guitar at least something very similar.

But I am really diggin the Peavey Triple XX Super 40, so I am pretty sure that it will be the amp I get.
Yeah, but its also a couple hundred more though. I have decided that if I should spend that much money on an amp, Im gonna get a 6505 combo. I like those a bit more then the JSX.
yeah i like the 5150 more than the jsx; not too sure about blues tones though. but to me it does classic rock and pretty much everything heavier than that better than a jsx.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I use more of a classic rock tone for blues stuff. I dont do the traditional bluesy sound. I guess I should have mentioned that. lol. But I go for more of a Kenny Wayne Sheppard tone when I play blues.
Doesn't Ted Nugent use a 5150?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
How about one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-40WR-YCV40WR-40W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489074

It does great cleans, and a decent distortion for heavier stuff. Although, if you want Disturbed, you might wanna go with the Randall RM series, with EL34 tubes.

The Randall MTS series has swappable preamp boards, so in theory, you could have all the amps you need for $199 a preamp module.

I've tried many of them, and while they don't sound exactly like what they are modeled after, it'll be decent. It was quite an experience for me to hear a blackface preamp through an EL34 power section.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Sep 10, 2007,
Did you really like those MTS series amps? I have heard alot of people mentioning them, but I have never tried them out or anything. It always seemed kinda fishy to me. How good are they really?
I liked it, and if I didn't have my current amps, I'd have bought one.

Dan Donegan uses one.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I got bored of reading through the whole thread so..

ENGL Screamer combo gets my vote for the amp. Very versatile. As long as you don't go from blues to metal in the same song it will do it all pretty darn well.
yeah i liked the mts, just not at the price in the UK... and i wasn't fussed on the recto model.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I really like the Triple XXX, but I have gotten to thinking about it and most modern metal and progressive metal type music uses alot of effects. So Im thinking about getting a Boss GT8 pedal unit, but I figure it will take all the magic away from the Triple XXX. But there is a Randall 75 watt (cant remember the model of it though) that looked appealing for like $350 or $400. And since Randall has decent amps, if I add the Boss unit to it maybe it wont be half bad. I mean I know a lot of people who just run a multi effects unit straight into a PA and they get some usable tones from that set-up. I just dont know what to do.
i'd go tube and screw the fx, but that's just me. i don't use many fx at all.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well thats what I would rather do, is just get a good old tube amp. I would love to ditch all pedals completely and go with just a guitar into an amp, but unless I got some kind of modeling amp I just dont see that working out. And I would love to get just a bunch of analog pedals instead of going with digital, but that gets costly and I suck at putting them in a good order. And I dont even know what are good pedals for some of the ones Im wanting. At least with a mutli unit, I could play around with settings on different emulations of different pedals.
well i mean how much is the xxx?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
may want to consider something like the TC Gmajor rack unit if you're just looking for fx. No amp models, but superior fx IMO to any of the modeling floor units currently out. It doesn't have any OD/disto fx, but OD's work much better in front of the amp anyway, where the GMajor would be run on the fx loop.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Page 1 of 2