Page 1 of 2
Hey guyz,

I just got this sweet MOOG or something like that electronic synthesizer and looping software that's perfect for techno pop/space rap music! I also have a Mexican Fender Strat, which is sweet.

The thing is, the synth i got is soooooooo muhc better. Once u guyz hear me pleh, you guys will all b like "electric guitar just doesn't sound as good as the synth"

So does any1 else think that electric guitar is losing popularity?
ahhhhh nooo, look around at the forum and how many guitarist there is, they will always be big.
Electric guitar, whether we start to do riffs over an over again, the fact that they sound ****ing awesome threw this ****ing insane instrument will never die. close this thread.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Man Synthsizers sound liek **** sometimes, and guitar allways sounds awesome when played properly
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
they're both really cool instruments
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
just because your guitar doesnt sound as well as your synth doesnt mean guitar will die. thats too small of a scale.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
What's the point of this thread? if your a dumb rap loving wigger then you might enjoy some stupid electronic synthesizer, but really..do you actually think it's better than the guitar? can you do solo's and stuff?Can you actually make rock music? Is rock music dead as well then? i'll just blame your MTV
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
What's the point of this thread? if your a dumb rap loving wigger then you might enjoy some stupid electronic synthesizer, but really..do you actually think it's better than the guitar? can you do solo's and stuff?Can you actually make rock music? Is rock music dead as well then? i'll just blame your MTV

theres nothing wrong with rap
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
we're all talking about 2 completely different styles of music here. sure a synth a is cool, but that is more related to piano and keyboard. its fun and all, but a guitar is something else. it make different music.

both have their pros and cons that people figure out and utilize to make their music sound good.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
Guitar will never die because it is one of the only instruments that can play basically any genre, and it can also do rhythms, melodies, harmonies etc. all by itself.

There is a reason guitar is one of the most popular instruments ever.. Not just because playing guitar gets you laid..
I think you're an idiot. Just my opinion.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by electricsnake
What's the point of this thread? if your a dumb rap loving wigger then you might enjoy some stupid electronic synthesizer,
1)but really..do you actually think it's better than the guitar?
2)can you do solo's and stuff?
3)Can you actually make rock music?
4)Is rock music dead as well then?
5)i'll just blame your MTV

1) It depends on who is playing on each. If you have two different people that play different styles of music playing to eachother, then no. But if you have John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess, they go together well. It's not the instrument itself, but its the person behind it.
2) Yes, Jordan Rudess? Michael Pinella? Derek Sherinian?
3) Wow, this question is ignorant. Guitar isn't used ONLY in rock music and Keyboards are used in rock(Rush anyone?), need I say more?
4) Yes.
5) Ok
Last edited by Dümönd at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by TheDev01dOne

There is a reason guitar is one of the most popular instruments ever.. Not just because playing guitar gets you laid..

the getting laid part is the bonus if you do it right. always worth the pain of learning....
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
Moogerfooger go make some cool synths. they are top of the line. what really cool is the effects the make for guitar. ive only heard a few sound clips from them. but i know Frusciante has a whole bunch he uses on his pedal board to recreate all the stuff he did in the studio on Stadium Arcadium. and hell if its good enough for John Frusciante... its good enough for me
I LIKE Josh Klinghoffer

"Mr. Lippman of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join."

Frusciante for President in '08
Quote by electricsnake

Are you retarded or just stupid?
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by electricsnake

Yes, synths can do solos. Yes you use synths in rock. No rock music is not dead. No, MTV is not to blame, do you ever see them glamourise synths?
And threadstarter:
Look at the popularity of violin, not anywhere near that of guitar, but it's still here after all that time. Instruments like viola da gamba "die" because they don't cut through an orchestra at all, and others survive. I believe guitars and synths will both survive - synths can literally do anything, and guitars, it's the image more than anything that will keep it alive, but also it's sound and versatility.
When I read the first post, I thougt the TS was joking, but no one else seem to think so
Quote by Hardin
Hey guyz,

I just got this sweet MOOG or something like that electronic synthesizer and looping software that's perfect for techno pop/space rap music! I also have a Mexican Fender Strat, which is sweet.

The thing is, the synth i got is soooooooo muhc better. Once u guyz hear me pleh, you guys will all b like "electric guitar just doesn't sound as good as the synth"

So does any1 else think that electric guitar is losing popularity?

People were having this exact same discussion 40 years ago, wanna talk about something a bit more topical?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^^^^ lol

well,maybe youre not that good at guitar,thats why people say your synth sounds better,cuz its easier to play than guitar and sound good.so its really up to you,you either work more on guitar,and it will sound loads better than the synth,or you drop off guitar and work on the synth,its all up to your taste,but id pick the guitar over a thousand synths anyday and would rather practice 6 hours on guitar than half an hour on synth,i purely love it!!
my partner bought me a yamaha keyboard for my birthday recently, i just love the sounds i can get out of it. i am having a great time learning how to play, i always thought keyboards were supposed to easier than guitar but figuring out chords is pretty painful.

only problem is, my guitar playing is suffering as i only have so much time in a day.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Alijonroth
^^^^ lol

well,maybe youre not that good at guitar,thats why people say your synth sounds better,cuz its easier to play than guitar and sound good.so its really up to you,you either work more on guitar,and it will sound loads better than the synth,or you drop off guitar and work on the synth,its all up to your taste,but id pick the guitar over a thousand synths anyday and would rather practice 6 hours on guitar than half an hour on synth,i purely love it!!

Synths are difficult to play well. I'm saving up for a synth with 88 weighted keys, and it can do anything that a piano can do, you can get sustain pedals like on a piano, should be awesome. If you look at what some concert pianists can do, and imagine that on a synth, that's not easy.
I hope this thread is a joke. electric guitars are using the same technology they used for the past 70 years or so. you know why? because it works, and it works well.

Synths on the other hand started out as analogue, that sucked, so they moved to digital, digital took over. there are digital guitars out there but they will never replace the pickup as far as i can see.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
An instrument is just a means to end - to make music. Whatever the instument is.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
I'm sorry, but this thread is fucking stupid.

In fact, it sounds an awful lot like trolling.

Anyway, it's not like synthesizers, or Moogs are new, if they were going to kill the electric guitar it would have happened by now.

Besides, I'm sure plenty of people thought acoustic would become obsolete after the electric became popular.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
As Paul Gilbert said "What could be cooler than playing the ELECTRIC Guitar?" and as Steve Vai said "I love that instrument"
Guitars are an amazing instrument, synths are too but with guitar you actually feel the notes as you're pressing on the strings, bending them, tapping on the fretboard, picking the sounds rather than pressing some keys, dont get me wrong the keyboard/piano/synth can do awesome stuff (getting a used Korg M1 for my birthday ) but I prefer guitar.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Guitar will never die because it is one of the only instruments that can play basically any genre, and it can also do rhythms, melodies, harmonies etc. all by itself.

I believe the instrument you're looking for is the keyboard, or, more specifically, the piano.

The guitar has been in existence in some form or another (not in the six-stringed spanish form the vast majority of us play, which has only been around for about 2 centuries) since ancient times. The electric guitar, the most economical incarnation yet, will only be phased out when a more economical variant comes about (which may or may not happen in the lifetimes of the people reading this post). With the original comparison of guitar and synthesizer - the most obvious difference being that the guitar is an analog instrument and the synthesizer is digital - the analog instrument will never die because digitial emulation will never be perfect and thus, at least in terms of performance, the analog instrument will sound better.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by TheDev01dOne

Hey I could get laid with looped synthesizer music, it just wouldn't be with a woman.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
synths suck, the guitar is better and btw if you want something like that try a guitar synth like a roland.

or maybe you like a vg strat
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
everything you do on a piano, you can do it on a guitar

Oh, so you can play 5-voice fugues on guitar?
A synthesiser can do way more than a guitar synth or a VG strat. Firstly, it synthesises sound waves, and can emulate any shape of waveform. That basically means it has unlimited potential as an instrument. Secondly, not all synths are digital, and not all analogue ones suck. And just because a synth produces sound in an analogue fashion (tuned circuits, wikipedia it) doesn't mean the on-board effects aren't.
Quote by ldnovelo
everything you do on a piano, you can do it on a guitar

true, but the piano sounds different, thats why people (like me) still play them.

guitar is more personal though - you are part of your sound. your fingers physically control the sound, different to a synth which is basically like pushing a few buttons to trigger an electrical current. very impersonal.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
true, but the piano sounds different, thats why people (like me) still play them.

guitar is more personal though - you are part of your sound. your fingers physically control the sound, different to a synth which is basically like pushing a few buttons to trigger an electrical current. very impersonal.

No, a guitar cannot do anything a piano can do. Please stop confirming this as true. You have 4 fingers on guitar to fret notes (5 if you use your thumb) and you use 10 for piano. OK, if you could use all 5 fingers on your left hand, and do 5-fingered tapping with your right, but who have you seen do that. Actually, I'm gonna try that right now.
Quote by National_Anthem
Oh, so you can play 5-voice fugues on guitar?
A synthesiser can do way more than a guitar synth or a VG strat. Firstly, it synthesises sound waves, and can emulate any shape of waveform. That basically means it has unlimited potential as an instrument. Secondly, not all synths are digital, and not all analogue ones suck. And just because a synth produces sound in an analogue fashion (tuned circuits, wikipedia it) doesn't mean the on-board effects aren't.

no but you cant tap on a piano, you cant do effin crazy fast pull offs on a piano, and not unless your piano has one of those bend generator things you cant do bends on a piano either....not to mention you cant do crazy **** with a piano like you can a guitar ive never send some one roll across the floor while playing a piano and when your playing live and you cant go effin crazy then thats just dumb....guitars will never ever die cause i wont stop playing and until i die...and after that im sure someone will be just like me
Quote by electricsnake

Wow ...

It's hard to believe there are people that are so ignorant.
Quote by Ryan0811
no but you cant tap on a piano, you cant do effin crazy fast pull offs on a piano, and not unless your piano has one of those bend generator things you cant do bends on a piano either....not to mention you cant do crazy **** with a piano like you can a guitar ive never send some one roll across the floor while playing a piano and when your playing live and you cant go effin crazy then thats just dumb....guitars will never ever die cause i wont stop playing and until i die...and after that im sure someone will be just like me

You don't need to tap on piano. Hammer-ons and pulloffs are just legato playing. You don't need to go crazy with an instrument to perform well, and you can smash them up or burn them same as a guitar. I never said guitar would die, I was just disputing someone elses ridiculous claims.
Quote by electricsnake

ya know every one is hating on this guy but hes in part right....rap sucks...although i think you can use a synthesizer in rock music but i do believe society is going towards being gangster and it really sucks.....
Page 1 of 2