No you would not need a mixer with that unit because along with being a firewire interface, it's also an 8 channel mixer together.

This is a nice unit and you'll like it. I may even pick up one myself some time...just need money.

With a mixer that would take say 4-5 inputs and reduce it all down to a single stereo track. this is ok if you have someone on the mixer at all times listening to the mix and making sure the levels are good throughout the recording session. With an interface recorder like the one you are looking at that will take 8 inputs and put them all on separate tracks which is much easier to edit later on.

Say you recorded 3 parts, vocals, guitar, and bass. At the start of the song everything is great but then guitar gets loud with the distortion and you are using a standard mixer which has put all your audio from 3 channels down to one stereo track. This has just cut your ability to edit one instrument without effecting all the others.

Your goal in recording is to keep every instrument o it's own track so say your vocals get too loud and the guitar too quiet at the same time. With all the parts on their own track you'll be able to edit the volume and loads of other settings for each track and instrument without effecting the others.

your analog mixers are more common with PCI cards these days...you'll get yourself a mixer with a few different buses and a card with loads of inputs so you could still keep each instrument on its own track. This works but it is a little expensive as everything is in the recording field.

Overall I say stick with that firewire interface/mixer you are looking at.
Be sure the computer you are using can handle this unit...8 inputs at one time really needs a good deal of processing from your computer and if you push it too far you may get some lagging and or latency.

BTW, what are you planning on recording?
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by moody07747
No you would not need a mixer with that unit because along with being a firewire interface, it's also an 8 channel mixer together.

This is a nice unit and you'll like it. I may even pick up one myself some time...just need money.

With a standard mixer and separate interface you have quite a few controls but you'll pay a lot for both.
This unit combines the two and lets you have the control of a Controller for recording programs as well as the inputs and control of a mixer.

Be sure the computer you are using can handle this unit...8 inputs at one time really needs a good deal of processing from your computer and if you push it too far you may get some lagging and or latency.

BTW, what are you planning on recording?

Thank you for explaining that, and I believe my computer can handle it, it's got a dual core, 2.64 GHZ processor with 1.5GB of ram, I can always upgrade, no biggy.

As for recording, my band and few local people in my school. I have some money saved up so I thought I would investigate.

EDIT: Ey, a Jerzey local eh? Added you on myspace.
Just a note: mixers are almost NEVER useful for home recording.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.