Hey guys, I'm experimenting with playing lead and rhythm at the same time, and I noticed that when I've got a bass note ringing, and I bend a higher string, the tone of the bass note is lowered. What's up with that? I've got an Ibanez RG 1570, and I believe it has an Edge Pro bridge.
The pitch is lowered because when you bend a string it pulls on the bridge, therefor loosening the tension on the other strings.
Not sure what kind of bridge that is, but unless it's fixed, that's normal. the total tension in the stings must match the tension in the springs in the back of your guitar. When you bend one string, you add tension, so the other strings reduce their tension to balance the equation. if you don't like it, add extra/heavier springs in the back of your guitar. This will lock it down and convert it to down only. It'll also slightly effect your string height, you may want to adjust it.
Quote by Blaster Bob
Not sure what kind of bridge that is, but unless it's fixed, that's normal. the total tension in the stings must match the tension in the springs in the back of your guitar. When you bend one string, you add tension, so the other strings reduce their tension to balance the equation. if you don't like it, add extra/heavier springs in the back of your guitar. This will lock it down and convert it to down only. It'll also slightly effect your string height, you may want to adjust it.

Thanks for the info, really helpful.
Yeah it's because of the floating bridge. I also have an RG. It's really annoying when you're trying to do a unison bend or something . I hate floating bridges.
Yep, it's normal and happens with fixed bridges too but to a much lesser degree.

Oh and bye the way, it's the pitch that changes, not tone.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...