Page 1 of 2
I got an email from my uncle in Australia asking if I was online, so i emailed him back asking whats up. Basically he explained to me that my grandfather (who lives in Australia too) had passed away this morning. He told me instead of my dad because I was never really that close with my grandfather, he always lived in Australia. I've only seen him Twice in my life. But this is the guy that raised my dad, and my uncle thinks its best if my dad hears it from someone in real life rather than over the internet.

We all knew it was going to happen sometime in the next few years, he was 79 years old and in bad health. But I still dont know how to explain it to my father in a way that will cause as little pain as possible.. It's hard enough for me to think about, so I cant imagine what it's going to be like for my dad.

Basically what I'm asking for... i guess i need to know the words to use, what to say, and when. I really have no idea.

Also, this is not my dads birth father, but he did raise him since he was a baby. My dads real father died before he knew him.

R.I.P ROBERT WINTER 1928 - 2007
Last edited by 7daycrisis at Sep 8, 2007,
RIP. I am so sorry to hear that man.

Tell him how you would want to hear it man. Also, keep telling him that you are there for him. I guarantee he will appreciate it.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by terrencemaddox

Tell him how you would want to hear it man. Also, keep telling him that you are there for him. I guarantee he will appreciate it.

I agree. You need to support your father in this hard time.

R.I.P.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Just tell him that your uncle talked with you over the internet to let you know your Grandpa died and tell him that you loved him, even though you've only seen him twice. And stay with your dad till he feels better.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Sorry for your dad mate
Dude however you tell him do it soon as you can
thoughts are with you
take care mate
~Kainique
Sorry for your loss and the difficult position you've been put in. I've never been in that situation, so I can't help you.
Thanks for the support guys... well i'm gonna go talk to him now. See how he takes it, maybe it will be easier since New Zealands about to beat Italy i nthe rugby world cup, might cheer him up afterwards haha. Thanks heaps
Sorry to hear, theres no easy way to do it.

Tell your mum and let her worry about it.
Quote by Preid
Sorry to hear, theres no easy way to do it.

Tell your mum and let her worry about it.

I honestly think his dad will appreciate him coming to him (awkward wording).
Miss Scourge? PM me.

If anybody is interested, it went well =) Basically i said that i have something he needs to know (straight away he said "you're not gay are you?" so I told him everything, he seemed upset as you would expect, but lke i said, we all knew it was coming. So he said he wants to have some time alone for the rest of the night and made sure i would be ok too, then we hugged and went our seperate ways. Which is pretty cool cause we never hug or anything.

/my emotional story

Thanks for the support by the way guys.
I'm glad it went well man. Are you ok though?
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Yeah.. like i said i barely knew him. Of course its hard though, but theres not much point in bringing myself down about it when I can't change it. I'm going to try and organise a funeral here as well as Australia since the majority of the family are in New Zealand.
That's a burden taken off your back. Check back with your dad later and see if he's doing fine.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by terrencemaddox

Couldn't have said it better myself.

79 years is a good age man, may he rest in peace.

esitforseemingstupidfornotreadingthewholething: Good that it went well man, and just stick by him tomorrow. He'll be ok
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
i'd burst into tears when my dad dies... and i wouldn't want to be disturbed... but that might just be me. but yea. i'd burst into tears if anybody passes in my family. any way the person tells me i probably would...

Rest In Peace...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'm very sorry for your loss.

And, I completely agree with the advice of Terrence.

~Frussie

Michael Jackson - Forever loved
"Dude grandads dead.....get over it"

i'm joking don't actually do that

really sorry to hear but try and tell him everything you know and break it to him slowly. I doubt i could have done that so i respect you

R.I.P
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Sorry to hear that.

If you're anything like me, you suck at telling people bad news. So maybe tell your mum or sister (if you have one) and get her to tell him.

Or just tell him exactly what the email said and try to comfort him.
Condolonces to you and your family, my dad took it pretty hard when both his parents died, but he'll get through it. Buy him a dog, animals are good companions.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
good to hear that it went well.. TBH, 79 is a prime age, you should be glad he lived as long as he did, and hope he didn't suffer in his passing. Sure it's sad that he's not around anymore, but like I said: 79 is a prime age to go. We can all just hope to even get close to that (This in regards to the "Musicians die younger" newspost )
I'm sorry to hear that
When you see your dad, give him a tight hug, and tell him his father died.
Hey guys =) Thanks for the support, i already broke it to him, yo ucan read about it on the first page. Just so you all know, he took it well so all is good.
At least it was expected, sorry to hear about it. I had to tell my mom her grandmother had died a few months ago, but we all knew it would be soon and weren't very shocked. Good on you for having the balls to say it, it's never easy to be the bearer of bad news.

And fun fact: I live in a town called Wellington in England
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
At least it was expected, sorry to hear about it. I had to tell my mom her grandmother had died a few months ago, but we all knew it would be soon and weren't very shocked. Good on you for having the balls to say it, it's never easy to be the bearer of bad news.

And fun fact: I live in a town called Wellington in England

Think we were meant to be?
Quote by 7daycrisis

Have you read what it says under your user name? I think she has
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by 7daycrisis
I got an email from my uncle in Australia asking if I was online, so i emailed him back asking whats up. Basically he explained to me that my grandfather (who lives in Australia too) had passed away this morning. He told me instead of my dad because I was never really that close with my grandfather, he always lived in Australia. I've only seen him Twice in my life. But this is the guy that raised my dad, and my uncle thinks its best if my dad hears it from someone in real life rather than over the internet.

We all knew it was going to happen sometime in the next few years, he was 79 years old and in bad health. But I still dont know how to explain it to my father in a way that will cause as little pain as possible.. It's hard enough for me to think about, so I cant imagine what it's going to be like for my dad.

Basically what I'm asking for... i guess i need to know the words to use, what to say, and when. I really have no idea.

Also, this is not my dads birth father, but he did raise him since he was a baby. My dads real father died before he knew him.

R.I.P ROBERT WINTER 1928 - 2007

So sorry for you dude. R.I.P

I lost my last grand parent about a year ago, so I definitely know how you feel. (Actually maybe, not. I knew them pretty well. Except the ones one my moms side, my grandad there died before I was born and the grandma died when I was two.) Well, the best you could do is not hold it in for long. The longer you wait the worse it's gonna be. Just tell him that you have something to tell him and that he needs to sit down. It will hurt for him, but just be there for him. That's the most important thing, and exactly what family is for.

When my grandad died is one of the very few times I've seen my dad cry, so prepare for a bit of a shock, be strong for him. I wish you and your family the best of luck.
im sorry man. i very recently lost my grandad and my best friend within 2 weeks of each other so i know how it feels to lose someone. just keep reminding him that you love him and remember that he loves you too xx
Quote by rich_sg
Oh come on Emz, the thread is who's your favorite UG'er, not MOST FAVORITE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!

Elecktra Of The UG Hero's And Villian's Club Pm josh999x To Join

The proud owner of [x]Huffy[x]

Quote by Heafyman
You Jackass_babe are cool.
all I can say is don't be sad, 79 years is a decent length for life. Just tell your Dad straight, he'll be upset but he will never be angry at you for telling you it.
Quote by 7daycrisis

Yes, I think so

Just keep your fists to yourself
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Well I know you've told him now but that must have been a very strange situation to be in.

RIP
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Get your uncle to call your dad: he's passing responsibility and putting you in an unreasonable position. You shouldn't be the one to tell your dad, imo.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I'm sorry to hear that mate. It's not really my position to try and tell you how you should break news this personal to your dad.
^^ I agree, he'd probably rather hear it from someone who actually knew him anyway.
There's no nice way to tell someone that someone died, so if you're going to, just do it. Most people would rather just know than have it sugar coated two days later
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by 7daycrisis
If anybody is interested, it went well =) Basically i said that i have something he needs to know (straight away he said "you're not gay are you?" so I told him everything, he seemed upset as you would expect, but lke i said, we all knew it was coming. So he said he wants to have some time alone for the rest of the night and made sure i would be ok too, then we hugged and went our seperate ways. Which is pretty cool cause we never hug or anything.

/my emotional story

Thanks for the support by the way guys.

Congrats. Sounds like you did a good job.

It must have been hard telling your own father that.
Page 1 of 2