Page 1 of 2
Hey Guys,

I'm in search of a new guitar. My current guitar is a Gibson Les Paul.

I am looking for something to play more metal style of music. It will need 24 frets and a good tremolo/whammy.

The music i will be playing will be stuff like Steve Vai, Satriani, Metallica, etc.

The most amount of money i am willing to spend is $2500 usd. I want to try and keep it at 2000 or below.

I've been looking at the Steve Vai Jem 7V white. I've been hearing some mixed opinions about the guitar. What do you guys think? Will it suit my style of music (well obviously steve vai songs...)? I really like the way it looks.

I'm not too knowledgeable about guitars. I'm teh type of guy that just plays the guitar, but doesnt' erally know stuff like what pickup, wood, and other specs about the guitar so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by josephhkim at Sep 9, 2007,
Go to a guitar center or sumthing and check out the Jem or any other high end RGs, they are top notch guitars with one of the best trems on the market.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
if that money is US, you can get a satriani signature, i like them way better than the vai sig.
Quote by fretsonfire74
if that money is US, you can get a satriani signature, i like them way better than the vai sig.

He said 24 frets, that's the only reason I didn't suggest that. But honestly you won't miss the 2 frets. I would gladly trade my RG any day of the for a JS1000 a say goodbye forever to those 2 frets.
um esp make nice guiars the m or h series have nice duncan, jb and a jazz, and a floyd rose, they look better than an rg aswell
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
What is your current amp? You need a good amp to compliment a good guitar...

Have you tried out any "Metal" guitars out? At $2500, you have a killer selection...

Look up Ibanez RG Prestiges, J Customs, Carvin guitar (Custom made, woo), Jackson USA guitars and ESP / Caparison guitars. Those are pretty much amazing brands.
With all that money, I'd get a PRS without hesitating! They can play anything you'll ever want, plus they're so beautiful and comfortable
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
The Les Paul's about as dark a guitar as you're going to get. I think what you're looking for is a new amp.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
hmmm with the guitar tou have youve got enuff for what you like to play...if i were you id get a good metal foot swicth and if you want to do stuff like they do its more of the scales and notes you play out of...you should look at some neoclassical and try to learn som crazy dark scales like Hungarian minor or super locrian, then write a song out of those and you will get a darker song than you could ever make with distortion and regular major or minor scales
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the suggestions.

My heart is pretty much set on the Jem, but i just want to make sure that i'm not just wasting money by choosing that guitar.

So is the Jem not a bad choice for metaL? I'm more than willing ot buy another guitar if its a better option.

I know that people say that its better to spend the money on an amp. I currently use a Line 6 Flextone XL. I know its not a very good amp, but i'm one of those guys that sorta cares more about the feel of the feel of the guitar rather than the exact sound i'm gettingouta my amp. The flextone is not a BAD amp is it? I like how its really versatile.

As for the number of frets, some of the songs i play require 24 frets. I guess i ccould just guesstimate on where the 24 fret would eb and get a halfish sounding sound out of it. The only problem is that sometimes when i have to bend the 22 fret on my les paul, its really hard for me ot reach up there and bend it up. Are these guitars easier to access teh top frets liek 22-24? Thtas rather important ot me.

On the jem, i tink it says the frets are scalloped. What does that mean?

My teacher plays a carvin. So i'm interested in those guitars too. What exactly does it mean when you say custom guitar? Thta i get to choose all the specs? Wouldn't the cost be more than 2500? I'm not too good with technical data, so i dunno if i'd be able to choose teh correct specs for myself if it were custom built.

Also, i may get a used guitar. Where is a good place to buy used guitars? i don't really knwo if there are used guitar shops, pawn shops, etc. in my area. Can i trust ebay?

Any more info, help, or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by josephhkim at Sep 8, 2007,
If I had $2500 I would buy a Dean Razorback, I've played one before, it's an amazing guitar, and it's only about $1200.
The Jem is pretty versitial, I played one once and it was amazing. I went from blues to metal and it could handle it all (I was playing in a guitar shop on some sort of tube combo amp). I definitly suggest it.

notice how the fretboard literally goes in deeper and comes back out each fret, thats scalloped. And I think it's only on frets 20-24 on the Jem. I say get it!

Note: That is a one piece neck so there isn't a noticeable fretboard on it, but you get the idea of what it would look like.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Last edited by DefectedFromGod at Sep 8, 2007,
The PGM301 has 24 frets. I'd definitly look at those.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

the jem is a great guitar, dont get me wrong, but i wouldn't use it for metal, although it is very versatile, it wouldn't really suit metal too well i dont think. You could go for a up market Ibanez RG, they can be really good, and versatile too. Good for metal, just don't get a cheap one, they can be really horrible.
I'd definately say go for the Jem or the Universe. I have played both and can say first hand that they can really cover the entire spectrum of guitar tones, just like Steve Vai's playing. Truly fantastic guitars.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Rgt320q.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Thanks for all the suggestions, i shall look through them.

How much would it cost to get a custom Carvin?

Also, one of you said that the Jem is not suited for metal. is this true?

Finally, what is the point of scalloped frets?

Thanks.
Consider Caparisons too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Bull**** a Jem can't do metal. Evolutions are awsome metal pick ups.
Alright, I've been looking at the Carvins.

I am not very experienced with the technical parts of guitars.

I am somewhat intrigued by custom-built guitars. Unfortunately, I don't really know what i'm doing. There are so many options, adn this and that, and i am extremely confused. Is there somewhere i can go to learn about these options and stuff, or someone who would be willing to assist? I don't wanna mess up on my configuration if its going to be a custom guitar.

Also is Carvin pretty much the best custom guitar company? What other choices do i have? Keep in mind that my price limit is pretty much 2500.

I'm thinking of just sticking with the Jem since it is versatile, well-suited to metal, simpler and easier, and i really like how it looks.

People reccommend the RG Prestige. what is the difference between the prestige and the regular RG? Is the RG1570 a prestige?

Thanks a lot for the help.
RG Prestiges are made in Japan, have Edge Pro trems, 5 piece necks, and slightly better pick-ups. The RG1570 is a prestige model. If you want to get a really really nice RG, go look at some j-customs.
Quote by josephhkim
Thanks for all the suggestions, i shall look through them.

How much would it cost to get a custom Carvin?

Also, one of you said that the Jem is not suited for metal. is this true?

Finally, what is the point of scalloped frets?

Thanks.

i said that, people may disagree, but i don't think it really suits metal, not really a heavy enough tone. But the best part about it is that it's really versatile.
Scalloped frets are used by guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen, it doesn't help with his speed, but it makes bends easier because you can get under the string better, or if yu like, a better hold of it.
for $2500 dollars you could get an ESP M-II Neck Thru. That guitar was MADE for metal. ****ing awesome.

The regular RG series is made with inferior materials and hardware in Korea or Indonesia.

The Prestige RGs are made in Japan, have the best floating bridges known to man. They are plainly better in every way.

An RGT320Q would be awesome for what your looking for as well. Check it out.
Well, the JEM is pretty versatile, it can cover metal well (Muhammed Suiçmez from Necrophagist recorded either both Necro albums or just Onset Putrefaction with his brother's JEM).
However, I think the best choice in you situation, with such a budget, with be a EBMM John Petrucci sig, and an amp. It's a simply amazing guitar, one of the best feeling necks around, and if I'm not mistaken it comes at $1600, something around that. Which would leave you room for a pretty good used amp.

Look here.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
try caparisons
very nice high end guitars
and are probably right at your price range
they are perfect for metal and stuff
(killswitch, soilwork, etc..)
If you are looking for a JEM, check out Jem Site. They have tons of info and I would definitely look at some used models as well. They can be just as good as the new ones. There's also some good info on the JS and J-Custom models.
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I'll sorta go through some of the suggestions and put my thoughts on them.

Yes the dean razorbacks look pretty sick, but i was look for a strat style guitar. Nothing too crazy like flying Vs adn stuff like that. I'll save that for my 4th guitar. :-)

Some of the brands listed seem somewhat obscure and hard to purchase or get information on.

For example, its hard to get info on Caparisons. The website looks cheap and badly translated. Also, i couldn't really find anywhere to buy those guitars.

Also, i've heard j-custom mentioned a lot. I was reading a bit about them, and apparently they are custom made Ibanez guitars made in Japan for the Japanese audience. Are these guitars better than the prestige RGs? Next, how would i even be able to purchase since it seems that they are catered specifically to the Japanese crowd?

I'm definately gonna keep looking around and continue considering different options and suggestions. I'm planning to buy this guitar probably around novememberish, december around christmas time, so i've got some time to continue researching, etc.

Help, suggestions, etc. is still appreciated. Thanks.
there are J Customs on ebay. You might have to import one from Japan, but it would be well worth it.
look at the dean michael angelo batio armor flame sig. it looks incredible.
link
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Last edited by ledroses23 at Sep 9, 2007,
Quote by josephhkim
Alright, I've been looking at the Carvins.

I am not very experienced with the technical parts of guitars.

I am somewhat intrigued by custom-built guitars. Unfortunately, I don't really know what i'm doing. There are so many options, adn this and that, and i am extremely confused. Is there somewhere i can go to learn about these options and stuff, or someone who would be willing to assist? I don't wanna mess up on my configuration if its going to be a custom guitar.

Also is Carvin pretty much the best custom guitar company? What other choices do i have? Keep in mind that my price limit is pretty much 2500.

I'm thinking of just sticking with the Jem since it is versatile, well-suited to metal, simpler and easier, and i really like how it looks.

People reccommend the RG Prestige. what is the difference between the prestige and the regular RG? Is the RG1570 a prestige?

Thanks a lot for the help.

I believe $1,300-$1,800 is about as high as you can go with a Carvin. If you need help on what features to add or remove just call them up. Their customer service is most excellent.

Carvin builds amazing guitars, I'd highly recommend one.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by aixelsydevahi
The PGM301 has 24 frets. I'd definitly look at those.

It's cheap aswell, but I don't think there are models with whammy.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
The j-customs seem hard to get.

Are they considerably better than the RG prestiges? The shipping is expensive from Japan and somewhat unreliable.

I'm looking for more info on the caparisons. Where can i purchase them from? Where can i get more info? Are they japanese made? The website is somewhat hard to read adn understand but teh guitars look pretty sick.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2