Hi guys, I have been playing guitar for about 2 and a half years on a small 10 watt solid state amp. I think it is time for me to upgrade to a slightly larger tube amp. The styles of music i play range from metal to blues to punk, so basically i need a versatile amp.

Thanks,
Luke

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Peavey Valveking, Laney VC30, yea...

how often do you play all those genres? metal often? or blues often? all the same?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
And what's your price range?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i mostly play them in equal proportions but more often then not it is the heavier stuff. My price range is about $800 Australian but i will save up extra if needed.

....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
i'd have thought a valveking for that, but i'm not too familiar with AUS prices...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by stussy<>punk
i mostly play them in equal proportions but more often then not it is the heavier stuff. My price range is about $800 Australian but i will save up extra if needed.

Get a second hand tube combo of ebay or the trading post.
Quote by the_negro_puppy
Get a second hand tube combo of ebay or the trading post.

Ive already said im going to be getting a tube amp of some sort. Iam asking for peoples recommendations on which one i should get.

....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Laney's sound is good, but for the metal and blues mixed, go with the Valve King. If you use a tube screamer with it, it will drive out amazing metal tones.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
what valve king model would you guys say is the best?

....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
i guess try them all if you can? peavey speakers are generally considered to be not great; for that reason the head + a different make of cab may be a good idea. Problem with that idea, though, is that for the extra price of the separate head and cab you could probably get a better quality combo.

so yeah, i'd probably just get the 50 watter (i.e. the cheaper one) combo, and swap the speaker at some point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If i did get the valve king and decide to swap the speakers, what speakers would you suggest as an alternative?

....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
what type of tone(s) are you after? EDIT: crap you already said what you wanted, sorry.

celestion vintage 30 might be good for that (it's 60 watts, don't worry); eminence's version is the governor (haven't tried that).

For a slightly warmer, more vintage edge to the tone, a g12h30 might be worth a look; actually, it's only 30 watts, so you'd probably need to look to the eminence version, the wizard. Again, i haven't tried the eminence...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?