ok, so i have a good guitar, good bass (my brother's actually), good amp and an ok Bass amp.

i have no idea where to start though. i know how to use audacity allright, but it sucks, whenever i record one "track" (?), i can't record over it, because audacity records what i play PLUS the first track in the second track, which results in horrible distortion (did that make sense to you?)

anyway, should i get something like a line6 Toneport, would it let me record everything and assemble them together? like, first the drums, then lay the bass on it, followed by the guitar and vocals?

thank you for the help!

EDIT : for the drums, i plan using something similar to Guitar Pro, but for drums, any recommendations? and other programs like Audacity which could work better? i've heard Cubase is quite popular, but i'm not quite sure what it does... :S
LTD DV8-R
Peavey Triple XXX
LTD EC-50
you can mute the first track and then record again
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
do it all in audacity but do them seperatly
then import them all and the record it all again

dont record everything again once you have them all imported go record
Quote by rocker138
Wow...I can't believe no one thought of that, I actually have lost 5% of my confidence for not thinking of that, I bow to you

MY GEAR
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
RANDALL RG75 G2 SERIES
MARSHALL JACKHAMMER
Last edited by i_am_ironman at Sep 8, 2007,
I use Adobe Audition. This is a multitrack recording program so you can for example listen to one track while recording another. There ar others like ACID but I prefer that one.
Press the mute button on the left of the track. There's free software with quantising, look at that, you pretty much need it no matter how rhythmically you play, we're only humans.
Quote by ElBarto2811
I use Adobe Audition. This is a multitrack recording program so you can for example listen to one track while recording another. There ar others like ACID but I prefer that one.

i use audition, its awesome
well, if i mute the track i'm playing over, i can't hear it play anymore, so i can't play over it!

or did i miss something? could it also be my sound card, which probably sucks too?

besides, i'm using a cheap chinese mic that costs something like 15€, and i have a ****ty sound anyway.
LTD DV8-R
Peavey Triple XXX
LTD EC-50
I would say to get a decent quality mic, otherwise there is no point in having good equipment.

You could also listen to the track quietly with headphones (say the drum part) then you can hear the drums while you record the bass over it.
Quote by Froggy McHop
I would say to get a decent quality mic, otherwise there is no point in having good equipment.

You could also listen to the track quietly with headphones (say the drum part) then you can hear the drums while you record the bass over it.

the problem with buying a mic is that i'm scared that i won't be able to configure it right.

and as i said, i can't listen to a track and record a 2nd track at the same time, because it picks up the sound from the 1rst track and just records it again, resulting in horrible feedback.

thanks for the help though!
LTD DV8-R
Peavey Triple XXX
LTD EC-50
Quote by Meatbag
the problem with buying a mic is that i'm scared that i won't be able to configure it right.

and as i said, i can't listen to a track and record a 2nd track at the same time, because it picks up the sound from the 1rst track and just records it again, resulting in horrible feedback.

headphones!
And you could DI the guitar and shove it through line in, then it doesn't matter whether it's muted or not then.
If your looking for a multitrack software program then I recommend mixcraft 3...you try before you buy and its really cheap to buy and its an easy excellent program to use.

Mixcraft Testimonials
http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/testimonials.htm

Mixcraft screenshot and link...Try Now for free trial...this program also has real live drum loops so it will solve the drum problem as well...you can change tempos.
http://1000watts.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=mr&action=display&thread=1177038701
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
I suggest the toneport for any home recording...its a nice little setup.

your monitoring is going into the main record mix because you have it setup that way somewhere in Audacity. Go though all your settings in the program and see what you can change.

if you go with a toneport, get a good mic with it...i suggest the SM57 as it can do a lot. The toneport wont use your sound card to record so you'll get much better results and you wont have your monitoring feed into your recording.

its all about the setup. I had this happen to my setup a month ago but I found a way to monitor both the output of my sound card and the output of my mixer without having the soundcard output play into the record once again. (I just used a small Behringer mixer and fed the Recording mixer and line outputs into this little guy. Then i just used my studio monitors or headphones to hear it all.

It's all about the setup, go though it all.
Quote by Meatbag

Can't configure it right? What do you mean by that?
Try using 'Kristal' its a recording program that allows you to record like 18 tracks into one song, I use it with Toneport GX and it works fine.
Kristal's certainly decent freeware, in that it operates like a lo fi copy of pro tools with a mix, edit window etc.