Asking for your opinions, I'm really interested in an ENGL Powerball, should I sell my Dual Recto (2 channel) for one?
Local store should be getting one in next week so I will have some extensive testing to do :P
Genres played: Progressive, Death, Thrash, Power, Doom metal, Opeth style clean interludes and stuff.
probably not, solely on economics. Mesa are really overpriced here, but since you already have one (and by all accounts, one of the 2 channel ones which sound nicer, though i've only tried the 3-channel ones), it doesn't really make any sense to do a straight swap for something which, in the UK, is only worth about 2/3 as much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Engl
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Engl Engl Engl
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
recto

ive found that the powerball is nice at low volumes, but doesnt really open up till you get it burning, rectos dont really need that as much.

its all opinion, the engl i played gave me some serious g.a.s though
Rectos have a flabby loose low end compared to the Powerball. The powerball has a slight scooped voicing to it though.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Unless the Recto is a 2 channel, I'd rather have the ENGL, no contest.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I LOVE engls, but I still prefer the recto, i think it's more versatile and I like the voicing a little more...

I also prefer the recto's low end over the Engl
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
As stated before, is the Recto a 2-channel or a 3-Channel, as that is the key to the equation.

If it is a 3-channel, I'd take the Powerball hands down.
If it is a 2-channel, I'd take have to play them both side by side..
If it is a Pre-500 2-channel, I'd take the Recto hands down.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
i'm pretty sure it's a two-channel.

The clincher?

Quote by CyanideChris
Asking for your opinions, I'm really interested in an ENGL Powerball, should I sell my Dual Recto (2 channel) for one?
Local store should be getting one in next week so I will have some extensive testing to do :P
Genres played: Progressive, Death, Thrash, Power, Doom metal, Opeth style clean interludes and stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hmm...if i could mod the recto I might. But that'd put almost half a grand ontop of the dual rec cost.
the first engl i've heard was when i finally snagged some necrophagist albums. the tone in that band truly set it apart from the rest of the metal i have in my collection.

Clear, focused, just plain wonderful.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
ENGL. I would kill for one.... *shifty eyes*
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by Austrorammer
I LOVE engls, but I still prefer the recto, i think it's more versatile and I like the voicing a little more...

I also prefer the recto's low end over the Engl

More versatile makes me think you haven't played a Powerball before. Because to say a recto is more versatile than an engl powerball is flat out silly.

Anywasy I'd get the Engl in a heartbeat. Much better clarity and way more versatile.
Quote by Ibanez20th
More versatile makes me think you haven't played a Powerball before. Because to say a recto is more versatile than an engl powerball is flat out silly.

Anywasy I'd get the Engl in a heartbeat. Much better clarity and way more versatile.

Its all personal preference really.

I'd have the Powerball though for the simple reason that it looks cool with the red LED's in it
Still cmon A dual recto being called versatile what so ever is kinda of silly. Let alone over top of an ENGL.
I find Recto's can be quite versatile, its just a right fanny on getting a decent tone because of the way the pots are wired.
Now how exactly do you pronounce ENGL? Is it like, En-Gull or do you just say all the letters individually? To be honest this is the first I've heard of them. I didn't know that's the kind of amp muhammed suicmez used. I'm currently in the process of buying new gear. My stack is going to be a peavey 6505+ on top of a dual recto cabinet, but this is making me reconsider the cab. Any advice? I've always thought to myself that the sound I'm going for would be somewhere in between Dan Weller of Sikth and Muhammed of Necrophagist. Dan uses a 6505+ and now I'm learning that Muhammaed uses ENGL. It almost seems like the perfect fit for me!
If you have the choice of an ENGL or a 6505, get the ENGL. And thats coming from a 5150 owner, which if you didnt know, is the same as 6505 with a different name.
Quote by littlemurph7976
If you have the choice of an ENGL or a 6505, get the ENGL. And thats coming from a 5150 owner, which if you didnt know, is the same as 6505 with a different name.

I am indeed aware that the 6505 is the same amp as the 5150. The 6505+ is slightly different however in that it has an extra preamp tube. I used my friend's 5150 while recording my band's demo in the studio and I liked it a lot. Then when I went to guitar center and played the 6505+ I laughed at the 5150. And like I said, I'm toying with the idea of using an engl CAB not the full stack. Same with the 6505, just the head not the whole thing. 6505+ linked to ENGL 4x12. Whaddya think, or should I go with the dual recto cab? I've already made the decision on the head.
Well the Recto cab has V30's and all ENGL cabs have V30s if Im not mistaken, so whichever is cheaper I guess.

I have a 5150II which is the same as the 6505+ haha

Awesome amps!!

But yeah, ENGL's are better IMO.
Pretty tied imo, but I would personally rather have a Mesa Recto Tremoverb.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Kurt Russell
I am indeed aware that the 6505 is the same amp as the 5150. The 6505+ is slightly different however in that it has an extra preamp tube. I used my friend's 5150 while recording my band's demo in the studio and I liked it a lot. Then when I went to guitar center and played the 6505+ I laughed at the 5150. And like I said, I'm toying with the idea of using an engl CAB not the full stack. Same with the 6505, just the head not the whole thing. 6505+ linked to ENGL 4x12. Whaddya think, or should I go with the dual recto cab? I've already made the decision on the head.

Bothering to get an ENGL cab really wouldn't make that much difference. That's added on top of the hassle of getting one from across the pond, and the price difference. It's much easier to find a used Recto cab, and they are great cabs.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by littlemurph7976
Well the Recto cab has V30's and all ENGL cabs have V30s if Im not mistaken, so whichever is cheaper I guess.

Now would you say these are the optimum speakers for said cabinets or should I consider getting different ones put in right off the bat? I really know nothing about speakers.
Quote by Kurt Russell
Now would you say these are the optimum speakers for said cabinets or should I consider getting different ones put in right off the bat? I really know nothing about speakers.

Im not really an expert on speakers myself, but V30's are generally considered to be the best speakers suited to metal and such. If I was you Id keep them in. I wanted V30's in my cab but got a good deal on the Hot 100's which sound slightly better IMO. But it's all personal preference.
Quote by El Codyo
It almost seems perfect cause one artist uses it?

No. It almost seems perfect because I have played the 6505+ and currently have it on layaway at guitar center because, heh, I decided that it was perfect for me. The only thing keeping it from being perfect is the right cab. Then it will be perfect. I'm hearing good things about these ENGL amps, and one of my favorite musicians uses it, whose tone I am trying to emulate to a certain extent. So there you have it.
Quote by Kurt Russell
Then when I went to guitar center and played the 6505+ I laughed at the 5150. And like I said, I'm toying with the idea of using an engl CAB not the full stack. Same with the 6505, just the head not the whole thing. 6505+ linked to ENGL 4x12. Whaddya think, or should I go with the dual recto cab? I've already made the decision on the head.

That's because the 5150 II is the same as the 6505+, not the 5150.

As for the cab, stick with the Recto cab, it's a great cab, unless you get the ENGL head, it's not going to really make *that* much of a difference.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
if it's an option for you i'd def look at modding the 6505+ http://www.fjamods.com/5150II.html

seems they can do alot with the clarity of the sound. I'd personally just change the output transformer and the choke.
Quote by Kurt Russell
My stack is going to be a peavey 6505+ on top of a dual recto cabinet, but this is making me reconsider the cab. Any advice?

If you're getting a Mesa cab, get a Traditional one, not the recto one.
Imo the Traditional doesn't mud up like the recto one.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Ibanez20th

though if you really want versatility, there are better engls than the powerball. IMO, the powerball is for modern metallers who play less heavy stuff once in a while. if you play any amount of the less heavy stuff, a savage, blackmore etc. would be a better choice.

also, if you want versatile, there are more amps than engl which are versatile.

Quote by Kurt Russell
Now how exactly do you pronounce ENGL? Is it like, En-Gull or do you just say all the letters individually?

like "angle", only with an "e" at the start. I used to think the "G" was soft (like in "strength"), but then a german on another forum said the name is bavarian in origin (or something like that) and they pronounce their "G"'s...

something like that.

i wouldn't say engls are "better" than rectos. I like rectos too. My main beef with mesa is their relative price in the UK- were I in the US, that'd be a much harder decision.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
though if you really want versatility, there are better engls than the powerball. IMO, the powerball is for modern metallers who play less heavy stuff once in a while. if you play any amount of the less heavy stuff, a savage, blackmore etc. would be a better choice.

also, if you want versatile, there are more amps than engl which are versatile.

like "angle", only with an "e" at the start. I used to think the "G" was soft (like in "strength"), but then a german on another forum said the name is bavarian in origin (or something like that) and they pronounce their "G"'s...

something like that.

i wouldn't say engls are "better" than rectos. I like rectos too. My main beef with mesa is their relative price in the UK- were I in the US, that'd be a much harder decision.
Oh. I say E-N-G-L. How much time I wasted
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yeah the dude's surname is engl.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by soccerdude3465
Bothering to get an ENGL cab really wouldn't make that much difference. That's added on top of the hassle of getting one from across the pond, and the price difference. It's much easier to find a used Recto cab, and they are great cabs.

musiciansfriend stocks engl it wouldnt be too hard to find...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158