BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Depends how you want your sound. They don't have as much brightness or twang, the people who like them say mellow. They are a very mellow string but can be somewhat dull, trebless, or brightless. It's really just preference, and really, some flats can be quite brightish.
more midrange, less sustain, saves on fret wear, they last forever, and a bit more difficult on your right hand because the flat stainless-steel surface really clings to your fingers.

I use them on my MIA Precision. They sound awesome.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Using them on a Thunderbird will make your tone (if at all possible) even muddier. Use them on a bass with a tonal output that amounts to more than someone farting in a mudbath and you'll get the flatwound tone everyone raves about.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by rob_bass_man
i've been thinking about buying some for mi thunderbird

I'm so sorry.

But using flatwounds on a bass isn't unheard of. Jamerson did it, and Steve Harris does it.
Search bar this, there was an exact thread like this and it had some good information. And, by the way, there was a point where there were only flatwound strings. But, again, search bar this and maybe necropost if it doesn't answer your questions.

Oh, and flats on a T-bird? Will you be able to tell the notes apart!?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Fast_Bear
Quesion

How mellow are flatwounds? I mean, I am thinking about getting them for my hollow body for a nice hollwo thump, but if they have no thump to them than I'll just stick with my mute.

On a fretless, very mellow... well, you probably know what a flatwound/fretless sounds like. On a fretted bass, they get pretty thumpy indeed. I believe the extremely thumpy "Money" bassline by Floyd was played on a fretted P with flatwounds.

A while back thefitz mentioned some taperwound brand for uber thump, nil top end, percussive uses, but I forget and he can cover for me if he wants.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Well, with a pick, I think flatwounds are THE definition of thump. With fingers, they're a bit too boomy to dig into, but with a pick, they're godly. A good pick P-Bass Flatwound sound is 'One of These Days' by Neil Young and 'You're Lost, Little Girl' by the Doors. Roger Waters uses flats, as well.

As far as nylon tapewounds go, their thump is almost comical. Playing these strings without a pick just isn't an option. Like Caustic said, they're all low end thump attack. No treble, no sustain. Check out the Rotosound website. Paul McCartney used nylons on Abbey Road (and to me he made it sound like smacking the side of an empty water tower with a hammer).

Fender actually makes nylon roundwounds. Don't ask.

EDIT: And about flats sounding like a double bass; you'd be surprised how much scale length effects the tone. You simply cannot get a proper upright tone unless your instrument has 36-43" scale.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by thefitz
You simply cannot get a proper upright tone unless your instrument has 36-43" scale.

Do they even make electrics larger than 36"?
Quote by Hergiswi
Do they even make electrics larger than 36"?

No... case in point, really.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
thefitz pretty much nailed this one. when i think of flats on frets, i think Roger Waters,
and Pink Floyd. very ominous sounding. i'm not sure how they would sound on a
T-bird, but heck, it could only help. i can't see your sound getting worse. good luck!
i love flats for live. rounds for recording.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.