Recently, some important family issues have come up, and although the two issues aren't really related, this one came up in my mind. For about three years, I've been on a crew rowing, and I'm pretty alright at it. I have friends there, it gets me exercise, and I love regattas. However, in the last couple of months, my dedication to making music has sky rocketed. My tunes have been getting more excellent with each stab, hell, I've even had some DJ play out a couple of them at parties. Needless to say, I truely love making music a lot. But I also love rowing, and if not that, I love being at rowing, and the friends I have there (there is a group of three of us that is tighter than you could imagine), but I'm not really sure. The thing is, I have time i could be making music which is taken up by rowing, and at the moment I see a future in music, while rowing is just something I do during high school to keep me social and in shape (which I can achieve in other ways).

What do you guys think? I know the decision would be fairly obvious to a bunch of guitar players, but please try to be serious.
yeah dude, im sire u can juggle both, just go for it...and rowing? ur from the U.K arent you?
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Do both, you can't row all the time, which leaves time for music after.

Actually, rowing is year round. I train my ass off in winter and summer, while I race in the fall and spring
Do both you'll regret not doing something you oviously love so much later on. There's time for both you just have to plan your days/nights out.
Yeah I'll have to agree with people here and say both. I know it must be a bit tricky but surely you could juggle the two around a bit to do both?
It all depends on what you mean by music though. If you're just writing and recording by yourself or with a band, and you don't have a tight schedule of practices or gigs or whatever then you can easily do both. It becomes a problem when the music becomes very serious (as in, times where you HAVE to do it).
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
The thing is, I'm not sure I could juggle both. When school was out, I had gapping amounts of time, so I could literally churn a tune out once a day. And rowing was cool then. Now that there's school, I get home have a snack, change, go to rowing, come home tired and beat as hell, work on homework, and pass out hard on my bed. I seriously have almost no time.
I would stick with rowing for now, and practice/make music in your spare time, if you have any. You can't physically row for you entire life, do it while your young and fit.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
One way to look at it is that music'll always be there, but your rowing life will only last as long as your at your current school
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Guitarist132
Both

get into some college off rowing

I'm not sure I'm good enough to get in on a scholarship. I could row in college, but I'm not sure what that'll do for me.
Quote by MastaBassist10
The thing is, I'm not sure I could juggle both. When school was out, I had gapping amounts of time, so I could literally churn a tune out once a day. And rowing was cool then. Now that there's school, I get home have a snack, change, go to rowing, come home tired and beat as hell, work on homework, and pass out hard on my bed. I seriously have almost no time.

Could you dedicate your weekends to music? Or wouldn't that be enough? Say during the week you could maybe write down any ideas or inspirations for tunes. I'm not sure how you come up with your tunes though mate so this could just be a load of crap
Music.
Music could potentially get you fame.
The only thing rowing could get you is a little further down a river.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Quote by AvengedThrice
Music.
The only thing rowing could get you is a little further down a river.

Don't forget the huge beefy arms and chest! That would help with the ladies...but that doesn't matter right now, this is about music and rowing
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Don't forget the huge beefy arms and chest! That would help with the ladies...but that doesn't matter right now, this is about music and rowing

True, true.

But hes not interested in rowing just to score by the sounds of it, lol.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Quote by AvengedThrice

But hes not interested in rowing just to score by the sounds of it, lol.

And he isn't intrested in music to get famous, and nor should you.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by soccermom

Woah, don't jump the gun.

I was merely suggesting that he could get a career out of music that has more potential than a career of rowing.

Wow, some people..
Quote by Ez0ph

He knows me well..
Quote by soccermom

Don't tell people what should and shouldn't motivate them. I'm sick of people giving it all this "holier than thou" attitude towards people expressing a desire to be famous. I, for one, am in a band for four reasons: fun, women, fame and money.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I agree with Yakult, though. Think of it this way Dan, you're going to be rowing throughout high school which is probably what? 2 years or so? While music is going to be there.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
I agree with Yakult, though. Think of it this way Dan, you're going to be rowing throughout high school which is probably what? 2 years or so? While music is going to be there.

That point works both ways, you could also say he will only have the chance to do rowing for the next few years but he'll have the rest of his life to play music, so he might as well do rowing while he has the chance, which is a more valid argument IMO...
Quote by bequickorbedead
That point works both ways, you could also say he will only have the chance to do rowing for the next few years but he'll have the rest of his life to play music, so he might as well do rowing while he has the chance, which is a more valid argument IMO...

Erm... That's exactly what we were both saying
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Make lists of the pros and cons of both, start cancelling stuff out, and whichever one has more pros than cons is the one you choose.

That's how I solve a lot of my problems.

Or, if all else fails, eeny-meeny-miney-mo.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Come on man, you're on a music forum.
Even you know the answer you're gonna get from us is obvious.

But on a neutral level, unless you're really good at either rowing or music(or marketing yourself), both career paths are pretty much on par in terms of making money, and it won't be easy.
Quote by AvengedThrice
Woah, don't jump the gun.

:

Quote by AvengedThrice

Looks pretty obvious what you were implying to me.
Quote by Malakian88

Indeed.
Quote by Yakult
Don't tell people what should and shouldn't motivate them. I'm sick of people giving it all this "holier than thou" attitude towards people expressing a desire to be famous. I, for one, am in a band for four reasons: fun, women, fame and money.

I never said you shouldn't be in a band for fun and money, just not fame.

Not because it is a shallow pursuit because I think it would only bring you grief.
Quote by Malakian88

Indeed.
Stick with rowing. It will be the only thing keeping you in shape and keep you with your friends, because you definitely won't stay in shape sitting in a chair all day making music. You're in highschool now and you should spend it doing whatever is keeping you more socially active. Keep doing your music producing the times you have off and then senior year stop with rowing and focus on your music (Didn't you say you wanted to move to england and get into the jungle scene?)