So here's my story. I started out playing bass when I was 12, because I wanted to play along with my brother who played guitar. About a year later I'd gotten pretty good on it, but he gave up guitar so I decided to get a guitar because I didn't enjoy playing bass by myself as much (I couldn't do a whole lot of slapping yet). I've been primarily playing guitar now for about 4 years, occasionally going back to the old bass to learn how to slap, which I think i've gotten pretty good at. Anyways, recently my interest in bass has been rekindled thanks to my discovery of les claypool and victor wooten, and a bass-playing friend of mine. Now I really want to get back into bass and have been with my old one, but I think it's holding me back (An old ibanez jumpstart bass). Whenever I go to a music store I can play so much better on those basses then mine with really high action. So now I really want a new bass and I have around 300-400 dollars to spend. What I really want though is a 6 string bass, my friend has one and I've played one before and I'm really comfortable with it, so that's not an issue. The problem is finding a decent one in my price range. The cheapest one I've seen is a rouge for about 250, but I'm concerned about the quality. Right now I'm thinking a used ibanez soundgear or schecter. anyone have any ideas?

sorry about the long post.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Well, I know that Schecter Stilettos are good, and they do make a 6-string. However, I've only played their 4-string, so I can't tell if their 6-string is lower quality or something like that.
if you want a good 6 string, i would recomend the fender basses, although its rare to find a 6-string fender its definetly worth it. if not yamaha makes very good basses for a low price, and i can almost guarantee you, you will find a 6 strign yamaha. i strongly encourage you to try out the yamaha. good luck.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
soundgears are nice i have one (a 4 string) and i cant say ive had a problem with it
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
I recommend Yamaha basses, exelent quality for the price
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
I really like my Cort Artisan A4, and I'm very sure they do a 6 string version, but I've never played one so I have no idea what it'll be like.

As said above, I have played Yamaha 6 strings and they are very nice.
i have that rouge ur talking about.
its really not that good, unless u like buzz everywhere on the neck. its strings are also kinda close together so its much harder to slap.
i still use a squirer skullz thing for gigs and practices...
but it works, especially if you dont want to spend a 600$.
i cant think of a good sig....
I recommend the Ibanez SR series, they're amazingly versatile, you can get almost any tone out of one, especially if you get the ones with the Bartolini electronics (SR506, SR906...) Though there kinda out of your price range, I suggest you save up for one, trust me, you won't need it replaced for a LONG time.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by kasso99
Bought this on ebay brand-new for 135 US dollars. See if they will ship to the US, as they make these in Germany. GREAT speed on the neck.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/kasso99/pictures/gear/66403/

I really like the look of that, does this company have a website?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
I really like the look of that, does this company have a website?

Don't forget, most companies don't pull prices out of their asses. It's a $135 bass. I hope you're not expecting it to be even remotely approaching the quality of your Ibanez. Why downgrade?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Don't forget, most companies don't pull prices out of their asses. It's a $135 bass. I hope you're not expecting it to be even remotely approaching the quality of your Ibanez. Why downgrade?

It sounded like he thought it was good quality, don't be hatin'.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
It sounded like he thought it was good quality, don't be hatin'.

There's quite a difference between hatin' and advisin'. And let's not forget, I've been known to hate more.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The neck is SO smooth and easy to play on. And for being a 6 string, it is the thinnest neck I have ever used. Nothing comes close to it. The company built the guitar to my specs (color choice, right handed, and action for ADG... tuning) after I ordered it.

Couple drawbacks: Well, the company wasn't the greatest on shipping, took to long to get to the address. The body is great, but the guitar is extremely neck heavy. If you don't have a problem with it (i don't) then you'll be fine. Even though the proportion of weight is a little off, the guitar is one of the lightest I have played.

With all the pros and cons, I'd say for 135 bucks (100 Euros) that I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to own a 6string that I feel confident enough to play on stage. I'll probably get a 6 string Ibanez BTB when I get the money... as those are all over 600 dollars.

Here's the link:

http://stores.ebay.com/H-S-Guitars