I'm thinking about selling my Laney and cab and getting a new SS digital amp or maybe a 5-15 watter tube. I don't really want a LOUD amp. The style of music I play varies a lot. Sometimes I play 80s hard rock, sometimes I play metal (think older Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree), sometimes I play jazz fusion (think Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan).

Any suggestions?
I wouldn't get a digital amp if I were you, unless you really had no choice. A 15 watt valve amp should be fine for you. Something like a Crate Palomino V16 with an overdrive pedal might be good for you, but I've never played one myself. Still, they're recommended by a lot of people around here.

If you really wanted a digital amp, you could look into a modeller like the Line 6 Flextone but a valve amp will sound better. Won't have all the effects and amp models that the Flextone has, though, so if that's the sort of thing you want then maybe it'd be better...

Which do you play most out of those styles?

Edit: You might also want to look into one of these, but again you'd probably need an overdrive if you wanted to get really heavy.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Edition-Tube-20th-Anniversary-Model-Combo-Amp?sku=480426
Last edited by Denthúl at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by Denthúl
I wouldn't get a digital amp if I were you, unless you really had no choice. A 15 watt valve amp should be fine for you. Something like a Crate Palomino V16 with an overdrive pedal might be good for you, but I've never played one myself. Still, they're recommended by a lot of people around here.

If you really wanted a digital amp, you could look into a modeller like the Line 6 Flextone but a valve amp will sound better. Won't have all the effects and amp models that the Flextone has, though, so if that's the sort of thing you want then maybe it'd be better...

Which do you play most out of those styles?

Yeah, I don't know. I've gone through phases. Versatility is what I would prefer, and with my Laney being a one-trick-pony (a really rocking one trick pony), it really doesn't satisfy me. I'm not a real big on effects, but I'd like having very different tonal options with distortion, I guess.
if versatility is what you want then digital is def the way to go i would check out line 6 stay away from the spiders tho they're geared towards metal mostly but flextone.. vetta.. duo verb those are probably more what your lookin for
I also figure a multi-FX processor or FX pedal might be a cheaper option. Do any of you guys know of a pedal that might fit the bill?
orange tiny terror! Amazing valve amp for about $700 with a 1x12. And it's 15 watts.
If you need a lot of gain get an overdrive like the tubescreamer.
Last edited by Horlicks at Sep 8, 2007,
No. No. No. No. No. Really goddamn no. Those Laneys are absolutely amazing amps. I don't know any modelling things that sound even near. Be it pedals or amps, you'd be downgrading. What do you want from your amp?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Horlicks
orange tiny terror! Amazing valve amp for about $700 with a 1x12. And it's 15 watts.
If you need a lot of gain get an overdrive like the tubescreamer.

I'm really not a fan of the Tiny Terror.

Quote by MrCarrot
No. No. No. No. No. Really goddamn no. Those Laneys are absolutely amazing amps. I don't know any modelling things that sound even near. Be it pedals or amps, you'd be downgrading. What do you want from your amp?

Versatility. Tell me an amp with that for under a grand. Be it tube or SS.
Quote by felenoral
I'm really not a fan of the Tiny Terror.

Versatility. Tell me an amp with that for under a grand. Be it tube or SS.

Laney VC50?

I mean, just look at all them knobs!
although that's probably a bit loud

another option is to buy an attenuator for your current laney
Last edited by Horlicks at Sep 8, 2007,
Well, the best sounding 'multi-effects' for you to get a tube sound and not be overpoweringly loud....

Atomic Reactor 112 18watter(an all tube power-amp with a special speaker made specifically for modelers)
Vox Tonelab LE to use as it's preamp.

There ya go!

http://atomicamps.com/buy.html
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Tonelab-LE-Valvetronix-Floor-Modeling-Pedal?sku=150246

You could use a Pod too if you wanted, either would sound good.

EDIT: D'oh, just realized you are Canadian, so that is probably just out of your budget.
VC for Dream Theater?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
VC for Dream Theater?

if you're talking about the VC50 - it's not the same range of VC vintage amps - it's more like the GH's

And at low volume a vc30 can do dream theater with an EQ
Quote by eXperiment63
Well, the best sounding 'multi-effects' for you to get a tube sound and not be overpoweringly loud....

Atomic Reactor 112 18watter(an all tube power-amp with a special speaker made specifically for modelers)
Vox Tonelab LE to use as it's preamp.

There ya go!

http://atomicamps.com/buy.html
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Tonelab-LE-Valvetronix-Floor-Modeling-Pedal?sku=150246

You could use a Pod too if you wanted, either would sound good.

EDIT: D'oh, just realized you are Canadian, so that is probably just out of your budget.

Atomics are so cool
Yes they are, they are amazing. Getting one and a pod would probably be within your budget, as you can get pods cheaper than the tonelab. Also, by the end of the month the pod xt live should drop in price some as the pod 3.0 is coming out. There are TONS of tones on their patch exchange for the xt.
Quote by philipisabeast
if you're talking about the VC50 - it's not the same range of VC vintage amps - it's more like the GH's

And at low volume a vc30 can do dream theater with an EQ

Exactly.... VC50 is basically a combo version of the VH100.

If you dont like your AOR head, try trade if for a GH50L.. Or TT50
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
I would wait for the Spider Valve. Try it out when it is released, wait about 2 months if you intend on buying it.

I have pretty high expectations for the Spider Valve.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^ I sure don't.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by Nocomment
^ I sure don't.

You must not realize that it's not based on the spider's actual preamp. The amp is designed with the same layout as the spider, (knob with clean, blues, crunch, metal, insane) tones completely different but in the same layout.

Play an HD-147, Vetta II, or Flextone and you'll understand that the Spider isn't what Line 6 is about.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Nocomment
^ I sure don't.

also, the tube sections are designed by bogner. i'm kind of excited to see how it sounds as well.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips