Hey, I'm mainly play guitar but I want to pick up bass to play on the side. I mainly listen to the chili peppers. Can anyone recommend me a bass and amp? Not too much though maybe $500 max.
The best basses in that price range in my opinion are the standard Fenders. Whether you choose a Jazz or Precision is up to your personal preference though.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Fender Jazz seems to be the default choice for people wanting a bright punchy tone on that kind of budget, though I believe Schecter Stiletto's are in that price range and they're popular, adaptable basses (though fitted with humbuckers, which some dislike).
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Ah, but if he's into Chili Peppers, he's probably interested in slap... and I find P/J setups are somewhat lacking in great slap tone. You can get a workable one from it, but P pickups are probably the worst for slap bass. And that amp has an 8" speaker! That's pretty shady even for starter packs.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
well I know the bass player in my band is going to buy a J-Bass (Jazz Bass)
I Play in a Hardcore/Southern Rock Band, and he said its amazing for that music. I would also think it would be good for Jazz since thats what its called. I dont know anything about bass but he does. Its costs about 469$ or something like that.
Quote by Caustic
Ah, but if he's into Chili Peppers, he's probably interested in slap... and I find P/J setups are somewhat lacking in great slap tone. You can get a workable one from it, but P pickups are probably the worst for slap bass. And that amp has an 8" speaker! That's pretty shady even for starter packs.

First, it has a very versitle sound. I personally love the fact that you can go from the awesome trebly slap tone of a bridge pickup to an awesome warm punchy sound of a P pickup. Remember, there is more to bass than just slap!
(edit) The bass is also made of real ****ing wood! Not some plywood bull**** like cheaper basses! That is a damn good starter bass!

Second, most starter bass amps have 8" speakers in em. but this one is made by Eden! (Eden = ****ING AWESOME!)
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by Fast_Bear
First, it has a very versitle sound. I personally love the fact that you can go from the awesome trebly slap tone of a bridge pickup to an awesome warm punchy sound of a P pickup. Remember, there is more to bass than just slap!
(edit) The bass is also made of real ****ing wood! Not some plywood bull**** like cheaper basses! That is a damn good starter bass!

Second, most starter bass amps have 8" speakers in em. but this one is made by Eden! (Eden = ****ING AWESOME!)

Woah, chill. I never said it was a bad bass.

I know P/J basses have versatile tonal capabilities. It's why I play one. But I don't slap much either.

My concern was that if the threadstarter is very into his Chilli Peppers type music, he'll probably want a bass that will handle slap and provide a Flea-esque bright, punchy, funky tone. And slap is more than just treble, remember. My biggest gripe with most amateur slap bassists is that they think slap is all "zing, ding" sounds and don't have any umph in their tone, which comes from mostly soloing the bridge pickup.

Yes, that bass is made of real wood, it's a good starter bass... but consider that perhaps, there are entry level basses more suited to this person, who has an idea of the sound he wants.

Plus, the guy gave us a fairly generous budget, in which I'd recommend in that he could pick up a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz (real maple body, before you scoff) and probably one of the smll Ashdowns or one of the Crate or Roland practice combo's and have a much more suitable start in the bass playing world.