My band is starting to gig a little bit and we're about to buy a Behringer Mixer to power our vocal speakers better. Pretty soon, we're also gonna be recording stuff ourselves, using our friends drum mikes and a few other mikes. I've decided on buying a good mike to use to mike our amps and to use live.
I know Shure SM57 miks are supposed to be good for miking amps, but do they do vocals justice?
If it's not, then would the SM58 be a better choice? Any other suggestions?

Also, my friends wants to know what the difference is between a mixer like this one and the Behringer I posted earlier. I've told him what I thought was right, which is that they both can be used for recording things and powering a PA but one of them is shaped better for sitting on a table to record, while he thinks that they're specialized, ones for recording and ones just for running PAs

Also, sorry if this isn't supposed to be here. I know this isn't exactly guitar gear.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
They're essentially the same....the just one is in a traditional mixer shape, and the other is more of a head. They also push different wattages.

As long as you get a powered mixer, you'll be fine.

For living guitar cab micing, I love the Sennheisser e609. The 57 is a great backing vocal mic....not so much a live vocal one. For that, I love the Shure Beta 58....much better than the regular 58....but if you're on a budget, the regular 58 will do the job.
Last edited by ibanez4life SZ! at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
They're essentially the same....the just one is in a traditional mixer shape, and the other is more of a head. They also push different wattages.

As long as you get a powered mixer, you'll be fine.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the help. I know they push different wattages, I just found the first mixer of the other design I could.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2