OK, so I've been looking all over the internet for information concerning this thread's title; and for what little I can find none of its exactly what I want. See, I've been playing guitars for most of my life and have become very interested in building them (hopefully for a high profile company). I was wondering what kind of education do I need to get into the design field...(my best guess is auto-cad)... Also, can anyone recommend any kind of reading material on the subject? Schools are so high priced and I dont have enough money to up and move somewhere to build guitars just to start at the very bottom of their totem pole. I'm also kindda interested in amplifier design, and since I'd want to focus mostly on electric guitars, do you think maybe a degree in electrical engineering would be worth while? ANY information concerning this would be greatly appreciated...or even a push in the right direction. Thanks alot
he wants a JOB not just to do it for fun.

but they are right, you should have some experiance just doing it at home before you go trying to get a job for a big company.

as for design...i haven't seen many new guitar body designs come out lately except the reverse V (shudder) and that's just a V flipped upside down so i dunno how much big companies are actually spending on designing new styles of guitars. I believe there is a post from a guy who *claims* to work for the gibson factory in the Electric guitar forum right now, check that out too.

good luck
Holy crap! I've been looking ever for that site (project guitar). I was actually beginning to think that the only thing the internet didn't have was a site like that. Thank you so much. Any info on the education question though? I know they aren't just going to let me walk in the door and start designing
Reverse V is a sick joke

There are actually a lot of new designs, but I heard that it costs a damn lot of money (literally millions of dollars, for some reason) do develop them. I dunno why they cost so much.

There are original designs, though. Look at the Fernandes Ravelle: that's based on a Les Paul, but it looks fresh and interesting. Same with the Washburn Idol and Maya series. Ever seen those before? Don't think so.

EDIT:
There are luthier schools, but you need some qualifications to get in. I dunno which, though. It's probably like a university.

There are also these building classes in the UK and US where they teach a group to build guitars, step by step, and each student builds an axe (or 2) of their choice as the final exam.

Are you in the US or UK? I'm sorry, I dont know where myrtle beach is
Last edited by sashki at Sep 8, 2007,
Its actually not that hard to get into a position with a guitar company. I was recently about to move to memphis to work at the gibson factory there. Had everything lined up just had to go in for a face to face interview. Then reason took over (no money) and I decided against it. Since they only start you out at like $10.95 an hour I think...if my memory serves...
Quote by dominion8
Its actually not that hard to get into a position with a guitar company. I was recently about to move to memphis to work at the gibson factory there. Had everything lined up just had to go in for a face to face interview. Then reason took over (no money) and I decided against it. Since they only start you out at like $10.95 an hour I think...if my memory serves...

HOLY ****ING **** ON A STICK!

I'd love to work at Gibson for 11 bucks an hour! Maybe as a part time job. I wonder what they do? Probably general construction: bolting parts together.

Shame I'm in Switzerland...
yeah, from what I could gather thats what they do. The position I was possibly/probably gonna get was as a sander. But it takes so much money to move and to even start living that far away with no family or friends (at first) to lend a hand. If I had some kind of qualification that would start me off a little better believe me I woulda jumped. 3 words for ya -employee purchase program.