hey guys. im getting my first tube amp soon and would like to know a few things.
the main question is what are the essential pieces of equipment for tube amps (eg. effects, ods, cable quality, maintenance). id also like to know if running a multi-effects into it (for delays only really, plus tuning) have a negative effect on the sound, as in would it suck tone. my unit is a zoom g2.1. some advice on what brand of the essential quipment would be appreciated thanks guys
btw the amp im getting is a peavey valveking if that helps at all, and my music styles are most rocks, classic, modern, hard, metal, blues. and others.
thanks again
well, you want true bypass effects...and you would want to use overdrive pedals on them, opposed to distortions...

I think the zoom will sound like ass though...

Look into an Ibanez tubescreamer 808 or a maxon 808 for overdrives. There's also visualsound jeykyll & hyde which will sound good, and a cheaper alternative for a tubescreamer would be a digitech bad monkey.
When I use my Digitech RP50 with my Peavey XXX it sounds like complete **** and I get terrible feedback. I dont think a Multi effects pedal is the way to go unless its high end. Id go for single stomp box effects because they normally sound better anyway. As far as maitenance and stuff like that, the power tubes need to be replaced every so often, I have heard an average is about 6 months, but Ive been using my Peavey for 8 months now and the tubes are still fine. The VK is a decent beginner tube amp, but if your playing metal, you may need an overdrive pedal to get the amount of gain you need.
just dont do multi effects ever. single pedals will sound fine with a tube amp
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
what if i leave the zoom in bypass for the tuner so i dont have to buy one, wud that be ok, it would also work for volume pedal then, would if effect the tone like that???
Quote by NiK-117
what if i leave the zoom in bypass for the tuner so i dont have to buy one, wud that be ok, it would also work for volume pedal then, would if effect the tone like that???

I don't think it'd be that bad if you leave it in the tuner mode, though it still might suck a little tone, I've never tried mine through my 5150 cause I don't like any of its models anymore and I have all the effects in singles if I wanted to use them.

I'd say, another essential that wasn't listed is, if you're going to be playing a lot of hi-gain stuff, you'll probably want a Noise Suppressor because hi-gain amps can get pretty crazy feedback at higher volumes, I'd suggest an ISP Decimator, best one on the market.

Quote by thetoastinator
As far as maitenance and stuff like that, the power tubes need to be replaced every so often, I have heard an average is about 6 months, but Ive been using my Peavey for 8 months now and the tubes are still fine.

There's no way you need to replace power tubes that often, that's crazy. If you have good tubes and aren't playing it 24 hours a day and are letting it heat up properly, they should last about 2 years, maybe even longer.

The power tubes in my 5150 when they went out a few months ago were still the originals, it was made a lot longer ago than 6 months...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by NiK-117
hey guys. im getting my first tube amp soon and would like to know a few things.
the main question is what are the essential pieces of equipment for tube amps (eg. effects, ods, cable quality, maintenance). id also like to know if running a multi-effects into it (for delays only really, plus tuning) have a negative effect on the sound, as in would it suck tone. my unit is a zoom g2.1. some advice on what brand of the essential quipment would be appreciated thanks guys
btw the amp im getting is a peavey valveking if that helps at all, and my music styles are most rocks, classic, modern, hard, metal, blues. and others.
thanks again

Best guitar sounds I've ever heard are a good guitar plugged straight into a good amp. Nothing to mess up the tone, let the valves do their thing, that's what they're there for. Unless of course, you want a delay or something non-OD related. When you do have pedlas, try to get true bypass stuff. If you know how to solder, check out www.buildyourownclone.com. They have a pretty sweet delay unit that is true bypass, unlike most production units.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
Best guitar sounds I've ever heard are a good guitar plugged straight into a good amp. Nothing to mess up the tone, let the valves do their thing, that's what they're there for...

Well put - nothing beats a great amp and crappy pedals aren't necessary when you have a great amp! I have a few amps and a few pedals but usually play JUST AMP AND GUITAR...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!