I've been thinking about converting my Peavey Valveking into a sort of "mini" stack; As in, removing the speaker from the amp and making that a head, and then making a 2x12 cabinet. I also wanted to spice up the looks a bit; I've already added some red knobs to my amp, but I was trying to think up some ideas on how to give it a better look overall. I've made an image:

THIS

TO THIS

Okay, what I want to ask is:

Is this possible? I can't really see any reason why it shouldn't be, but I'm not well versed in amp building/modifications.
Is it even worth it? I want to get some more volume out of it and a better souund...I was gonna use higher quality speakers than the stock valveking 12".
Well, itd look cooler and I dont see it not being possible Jenny did it with her MG.
As for imrpovements, more spekaers push more air better speakers sound better. It isn't going to be huge.
The new speaker will make a difference to the sound you didn't think would be possible- it'll be a completely new amp. And yeah, the way Peavey puts stuff in the enclosure it's easy to do what you want to.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Long as there is an ex. speaker jack then yeah. Just re-house the amp. Better speakers/tubes will make the VK sound much better.

Cant wait to see what becomes of this idea
story of a mg...
here it is under an epi.

i wanted an extra cab, and some extra room. so i took it apart...
mg's are crap, so it took about a day, to separate the guts, and make an enclosure for it.

after. i wanted a mate for my blues jr so...

on the left. bottom, with weber speaker.

and the mg head is easily stored, out of the way on a shelf. in case my cousin wants to borrow it. it's got an 8ohm plug in the back.

i think you should go for it. good luck,
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
TS, that's not really "mini."

That's just a head and a 1x12 cabinet!

Quote by Rum Monkey
Long as there is an ex. speaker jack then yeah. Just re-house the amp. Better speakers/tubes will make the VK sound much better.

That would make it easier, yeah, but all he has to do is solder jacks to the output transformer. To be honest, I forget if there should be wires coming from the OT or if there's spots you solder to. I think there's wires, but I don't remember. There's probably going to only be one impendence wire.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Last edited by rafarquhar at Sep 9, 2007,
jj1565 - that's great, good job Definitly inspired me to go ahead with this project. I'm gonna go browse through the stick on cabs and start whipping up some ideas. BTW, where did you get all the finishing material you put on the wood (I dunno what it is, is it leather!?)

rafarquhar - it's actually meant to be a 2x12 cab. I dunno what the correct term for that is... a quater stack!?

Rum_Monkey - I've actually already replaced the tubes I've ordered a new speaker, which I was just going to replace in the combo, but then decided I'd quite like to make a 2x12 cab!

EDIT: Minimum speaker impedance on my VK is 16ohm... so two 12" 16ohm speakers in the cab should be fine?
Last edited by Mathamology at Sep 9, 2007,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141936

Make sure you wire it right for the correct impedance. But it should be easy enough. I'd just cut the bottom off, leaving about 3" clearance for the valves so they don't damage the wood, nail a new bit of wood on the bottom and re-tolex it all to look more uniform. I wouldn't bother adjusting the size of the 'head', it's jsut alot of work and short heads look cool anyway IMO. Then for the cab you just make a frame out of 2x4s and nail all the other wood bits on. You then make a baffle for speaker mounting, route out the holes for speakers and fix it in the frame using dowels and wood glue (Screws/nails come loose from speaker vibration). You then mount your speaker and decorate it...

It's alot of work. I was going to make one but it's a bit too much really..
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ I've been looking at wiring, and I'm not really sure how I'd get a 16ohm impedance out of two 16ohm speakers. I say two 16ohm speakers, because I already ordered a 16ohm speaker to replace the stock speaker in the amp... then I decided to make a 2x12 cab.
Hmm, so you want to use the stock with the new in a 2x12? You'd need series/parallel wiring for that.
No, I was going to buy another new speaker... Yeah, that's what I thought, but then I looked at the diagrams and for a 2x12 it kinda looks like it would just end up as series wiring?! which would give me 32ohm?
Woah, those diagrams are damn confusing... I'm afraid I can't help you with the wiring.
Hmmm... the more I look at these diagrams, the more it seems that I can't get the impedance I need, considering I already have a 16ohm speaker, unless I go for a 4x12 cabinet. If there isn't a way round it, I might just stick with replacing the stock speaker in my combo like I had planned originally.
hey, i covered it with a faux leather vinyl material i bought from a craft/ sewing store near me. looks and feel just like tolex. i think i bought a yard of it for about $12.
it's not quite as strong. but it was only for the mg so i didnt mind.

that was my first attempt at amp covering. looks fine, but i would do the corners much better now.
they sell all purpose fabric glue and i had the staple gun already.

no valves, so this project really only took a day and a half.

alot of guys swap out the speakers in their Valveking. i think that alone, would be a huge improvement.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ +1. VK stock speakers and valves are horrid. Change those and you're left with what's really quite a nice amp. When people complain about VKs being bland, it's fixed by valves and speakers.

How do you find those new valves Math?
Quote by MrCarrot
^ +1. VK stock speakers and valves are horrid. Change those and you're left with what's really quite a nice amp. When people complain about VKs being bland, it's fixed by valves and speakers.

How do you find those new valves Math?

The new valves are indeed ace. I've sent Watford Valves an email asking to change my order to an 8ohm speaker. Then I'll get another 8ohm speaker, wire them in series and BAM! 16ohms.

Okay, I seem to be getting very little response in the Only Cab Building thread, so I decided to try in here because I need to get my designs ready a.s.a.p!

I have my two speakers now and I want to arrange them thusly:

But, I really need help designing the cab, the frame, the finish, the electronics... everything!

So, i have to design a frame... Then what? What do I mount the speakers onto?

Sorry, that may have been a bit vague, but I feel somewhat confused as to how to design this cab. I'll post up blueprints before I make it.
Blue Prints:

No-one really seems to pay attention to the only cab building thread... Can someone please look at the these and see if everything looks okay, bearing in mind the above diagram of where the speakers are going

hey man, i'm thinking on doing this to my peavey 5150. how do you plan on getting the front off including the peavey symbol?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by lua4x
hey man, i'm thinking on doing this to my peavey 5150. how do you plan on getting the front off including the peavey symbol?

Isn't your 5150 already a head? (Please pardon my ignorance)

Hmmm, well, I'll see how it all comes apart. I've had the main section/circuit board out many a time for minor repairs, so that bit shouldn't be difficult. I'm thinking of building a whole new head with the guts of the combo, and do the ever popular plexi-glass LED lit front.

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE LOOK AT AND APPROVE MY BLUEPRINTS FOR A FRAME (ABOVE)?