I've used the search button and can't seem to find any info on it. Also when you search for it you get a massive amount of info that has nothing to do with it.
I'm looking to replace the pots in my epi spec II, hoping to get a better tone, and i'm wondering if I have to replace it with a special kind of pot for the tone? and a diffrent one for the volume?, and the capaciter, does it have to be a special kind?
^i personally hesitate from buying from guitarfetish.com
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yes, but I have access to free pots and free caps... due to fixing a few guitars for people who have no electrical experience but work at Ratshack. that's why i'm asking the question. Cuz If i can get a better tone with diffrent pots... or diffrent capaciter i'll just snag the better ones.
^good quality from china (i've heard korea too). GFS pickups are full of crap did u know? and all their stuff (pots excluded. they have alpha pots) are asian copy imports. thats why they're cheap.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
lol well i love my superstrat wiring kit, and my new les paul roller bridge, so i cant complain
You'll need audio taper pots for the volume- 500K, maybe 250K if you want a less bright tone. Same values for the tone pots, but you can use either audio or linear. Some people like one over the other, I personally don't really care that much. As for the caps, anything of the right value. You'll probably want .022 microfarads with your buckers, but for a less bright tone you can increase the value. If you want brighter, decrease the value of the caps. Apparently Orange Drop caps are really good, maybe you should look into those.
Quote by cokeisbetter
You'll need audio taper pots for the volume- 500K, maybe 250K if you want a less bright tone. Same values for the tone pots, but you can use either audio or linear. Some people like one over the other, I personally don't really care that much. As for the caps, anything of the right value. You'll probably want .022 microfarads with your buckers, but for a less bright tone you can increase the value. If you want brighter, decrease the value of the caps. Apparently Orange Drop caps are really good, maybe you should look into those.

woot, thanks man answered my question. So droping the values of the pots makes it less bright, and increaseing it makes it brighter. 500k being good? and use the same value for the tone pot? what's the difrents between linear and audio for the tone pot?

I ask this because I can get ahold of a 1 meg-ohm pot... which is double the 500k O.o
Last edited by WickedBeast666 at Sep 8, 2007,
i would just be über bright
Quote by Nick111111111
Am i missing some thing
car speaker=12 watts
outlet=120 watts
?????????????????

laws of phisics down the dump....... volts and watts are the same
A is audio tapper and B is linear... its just whow the variable resistance changes along the turning of the knob
Quote by Nick111111111
Am i missing some thing
car speaker=12 watts
outlet=120 watts
?????????????????

yah, Liniar goes in a line patern so when it's at 5 it's at truly 50% and audio goes at a curve... though i don't rember the forumula, but when it's at 5, it's more like 35-45% or something like that.
logarithmic curve in the first 10% of the turn you loose like 70% of the resistance
Quote by Nick111111111
Am i missing some thing
car speaker=12 watts
outlet=120 watts
?????????????????