I'm planning/thinking about building a guitar and today i was in the shed and found some wood. unfortunately its too thin width-wise to make a good sized guitar shape, so i was wonderin if you can stick two pieces together without messing up the sustain or the sound too badly. this is my first guitar so it doesnt really matter if it sounds too bad but im also hopin it wouldnt cause problems later on in the build stage...... sorry if thats a bit long and cheers for any help

Nick
Make sure it's a hard wood. Soft wood from evergreen trees don't work well at all.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
^im pretty sure its a hardwood cos i think it was part of a shelve or somethin previously but wat type of wood i dont know :S i would post a pic but this is like my 4th post so im not entirely sure how. i think i might have phrased it badly earlier, i dont want to put one piece on top of the other i want to put them together side by side to make the body wide enough
Quote by 595escape!
^im pretty sure its a hardwood cos i think it was part of a shelve or somethin previously but wat type of wood i dont know :S i would post a pic but this is like my 4th post so im not entirely sure how. i think i might have phrased it badly earlier, i dont want to put one piece on top of the other i want to put them together side by side to make the body wide enough

Should work, too. Some bodies have 2,3,4, or even 5 pieces.

Not to discourage you but there's a lot more to consider than just the body if you plan to make a functioning guitar! Are you going to make your own neck and fingerboard as well? Bolt-on or set-in? If so what scale as you'll need to know this prior to designing your body in order to locate your bridge. If you are really interested consider buying the body and neck unfinished and you can still have the fun of finishing & assemblying your own guitar as be sure it'll work too! Try Warmoth as they have a lot of selections for surprisingly little money. If not Stew-Mac or Luthiers Merchantile also sell on-line parts. Good luck.
^Yeh i know im probably going to buy a bolt on because i reckon it'll be quite hard to make a neck and fit a truss rod and get all the frets right. I do have a basic idea of how to put together a guitar though and how to work out where the parts go. does anyone know any sites like Stew-Mac and Warmoth that are in the UK? cheers
^ ebay try for necks and bodys mate, the UKs pretty **** for sites like this.
try www.axesrus.com for parts.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
bump.... and also i found out that the wood was pine, im not sure if that wood be very good for buildin a guitar or not.
Pine will work for a guitar, many of the early telecaster esquires were made out of pine. I'm actually planning on making a telecaster out of pine in the near future.
^It'll sound **** though....:P
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by roast
^It'll sound **** though....:P

Know that from personal experience, do you?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Pine....can never sound good on a guitar. Trust me.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12