hey,

I'am looking for a bass to play some progressive/metal and jazz kinda sounds a bit like opeth and i was thinking to purchase one of these 3 bass:

-fender-Marcus Miller Jazz Bass
-Musicman stingray5
-warwick corvette$$nt
I'd get a H/S Bongo. Bongos can give you a lot of different tones. What amp are you using currently though? If you're using a shitty amp don't expect any of those basses to sound great.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I really like the Marcus Miller Jazz.

The Jazz pups will be very versitle, so you can jump from metal to jazz really easily.

That, and if you get it in olympic white, it looks like a dream.
With the exception of neck-thru, the Stingray and the $$ sound eerily similar (there's no escaping that humbucker tone). If you're looking for that Warwick growl, get a different Warwick.

The question is: do you want a single coil tone with the potential for versitility, or do you want your tone to be branded with that humbucker sound that some people love so much?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by mysticpop
hey,

I'am looking for a bass to play some progressive/metal and jazz kinda sounds a bit like opeth and i was thinking to purchase one of these 3 bass:

-fender-Marcus Miller Jazz Bass
-Musicman stingray5
-warwick corvette$$nt

three good choices. thefitz raises some interesting questions, that you need to explore. i would prefer the MM Jazz, but i am Fender biased, and not a fan of Humbuckers on bass. play everything in your budget range, the right one will grab you! good luck! thet us know what you decide.
If you have any time, take a ****ty bass and make it good.

I use a squire P bass......

But it has Billy Sheehan signature dimarzio split p and neck willpower pickups
a hipshot d-tuner
scalloped 17-20 frets

now worth £310, basically a Billy Sheehan Signature Attitude bass worth £800.

Now I call that a massive saving! And I customed it myself, so theres a certain degree of personal satisfaction in playing it!
Martin Mendez from Opeth uses the Marcus Miller Jazz bass, if that means anything to you. It's a very nice bass.

In the price range you seem to be going for though, I'd probably go for a Warwick with single coils, like a Thumb or Corvette STD
Actually, you have built in coil taps for the $$, so you can have almost single coil tone on it :p.

But honestly, you're spending a lot of money, try them out. All are quality basses and all are versitile, so you just need to try them out yourself.

EDIT

If you have any time, take a ****ty bass and make it good.If you have any time, take a ****ty bass and make it good.

I use a squire P bass......

But it has Billy Sheehan signature dimarzio split p and neck willpower pickups
a hipshot d-tuner
scalloped 17-20 frets

now worth £310, basically a Billy Sheehan Signature Attitude bass worth £800.

Now I call that a massive saving! And I customed it myself, so theres a certain degree of personal satisfaction in playing it!

Have you ever considered that the Actual thing will have much better woods in it, and far better construction (accuracy in the neck joint for example)? A pimped squire will never be as good a a fender (well, maybe a VM Squire to a MIM Fender, but no squire will match the higher quality fenders by upgrading the pups.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Sep 8, 2007,