im thinking of upgrading my laney vc30 212 speakers. At the moment they're the seventy 80s and i was looking at the eminence private jacks or one of these sets with the valves:
http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1440
http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1464
i play british indie stuff from the cribs to the clash, smiths to arctic monkeys. any suggestions what to get
I'm thinking about doing this with my VC30-112 and i was thinking about the V30's but i've been warned that they just wouldn't suit the amp voicing, and to get the G12H instead, but anyones help could be excellent - i like the idea of the Vintage 30
Last edited by philipisabeast at Sep 8, 2007,
Well I'd recommend Eminence Red Fangs. I have one in my Orange and it's great. The speaker is voiced very similar to a Celestion Blue. The VC30 has a Vox-y character to it and a Red Fang would suit it perfectly.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
i looked at the red fangs but they werent that much cheaper than the celestion blues they were replicating
Last edited by bobeatsbob at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by philipisabeast
This? http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=REDFANG&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=4

It says its power rating is 30 watts though, i thought that you had to pick a speaker with a minimum of double your power rating to prevent it from blowing?

It can take a MAX of 60 watts. Speakers are rated like amps, for max clean input, so a 30 watt speaker with a 30 watt amp is completely fine.

Quote by bobeatsbob
i looked at the red fangs but they werent that much cheaper than the celestion blues they were replicating

Well in the U.K. they aren't, but in the rest of the world the Eminence is much better value. Also the Celestion is only 15 watts. The VC30 is 30 watts, so if you have the 212 version the blues is definetly worth a look!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

The Private Jacks are pretty good, though. They're pretty much an improved greenback.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Sep 8, 2007,
^ The OD channel on the VC30 can reputably get up to about 50 watts due to the way they're rated, but 60 i'm sure would be fine

Due to me [and the TS] being in the UK, Celestions seem to be the way to go - is the Vintage 30 un-recommendable? Or is it best to go for the greenback or the G12H ?
Well the V30 is VERY modern, contrary to the name and IMO it's not that good to put in a vintage voiced amp.

Well when you rate amps by max clean output. So a VC30 has a max CLEAN output of 30 watts. Same thing with speakers. So an speaker that's rated at 30 watts actually has a max rating of 30 watts clean, but the actual power handling is often twice as much.

Generally any speaker that has the same power rating as the amp is safe.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^ Excellent

And yeah that is what i've heard about the V30's which is why i've been put off getting one. What would you recommend from Celestion for the vintage/bluesy tone you can get out of a VC, which still keeps cleans unaltered? I'm thinking the greenback but i've never gone about the speaker area of amps - and any opinions on the Classic Lead?
Last edited by philipisabeast at Sep 8, 2007,
Celestion blues it is then but has any one got any good suggestions into what new valves(tubes) i should buy to replace the ones in there now which are el84 and ecc83 i want some original british type valves like mullard but i cannot afford to spend that amount on valves
If you've got a big budget and it's a 2x12 then definitely get a pair of Celestion Alnico Blues. The VC30 is very much like a Vox and the Vox AC30's famous tone comes in a large part from the way those speakers work with the amp.

AS for valves, budget dependent again. If you've got a big spend then you can get some nice NOS types, if not then you can get some nice brand new ones. If NOS, try and obtain Mullards all the way through - but this is incredibly expensive.

I'd try and do a bit of a mixture. For EL84, get either all JJs or all of Harma's STR ones- these ones are tested to breaking point and are supplied to Brain May. Awesome valves. The JJ sound great but haven't been put through the testing of the Harmas.

For preamps, I'd go for a NOS 12AX7 in V1 and Electro-harmonix 12AX7 in the rest of the positions. For the V1 tube see if you can get hold of a NOS Sylvania or General Electric, although most NOS valves sound good.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ How the hell did you learn all that?
Props to you and cheers for the help
I would go for the Alnico Blue but £140 is very steep, where as a greenback would be an improvement over the Seventy 80 at about £90 less
^ Well I'm just a genius

Yours is a 1x12 right? That makes it a whole lot different. The Blue will only handle 15w each, that's why they only use pairs of them in the AC30s. With a 1x12 I'd recommend something like an Eminence Red Fang, a Celestion Alnico Gold, a Celestion G12H30, an Eminence Private Jack or an Eminence Governor. Greenbacks are rated a bit low IMO. I know they're rated conservatively but I'd rather something a little higher just to be safe.
^ See i run into a few problems with the eminence speakers, basically due to their much higher price, if i was on a trip to the States i could pick one up but they're alot higher priced for us

Anyway: http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=7 this is what you recommended for the G12H ja?

Also the G12-80 Classic lead looks sort of in the same stylings but for more lead, is the 80 watts too high rated and will it just clash with the voicing of the amp?
Quote by Gabel
Well the V30 is VERY modern, contrary to the name and IMO it's not that good to put in a vintage voiced amp.

agreed.

a greenback might be pushing it- it's only rated at 25 watts (unless this is a 2x12 you have? EDIT: ah ok it is, that should be grand). might be ok, might be iffy.

a g12h30 might be worth a look too- i tried the heritage one in the new lionhearts, and it sounded pretty nice to me. nice and warm. eminence's version is the wizard, i believe.

i doubt you'd go far wrong with either greenback, red fang, or g12h30 (or the eminence or celestion versions of those which i haven't mentioned)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It looks like the G12H is the way forward then - is there a great deal of difference between the heritage or the '30' one ?

And anything on the classic lead?
i've only tried the heritage, sorry.

haven't tried the 65 either...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get an Eminence Private Jack instead. It's a greenback, but better, and can handle 50 watts.
^ Further searching tells me that the Private Jack and Governor are actually pretty well priced

So would the Private Jack be the best choice to keep the vintage raunch the VC has rather than going for the G12H?
If the other option is the G12H, then yes. The G12H is definitely a good speaker, but the Eminence is cheaper, isn't it?
The eminence is cheaper by about £5 [EDIT: For the -30 version, the heritage is double the price] - which isn't exactly a stretch and so i can go for the best of the two
£50 is basically the top end of that speaker range, which i have no qualms paying, it's just the Celestion Gold's etc are more like £110 which is just OTT for me

So the private jack is better?
Last edited by philipisabeast at Sep 9, 2007,
how do jensens sound in a british amp? because i know that the 210 version of the vc30 has jensens instead of the celestions
^Less british. Usually a bit less mids, and a bit more mellow.

^^Go for the Private Jack.
Quote by philipisabeast
The eminence is cheaper by about £5 [EDIT: For the -30 version, the heritage is double the price] - which isn't exactly a stretch and so i can go for the best of the two
£50 is basically the top end of that speaker range, which i have no qualms paying, it's just the Celestion Gold's etc are more like £110 which is just OTT for me

So the private jack is better?

Where are you ordering it philip?
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
thomann sometimes have pretty decent prices on eminence speakers... problem is they only have free shipping over 200 euros.

if you're considering the g12h30, you might as well look at the eminence wizard too.

i've only tried the jensens in the vc15- i preferred the celestion-loaded vc (the vc30); however, i know of people who prefer jensens, so it's doubtless personal preference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ The wizard sounds like a good suggestion actually

" A cross between the Private Jack and Governer"
I'll have a read round on the net me thinks
yeah, it's meant to be nice. never tried it though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
thomann sometimes have pretty decent prices on eminence speakers... problem is they only have free shipping over 200 euros.

if you're considering the g12h30, you might as well look at the eminence wizard too.

i've only tried the jensens in the vc15- i preferred the celestion-loaded vc (the vc30); however, i know of people who prefer jensens, so it's doubtless personal preference.
Postage still isn't much though, like £6.66 to the UK I think. Unless that's only for a wah...

The wizard does indeed look good. Eminence do a lot of British-voiced speakers, most of which are at least good. Best thing to do would be to go on their website and pick out the one you like the look of best from their tone chart.
wow, what a cool postage amount. t3h br00talz, in fact.

i think eminence have soundclips now, though how much use they are is obviously open to question. i haven't tried enough of their speakers to know how close they are.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ The wizard is supposed to be used with a closed back cab, the VC is open back so will that greatly affect its performance?

The Private Jack seem's a little less agressive than the Wizard
i'm not sure, i haven't tried it. if they say it has a big effect, though, i'd only go against that advice if you can get to try it in an open-backed so you can determine if they're right or not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think i'll give them an email and see if they reply in the week
The eminence Private Jack seem's a good way to go though if the wizards unsuitable