Ok, I see a lot of people on UG have these really nice recordings and say they only use Audacity and stuff. What would I need to do to make my recording to sound like that. As of now, my bass and vocals are going from mic>bp50 (bass effect pedal)>computer.

Would replacing my bass effect pedal with and M-Audio Delta 66 soundcard make my recordings sound a lot better? Also, are there any advantages to buying cakewalk sonar home studio 6 compared to Audacity? Finally, If I had the M-Audio Delta 66, would it be necessary to buy a line6 toneport Audio Interface?

If someone could help that would be great. Thanks in advance,
Biehayn
*reported*

Completely irrelevant and useless, even more so than the band you love (j/k)

My advice would to buy a DI box (to convert the analog signal to digital = thereby cleaning up the sound) and either a better soundcard (internal, or external a la audio interface), which again, will clean up the sound.

However, you need to bear in mind that the biggest improvement is your skill as a producer: you can do fantastic recordings with literally just audacity and a 1/8" cable adaptor.

Good luck.

If you had the m audio delta, you probably wouldn't need a toneport, which no offense toneport users, because they're not particularly good.

You don't particularly need the effects pedal in the signal chain either (especially for vocals)
^Mbox, Mackie Onyx Sattellite, Firebox - all of these are better than the Toneport imo.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Biehayn
What would I need to do to make my recording to sound like that.

Good AD/DA conversion and preamps (see the suggestions that thrice_removed made); just about any commercially available recording/sequencing app; playing/programming skills; recording skills/experience. That should do it.
Creative's Audigy is stellar, you should check that out. It works as a good preamp. You can hook up mics to it, too. Best audio card on the market.
Last edited by Alienguitar at Sep 9, 2007,
Quote by BrianApocalypse

My advice would to buy a DI box (to convert the analog signal to digital = thereby cleaning up the sound) and either a better soundcard (internal, or external a la audio interface), which again, will clean up the sound.

A DI box doesn't convert an analog signal to a digital one, it converts a high input signal to a line level signal.