It seems, after some research, that quite a lot of Marshall amps I've been looking at have bad reputations here on UG. The MG series (I was thinking about a MG250X) and the AVT series (I was thinking about the AVT275). Is there just a thing about combo Marshalls?

So my search for a decent Marshall amp continues, valestate prefered - what can you guys actually recomend? My budget is about £500, I'd mostly use the clean channel (and it's that beautiful clean sound driving me towards a Marshall) but I don't want to be deprived from other chanels. So is there a good all rounder?
Don't get SS Marshalls, for £500, if you just want Marshalls, there's the DSL401, the TSL combo, a used JCM900 or 800 combo.
Also look at used Orange Rocker 30's. Just what you're looking for.
Don't limit yourself to just Marshall.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
if you just want an amazing clean buy an orange
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by R_H_C_P
Don't get SS Marshalls, for £500, if you just want Marshalls, there's the DSL401, the TSL combo, a used JCM900 or 800 combo.
Also look at used Orange Rocker 30's. Just what you're looking for.
Don't limit yourself to just Marshall.

Yeah, and If you want a good clean sound and aren't limited to it, look at Fender, some of their combos give out amazing cleans, and I'm pretty sure nearly all of them fit your price range.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
yeah, orange is the way to go if you want a marshall sound... because orange does it better than marshall can now.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
getting a Marshall for cleans doesnt really strike me as a smart idea.

you want great cleans? get a Fender and a good OD pedal for the other stuff.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Ja Orange = beefed up marshall but they're pricy, but if you can get a combo from them for about 500 quid you have a ****tingly good deal
hey, I don't know. I have an MG250dfx and it's been nothing short of amazing for me. I tried out a lot of different amps but that one had the tone closest to what I was looking for. I gotten several compliments on my tone after some shows, too, so don't be too quick to write them off.
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
and the cleans sound incredible when I use my epiphone dot (what a find that was!). Very defined and articulate, not muddy at all.
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
If you're going to play the clean channel more than the dirty channel, then I suggest getting an amp with really nice cleans (fender?) and building on the tone with an OD pedal or something.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
dsl401 if you want marshall or orange rocker 30

Quote by SWLABR
hey, I don't know. I have an MG250dfx and it's been nothing short of amazing for me. I tried out a lot of different amps but that one had the tone closest to what I was looking for. I gotten several compliments on my tone after some shows, too, so don't be too quick to write them off and the cleans sound incredible when I use my epiphone dot (what a find that was!). Very defined and articulate, not muddy at all

Don't kid yourself.
Quote by SWLABR
hey, I don't know. I have an MG250dfx and it's been nothing short of amazing for me. I tried out a lot of different amps but that one had the tone closest to what I was looking for. I gotten several compliments on my tone after some shows, too, so don't be too quick to write them off.
Tone deaf.
fender blues deluxe + Fulltone OCD= tone heaven
marshall mg= tone hell- think nails on a chalkboard
dsl marshall= close to tone heaven, great sounding amp
Quote by FRDesign
Tone deaf.

+1, always makes me laugh when some new person to the forum comes in saying that their MG is great, but it's ok, in few months time they'll be saying they hate it.

I'd say go for a Rocker 30 like everyone else if you can find one cheap enough. The DSL 601 would also be a good choice as well. Go used!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by FRDesign
Tone deaf.

you might wanna stop acting like you're a pro when you actually liked MG's too.
you were a beginner once too and you wouldn't have want people to call you tone deaf.
if he likes it then who are you to tell him that it's crap. you don't have to play his amp, he does.
bashing mgs doesn't make you cool.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 8, 2007,
Oh I'm so right.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by MatrixClaw
+1, always makes me laugh when some new person to the forum comes in saying that their MG is great, but it's ok, in few months time they'll be saying they hate it.

actually he's been here since 2004, so shut the fuck up.
Quote by The red Strat.
you might wanna stop acting like you're a pro when you actually liked MG's too.
you were a beginner once too and you wouldn't have want people to call you tone deaf.
if he likes it then who are you to tell him that it's crap. you don't have to play his amp, he does.
bashing mgs doesn't make you cool.
I'm helping out n00bs by helping them buy an Amp which they will like a month later.

So shut the fuck up.
phew. i'm glad i never liked the sound of mg's as a noob.

but i did love those ss crates...

yeah, so TS, are you keeping track of your thread?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
actually he's been here since 2004, so shut the fuck up.

Wow what the hell did I do to you?

I wasn't attacking anyone like you are. I simply said that a lot of people come in here saying that they like MGs but then a few months later they say they hate them and want a new amp. And even if he's been here since 2004 doesn't say anything.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you want cleans, get a Vox or Fender.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by papersun87
Me, too.

Lolacaust, I've been sigged.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by SWLABR
and the cleans sound incredible when I use my epiphone dot (what a find that was!). Very defined and articulate, not muddy at all.
Are you sure? When I last used an MG the only way I could get a non-muddy clean tone out of it - and this was using a Strat - was using a chorus. And then it was too harsh. An incredibly one-dimensional and crap amp, and that was just the clean channel. With the distortion channel, the only way I could get any kind of tone that wasn't hideously harsh was by removing all treble and mids on the amp and turning the gain riiight up to smooth it out. Normally this is a major no-no with any amp but it had to be done to get any smoothness...

It's a completely useless POS.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Thread = officially worse than the holocaust.
TS, dont get a marshall, unless you go used or have money to piss away, they aren't worth it.

Also Valvestate is just a model of Marshall amp, not an actual kind of amp. It's Tube or Valve amp. You're better off with the likes of Orange Rocker 30, Laney VC30, Vox AC30, Peavey Windsor, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Hot Rod yadda yadda.
Quote by FRDesign
I'm helping out n00bs by helping them buy an Amp which they will like a month later.

So shut the fuck up.

calling them tone deaf isn't helping them out.
Quote by which ones pink
Even tube Marshalls don't have great cleans dude, you are much better off with a Fender. Or, of course, an Orange.

Depends on the Marshall....any Marshall made in the early 80's and before have great glassy cleans (at least in my JCM800). Today's Marshalls, I'm not too sure.
OK I don't think this has been effectively explained, so here's my 2¢.

Marshalls are designed to be high gain amps, even the vintage tube rigs. Some of the earlier models got good clean sound, but you had to fiddle with the guitar's volume knob and lower the input signal to get there.

High gain means more distortion, therefore less clean.

I don't like Marshalls to begin with, I don't feel like paying twice as much for their name tag and I've only played one I really liked, and old tan covered half stack, probably early 60's. I also go for a more clean sound, I get my distortion sounds from a pedal, same way David Gilmour does it. That's why he uses Hiwatt amps, the cleanest I've ever heard.

If you want clean, go for a Fender, Hiwatt or maybe the Orange that's getting good comments here, I'm not familiar with that amp, just the old 60's Orange monsters. Great amps though...I'd take one over a Marshall any day. In fact probably the biggest gear mistake I've ever made was passing up a vintage Orange and 4x12 cab at a pawn shop in Houston for $200 in about 1990. I think it was a 60 watter, perfect for what I play.

I've played a lot of Fenders recently, both new and vintage and they get a great clean sound. My Super Reverb is a fantastic amp, but only 45 watts so I have to crank it up to 10 for enough stage volume to hang with most bands, no more clean...so I use my Peavey MX for cleans and the Super for "Raunch 'n Roll" sound with an A/B switch, I love it, best of both worlds.

Some of Peavey's amps also get a great clean sound, check out the Classic 30 and Classic 50. They're also built to take more punishment than anything I've ever seen. Toughest amps going.

I listened to a guy with a small Vox not long ago, wasn't too impressed, it's low wattage and not clean, but that may be his preference. I'm not sure what model, didn't get close enough. Sounded good, but not enough clean for me.

Overall, I'd say go with Fender or Orange for clean, Marshalls are not designed to be good clean amps, they're high gain. That includes tube amps...and I always recommend tube amps, forget solid state.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Sep 9, 2007,
I really like the Orange Rocker 30, but I don't think 30 watt is enough for me. Really I'd like a 50 watt tube. There seem to be a lot of amps that are 40 watt, like the Fender Hot Rod - would that do me for big gigs?
^ 30 watts tube will be plenty. The Rocker is very loud, it will do small and medium gigs well and any bigger than that you're going to be mic'ing the amp anyway.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
it's a better value in the UK, sorta like laneys, and mesa/boogies are better here, where they're about $4000 over there.

and keep in mind you're not paying for watts. you're paying for tone, and the watts is just the measure of how well you can be able to use it in certain situations.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by FRDesign

So shut the fuck up.

1. The guy already has the amp, you aren't helping him buy an amp, your just being a dick

2. Calling someone tone deaf isnt helping them, thats insulting them.

so, in the spirit of posts before, shut the fuck up.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45

A Vox AC30 or Laney VC30 would be a must try, especially if you want great cleans. I'd also try a Tiny Terror. It is only 15W, but its a very louds 15W, and if its not enough for a gig, mic the sucker.