I tried it for the first time today,and loved it lots

Im thinking of buying a small boat like a Laser 14' or maybe and Optimist Dinghy.

Are these good for learning in?
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
I don't sail, I wouldn't mind giving it a go though. As long as it's not too far out to sea because deep water freaks me out
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████

my pirate days are over
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
yeah I sail alot. I wouldnt get an oppy if your 14, unless your tiny ull almost be grown out of it. Id try a topper or a laser pico, they seem to be what you need.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by Mechanixx
yeah I sail alot. I wouldnt get an oppy if your 14, unless your tiny ull almost be grown out of it. Id try a topper or a laser pico, they seem to be what you need.

Yeah,thats what i heard lol,the only downside to an Optimist is there isnt much room to duck from the boom...are toppers and pico's solo's with no jib sails?
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
I used to sail a bit back in the day. Me and a mate i crewed for won the Heron nationals U16 in 95 and placed 3rd overall in the adults.

We would have won that too if it wasnt for a really experienced guy spotting a freak cross wind that allowed him to go straight to the last buoy where as we were already having to tack upwind as we were out in front. Oh well thems the breaks.

I haven't been on the water however in about 5 years now as the Guy I used to go with moved to Spain to be a full time instructor.

You might wanna try out a Topper as your only 14 and not likly to be weighty enough to handle a full on laser. An Optimist is good but you will get tired of it quickly as its a bit on the slow side.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
yep, sometimes, sailing's for rich people.

i sail with my rich uncle, who my dad hates lol
Quote by Yakult
I don't sail, I wouldn't mind giving it a go though. As long as it's not too far out to sea because deep water freaks me out

I thought i'd be like that,but then i got in the boat,you dont even care about looking down lol,you just look ahead and at the sails when your powering throuhg the water.Its great fun.
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
my dad has a 31ft yacht, i sailed the channel with him and got my comp crew...but sailing is horrible, boring, wet urgh. the only good part was on the way back at night and the sea was really calm and there were shooting stars and floresants (? where the water sparkles) in the water
Quote by TheHereAway
my dad has a 31ft yacht, i sailed the channel with him and got my comp crew...but sailing is horrible, boring, wet urgh. the only good part was on the way back at night and the sea was really calm and there were shooting stars and floresants (? where the water sparkles) in the water

Whoa,that sounds amazing lol.

The topper is quite hard to find for some reason lol,i'll get a boat trader in the next few days if i can :P
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Ooh I really like sailing
You could try a Mirror Dinghy! They are easy to handle boats certainly if you want to learn how to sail, the also have an option to have a spinaker on it and they are used to race
Quote by andyd93
Whoa,that sounds amazing lol.

The topper is quite hard to find for some reason lol,i'll get a boat trader in the next few days if i can :P

yea but, that was the only good bit from a whole week. i had to go on the tiller in a force 7 at one point, coming round this place in france i cant remember into Cherbourg...**** loads of tacking in force 7..exhausting as hell

EDIT: i cant spell today
Quote by Thecla
Ooh I really like sailing
You could try a Mirror Dinghy! They are easy to handle boats certainly if you want to learn how to sail, the also have an option to have a spinaker on it and they are used to race

Thats what i went on today It was fantastic,but i was really looking for a solo dinghy...

I want a basic,solo dinghy with the one,main sail,no job or spinnaker (because im only learning to sail,and the whle rig would be really hard for a beginner,i watched my mate doing it today lol and even he messed some stuff up).
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Mmm cant you just sail with one sail on a Mirror? I heard that somewhere..
edit:
Anyway if you really want to buy a boat you should buy a boat for two or more people, sailing is nicer with 2 or more people and there are hardly any real good boats for just ine single person to sail in all their lives..
Last edited by Thecla at Sep 8, 2007,
You can sail a Mirror solo but its hassle having to deal with the main sail jib and spinny if your on a run. You do really need a crew to sail it well and do things fast.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a Topper. At least there was never a shortage when i was still sailing. You may however need to get your parents to do a bit of driving to find a good one however.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
I don't sail, however, i love hurting myself on my two jetskis.

SEA DOO GTX Supercharged 2004
SEA DOO RXT Intercooled 2007
Quote by Thecla
Mmm cant you just sail with one sail on a Mirror? I heard that somewhere..
edit:
Anyway if you really want to buy a boat you should buy a boat for two or more people, sailing is nicer with 2 or more people and there are hardly any real good boats for just ine single person to sail in all their lives..

I suppose i could get a mirror,and if i want,go solo,but i will always have the option of 2 people which has gotta be a good thing.Theres a mirror near me for £395 with everything,just needs a bit of refurb which wouldnt really be a problem because i help my mate with his mirror whe he put a hole in the side trying to slow down going towards a jetty in a force 5 x)
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
haha :P
I think it is a good deal Are you going to put a motor on it?
Quote by Thecla
haha :P
I think it is a good deal Are you going to put a motor on it?

I wasnt planning on doing so...should i?

http://www.wksc.net/boatsforsale/

What do you,or anybody else think would be the best deal/beginner boat on that list.I am on a budget btw :P lol possibly looking for a project to do over the winter.

I could have either a car or a boat,but since im 14,i figured id get the boat since i could fix it up,and sail whenever i want instead of fixing up a car,and leaving it to rot until i turn 17 :P
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Last edited by andyd93 at Sep 8, 2007,
OOH!!! Is a 420 Dinghy any good?
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
I still the the jib would be to hard to control and rig for a beginner lol
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
heh, an optimist I was almost out of the boat the last time I tried it.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
A yacht is the first thing on my list when I win the lottery. I've only done it a couple of times but the feeling is indescribable to anyone who hasn't done it, makes you realise your insignificance in the scheme of things, which is a good trick for a hobby
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
Yah lol,i know,its a great feeling...Still looking for a decent boat to learn in lol.I found a Heron which has lots of space,no jib etc,its perfect,but its also in Oxfordshire (about 200 miles away) so im trying to talk my dad into filling up the car and us going down there next weekend for a viewing and possibly a buy. x) Its on eBay btw.
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Last edited by andyd93 at Sep 9, 2007,
Thank you Derek,that helped lots x)
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN