Poll: Do you sometimes just write improve lyrics?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you sometimes just write improve lyrics?
yes
11 100%
No
0 0%
Voters: 11.
Hey, I wrote this song last night. Guitar part is really simple, but the lyrics are all improv. What I mean is that I thought about a certain topic, sat at my computer and litterally typed up a whole song not worrying about rhythm, lyrics, and position and hooks. Just straight up poetry. Doesn't even really mean anything.

I wonder, has anyone else done this? mean, if you spend too much time on lyrics, they turn out cruddy, but have you ever just written lyrics in a five minute time and kept them?

Edit: I apologize for spelling improv wrong.
Last edited by fly fly fly at Sep 8, 2007,
No, all lyrics should take time to write. No hit song has been written in 5 minutes. And just writing W/o worry of rhythm is not the best way. Try playing and just singing whatever comes to mind, it works best for me.
Birdie Birdie in the sky, why'd you do that in my eye? Looks like Sugar, Tastes like sap.....OMG ITS BIRDIE CRAP!
YEah, most of my stuff is written in 10 minutes...thing is getting the idea might take a whole day... then I work on them a bit in the morning when my head is fresh...
P.S. IMPROV not IMPROVE
Birdie Birdie in the sky, why'd you do that in my eye? Looks like Sugar, Tastes like sap.....OMG ITS BIRDIE CRAP!
Quote by RRRUBEN
No, all lyrics should take time to write. No hit song has been written in 5 minutes. And just writing W/o worry of rhythm is not the best way. Try playing and just singing whatever comes to mind, it works best for me.

Not necessarily true. Blink 182 had numerous hits and they were written in like 5 or 10 minutes. If you have a flow you can write things fast. Everyone has their own style of writing though.
Quote by RRRUBEN

wouldn't "singing whatever comes to mind" be improvising too? just wondering...

yup, i definitely have. and what's more, some of my best pieces came from stuff written in a short time, only it doesn't work every single time i do that. i'd say that there are both great pieces written in five minutes and great pieces that need much time and thought to become that great, it just depends on the writer's ability, their style and so on.
so who do i have to kill to get a crit? --> Memory

(e-cookie for whoever spots the alliteration, ha)

y cuando llegue el momento, sólo el viento se llevará lo que siento; y cuando acabe mi suerte, sólo en la muerte estaré fuerte y despierto...