Hello all,
I'm in a bit of a pickle, and would like some help. At the moment I have a Fender Frontman 15G which as you can imagine is pretty unideal especially for Metal, which is what I like to play the most, mainly Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth etc. There's nothing quite like the sound of a rich, crunching, killer tone being used for a brutal metal riff. Which is exactly why I need your help! I'm using a Squier Strat at the moment, but VERY shortly am getting an Ibanez S470. At the moment I'm not even using my Frontman, I just go directly from my RP350 to my headset. But would like a small amp for practice maybe and some small gigs possibly in the future. Needs to have a thick, crunchy distortion thats great for those palm muted riffs and a decent clean. I was looking at the likes of the Roland Cube 60, but I am open to other ideas especially if they are Valve amps.

My price range is roughly up to £200 (about $400), but might be able to stretch £50 over.
Quote by MattK591
Hello all,
I'm in a bit of a pickle, and would like some help. At the moment I have a Fender Frontman 15G which as you can imagine is pretty unideal especially for Metal, which is what I like to play the most, mainly Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth etc. There's nothing quite like the sound of a rich, crunching, killer tone being used for a brutal metal riff. Which is exactly why I need your help! I'm using a Squier Strat at the moment, but VERY shortly am getting an Ibanez S470. At the moment I'm not even using my Frontman, I just go directly from my RP350 to my headset. But would like a small amp for practice maybe and some small gigs possibly in the future. Needs to have a thick, crunchy distortion thats great for those palm muted riffs and a decent clean. I was looking at the likes of the Roland Cube 60, but I am open to other ideas especially if they are Valve amps.

My price range is roughly up to £200 (about $400), but might be able to stretch £50 over.

you could possibly find a used peavey 5150 combo if you're lucky. would be perfect for you.
or a vox valvetronix xl.
or maybe a peavey valveking.
Valveking is far more likely than a 5150 at that price. However, you'd also need to get a pedal if you wanted to get really heavy, but the amp's own overdrive should suffice until then. Of course, if you don't want to go too heavy, it should manage on it's own, I think.
Crate. And why the hell don't you just go look at threads made for "metal" amps instead of asking the same damn question like everyone else. Honestly it's so annoying.
Quote by The red Strat.
you could possibly find a used peavey 5150 combo if you're lucky. would be perfect for you.
or a vox valvetronix xl.

If he gets a 5150 combo in the UK for £200 i will explode, and it'll be fake
Quote by philipisabeast
If he gets a 5150 combo in the UK for £200 i will explode, and it'll be fake

I'd just like to point out that, should it happen, I'm not cleaning up the mess

If it would be a struggle to stretch even to a used Valveking, then perhaps a Valvetronix (either the regular or XL) would be the next best thing, in my opinion, though it would certainly be worth putting off a new guitar until you get a good amp because good amp > good guitar.
^ Well i recently sold my Valveking 212 for £250, which is a fairly good deal for both me and the buyer [it was in spanking new condition] so it'd not out of the question, a 112 should deffinately be achievable on ebay
Quote by The red Strat.
or a vox valvetronix xl.

+1

but i actually think the cube is a decent enough amp....

you may have seen this video already, but this is a pretty good demo of the cube:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t7J3caoAvXE