I have a fair bit of money saved now so I have decided to buy a big muff (usa?). My mind is sort of already made up but I though I would check here first...

I plan to use it for my lead/"high" gain tone, and use my amp's distortion for rythm.

I know that john frusciante and dave gilmour use a big muff, can it get close to their tone?

And I also like the tone of hendrix and santana. I know they both use a fuzz face, but I don't want to buy that beacsue it's more expensive and not reckended to be very good. So can the big muff, do a decent version of their tones?

And finally, which one should i get? I think the usa beacsue from what I have heard it is tighter sounding, but if someone could explain the difference's betwen the different big muffs that would be good.

Cheers.
Apparently, the USA version is smoother sounding than the Russian one. Personally, if I were you, I'd be tempted to go for the Little Big Muff, because both the Russian and USA Big Muffs are pretty big. The Little Big Muff, I think, is somewhere in the middle of the two other versions, but it works the same.

I'm not sure if the Big Muff will do Hendrix (I've been wondering the same thing as of late) but I don't see why it couldn't get close. You should be able to get close to these tones provided your gear is similarish (you have a Strat, so that shouldn't be a problem). You just have to play around a bit to find them.
it should do what you want with ease...if you keep the sustain knob at just below halfway, you voulme knob on your guitar can really make adifference in tone... and the ideal setting for the volume on the pedall is to match your clean channel
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
The Big Muff is a fuzz, so probably not what you'd want for a high gain distortion, but if you want that sort of warm fuzzyness then it's a great choice, but i'm sure you know that

I'd just go with the standard big muff, although if you wanted dual stages the double muff may be worth a look at
^ double muff is not nearly as flexible tone wise...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

not tone wise it isnt but can get an enourmous range of distortion, and paired with an amps overdrive i can get big muff tone
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Last edited by Johnonon at Sep 8, 2007,
Double Muff - NO!
Little Big Muff - I wouldn't suggest you
Big Muff Russian - Your choice
Big Muff USA - YES! Great pedal! Frusciante tone is yours (well...at least in 3% because he uses a lot of expensive things)
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
I've never heard a hint of fuzz in Santana's tone, and Gilmour only uses fuzz sparingly. Frusctiante uses it on his solos mainly and Hendrix used fuzz on his more extreme stuff, however on a lot of his songs the tone is pretty clean.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You don't buy a smaller muff because the others are too big, if you do, you're satan.

Anyway, the USA is smoother, the Russian a bit.... I dunno, grittier?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Also the Little Big Muff doesn't have the same insides as the Big Muff. So if you want a Big Muff smaller get the BYOC clone
Quote by Denthúl
Apparently, the USA version is smoother sounding than the Russian one. Personally, if I were you, I'd be tempted to go for the Little Big Muff, because both the Russian and USA Big Muffs are pretty big. The Little Big Muff, I think, is somewhere in the middle of the two other versions, but it works the same.

I'm not sure if the Big Muff will do Hendrix (I've been wondering the same thing as of late) but I don't see why it couldn't get close. You should be able to get close to these tones provided your gear is similarish (you have a Strat, so that shouldn't be a problem). You just have to play around a bit to find them.

Do not but the little big muff. At least to my ears, the full size one sounds a hundred times better.
Older muffs vary quite a bit in quality and sound, so I'd get the little big muff. Smaller, more control over tone, more consistent quality, same core sound. I don't know much about the double muff.
Quote by Twevo
Also the Little Big Muff doesn't have the same insides as the Big Muff. So if you want a Big Muff smaller get the BYOC clone

insides don't matter much if the tone is right and the quality is good.
i should have mentioned, i own a little big muff.
And by insides, I meant that it does not have the same components, and therefore has a different tone
I spose I'll go with the USA one.... I think I prefer the smoothness over grit... The double big muff and the little big muff - some people like them and some don't, so I think it's my safest bet.

And I'm not bother about the size at all, it's not like I won't have room on my pedalboard or anything, I don't even have enough pedals to necessitate a pedalboard.

I'm still not sure about the santana or gilmour tones.... but I'll get it anyway proabaly.
Is there no way you could try them side by side? If not, listen to clips on musiciansfriend or something. I'm going to try and urge you to get hte Sovtek Muff. It's got a great sound that I can get Hendrix Fuzz, Rolling Stones Fuzz( A la Satisfaction), and just an all aaround better sound imo...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I've listened to the clips on MF.... the russian one sounded better but I think they just made bad clips on the USA one cos the video of it sounded good. And sovtek eh? Is it much more expensive/better?
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Is there no way you could try them side by side? If not, listen to clips on musiciansfriend or something. I'm going to try and urge you to get hte Sovtek Muff. It's got a great sound that I can get Hendrix Fuzz, Rolling Stones Fuzz( A la Satisfaction), and just an all aaround better sound imo...

i disagree... i dont really like the unpredictability (not exactly the word i'm looking for)... i mean its great for rythm, and better for bass than the the usa muff, butthe usa muff i feel is more tweakable, and sounds great for both lead and rythm
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar