Quote by mojsije
I wont to buy an old Fender jazz bass.When i say old I mean 1968-1974

ok! are you asking about a specific bass, or just wondering about pricing on these year models. the '68's run about $3000(us), where as the '74's can be had for around $2000. the years in between are priced accordingly. give us some more specific details on what your looking at, or, good luck on your search.
Quote by mojsije
I wont to buy an old Fender jazz bass.When i say old I mean 1968-1974

Yeah, eh?

Do you plan on actually purchasing the bass, or do you just want to purchase one?

But of all seriousness/proper spelling, Fender swapped over to poly finish from nitro finish in 1969. That's when the quality of Fenders really started to decline
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by mojsije
I won't buy an old Fender jazz bass.When i say old I mean 1968-1974.

Fixed.

Fine, then don't buy one, get a new one if you want.
Jazz Basses have to be old like this old 65 model I sold, as 83lespaulstudio says the the prices fall off quickly into the 70s.
Attachments:
JB 009ca.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Captain Insano, LMAO.

John Swift, may I ask if you're kicking yourself for selling that bass? Or are you happy that it's gone?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by John Swift
Jazz Basses have to be old like this old 65 model I sold, as 83lespaulstudio says the the prices fall off quickly into the 70s.

Whats the point of the thumbrest thing UNDER the strings?

that thing is a thumbrest, right?
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
Quote by benco

back then bassists usually played with their thumbs, so i believe thats why thats below the strings
Quote by thefitz
Captain Insano, LMAO.

John Swift, may I ask if you're kicking yourself for selling that bass? Or are you happy that it's gone?

I finished paying for my house with the money, I'd not used it for a few years due to moving on to 5 string basses.
But yes I do miss it I'd had it from new.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by xninja
back then bassists usually played with their thumbs, so i believe thats why thats below the strings

Correct.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Correct.

did you used to play with your thumb way back in the day?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
The 70's fenders are now coming up in price due to everyone going after them as the 'next best thing' to the high priced 60's ones.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by skater dan0
did you used to play with your thumb way back in the day?

Very rarely, most of us used picks/plectrums, the thumb rest was later repositioned by Fender to rest the thumb on when playing fingerstyle.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Forcemaster
The 70's fenders are now coming up in price due to everyone going after them as the 'next best thing' to the high priced 60's ones.

the prices for 70's basses is coming up because collectors are speculating on their future values. very risky! i talked to a guy at this years Dallas Guitar Show, that paid like $30,000 for an old Les Paul at last years show, expecting to sell it for more, at this years show. him and his money left with no reasonable offers. i played a friends
'72 Jazz on a local clubs, jam night. man, did it make me appreciate my current bass. i was not impressed.
Quote by Forcemaster

They will never reach the quality/value of the pre CBS; particularly certain 70s years which were dogs.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
My teacher has a '73 precision and it feels, sounds and plays well even after 34 years of heavy gigging. Granted I haven't had the luxury of playing a pre CBS Fender but I don't know whether my teacher got lucky or people exaggerate the cons. I'm guessing my teacher got lucky though because the amount of stuff I hear leads me to believe they really were that bad.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Back in the 70's the Fender strats were cheap (you were looking about £200 today) because they were crap quality (buyout by CBS). Dealers were having lots of trouble selling them. Not too long ago (90's+) people started buying all the 70's ones because they were becoming a vintage instrument, even though the quality sucked and this is why prices on 70's are overpriced.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by John Swift
They will never reach the quality/value of the pre CBS; particularly certain 70s years which were dogs.

I've been running my mouth about how Fender basses' prices have gone down when they stopped using nitro finish, and I think there's something to be said there. I don't think a poly finished instrument will come near the vintage values of the nitros.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear the the cash helped. It sounds like it was a recent sale, meaning you got some great cash for your axe. It was L-series, right?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by benco

u win only because of pedobear. and its for players who use their thumbs to pick the strings.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
it was the late 70's instruments that were crappy, most of the early 70's instruments were still good instruments. after CBS bought out fender quality did not go down immediatey.
Quote by thefitz
Oh, and I'm glad to hear the the cash helped. It sounds like it was a recent sale, meaning you got some great cash for your axe. It was L-series, right?

Here a shot of the neck plate, sold it 2004.
Attachments:
L Series.jpg
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by indie-bassist
My teacher has a '73 precision and it feels, sounds and plays well even after 34 years of heavy gigging. Granted I haven't had the luxury of playing a pre CBS Fender but I don't know whether my teacher got lucky or people exaggerate the cons. I'm guessing my teacher got lucky though because the amount of stuff I hear leads me to believe they really were that bad.

In the early 70's, up until they introduced the 3-bolt neck-plate with block inlays, Fenders were extremely inconsistant. There were excellent ones, like the ones you mentioned, and there were awful ones, like the one 83lespaulstudio mentioned. But later on, they all sucked. I've played ones with warped necks, cracked fingerboards from the block inlays weakening the wood, and a neck joint so fragile I accidently shifted the neck.
Quote by Cody_Grey102