alryt dudes, just wondering if anyone can help, how do you know what size strings you need 4 your guitar? and how you measure to find out?
feedback would be really helpful x
What kind of guitar do you have, what styles do you play, and what kind of strings are you currently using? String gauge is all about preference, there is no right or wrong.
well its personal preference...

i think mostly people use 10s.

9s are lighter easier to bend n stuff. 11s thicker, different feel.

its personal preference, slightly different tones, if you have stronger/weaker fingers etc.

And if you downtune your guitar thicker strings are better if you want to compensate for the slackness.
^All true. I prefer 10 gauge because they have a balanced feel. Sound great in metal riffage and clean arpeggiation.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
I played .010 gauge for many years, had to switch to .009 about 6 or 8 years ago when the .010s started to make my wrist hurt and hand was getting really sore.. Right now I'm playing .011 for acoustic, would prefer .010 but my Takamine will buzz on a few frets, so until I can get the neck to settle in a bit more I'll be using .011s still. I still use .010 strings for slide in open tunings, and .011 when I had to tune a step low for a couple of songs with the last band I played for. I keep .011s on my lap steel also, for a good full sound in open G tuning and less sag from the weight of my hand and a slide bar. .010 strings feel too spongy on it..

If you play rythym mainly, go for heavier strings, you won't be bending them much and you'll get a bit beefier sound, more bass. If you play lead, try .010 and go from there. Find what is comfortable for you to work with and suits your playing best. I've known people who play .008, but not many. Most of the working guitar players I've talked to agree on .010s. I love .010s, wish I could still play them without my hand hurting.

and how you measure to find out?

Measurements would have to be taken with a micrometer or calipers. Both not exactly cheap, and micrometers are tricky to read, you have to know how. Calipers are pretty easy to read, well if they're not verniers... I have both micrometers and calipers from my machinist days, but rarely use them any more. If you like the strings you have now and want to find out what gauge they are, take the 1st (smallest) string off and take it to a machine shop and ask them to measure it for you. Or take the entire guitar. You might also check local music stores, they may have at least calipers to measure with.

String gauges are categorized by the size of the 1st string,, which can't be measured with a ruler, so someone with calipers or a micrometer would have to do it. I really doubt if even most musicians could accurately tell the difference between .009 and .010 by looking at them. I have a really hard time with it if they are side by side and forget it if I'm just looking at a set on a guitar. I can tell by feel though...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by punk rocker 18
alryt dudes, just wondering if anyone can help, how do you know what size strings you need 4 your guitar? and how you measure to find out?
feedback would be really helpful x

Rhythm = heavier strings for chunkyness.
Lead = lighter strings for bending of the notes.

I've been using Dean Markley Mediums for a long time and I play mostly lead. The guitar type doesn't really matter, to me. It also depends on the size of your hands. I myself pretty much like Mediums because my hands aren't that huge. It's a matter of personal preference, really. Just try out different sizes and go from there
I want the thread starter to tell me how this is related to: Music Theory, Writing & Composition, Improvising or Sight reading.

Honestly, don't be suprised when the mods close this thread.

And *reported*

And ask this same question in the electric guitar forum. Maybe even get a mod to move it.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.