Ok so i narrowed my amp selection to 3 choices

The laney vc30 212

Peavey Classic 50W

Peavet valveking 212

I tried all these out and liked the tones of each. Which will satisfy me in the long run of these three amps?
where are you? if in the UK, i'd say laney (maybe even go for the 1x12 to save even more money), if in the US, probably the classic 50- though the valveking is an attractive price there too, and also the classic 30 would doubtless be worth a look too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
valveking.... i have the 212 combo its sick.
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
I traded in my Valveking 212 for a VC30 112, it's a better choice for me personally and feels alot more solidly built

And remember, 212's are BLOODY heavy - around 70lb's or something
Back breaking work lugging one around

EDIT: You're in the US which means that Dave MC's suggestons sohuld be taken into consideration as should the VK, the VC is alot more pricey over there than it is here, but same with the VK [my VK212 was £400, my laney vc30112 is was £300]
Last edited by philipisabeast at Sep 8, 2007,
When you narrow it down to three amps, that's the point in which you make the decision yourself.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by philipisabeast
I traded in my Valveking 212 for a VC30 112, it's a better choice for me personally and feels alot more solidly built

And remember, 212's are BLOODY heavy - around 70lb's or something
Back breaking work lugging one around

EDIT: You're in the US which means that Dave MC's suggestons sohuld be taken into consideration as should the VK, the VC is alot more pricey over there than it is here, but same with the VK [my VK212 was £400, my laney vc30112 is was £300]

ah, ok, yeah, if you're in the US, i'd look elsewhere other than the laney- if you're willing to go to laney prices, you're probably up to traynor prices, which would also be worth a look, the ycv series.

agreed that 2x12's are heavy- i'd rather lift a head and 2x12 cab in that kind of situation.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so i dont need a 212 just a 112?

whats the difference sound wise between the 212 and the 112?
(i know 212 has 2 speakers and 112 has one)
The 212 will sound more fuller [it has double the ammount of air being moved] but it will sound really bassy at lower volume levels, to get the best usable tone out of the amp at lower levels it'd be better to get a 112 - i use mine for practice easily enough

It really just depends upo what you're using it for - granted i'd almost deffinately try to borrow another speaker/cab if i was to play live [apparently the 212 for the VC can create a fuller OD] but yeah what are you using it for?
^ yep, basically. problem is the weight, and extra expense (plus in the valveking's case, i think the 2x12 is 100 watts instead of 50 for the 1x12?).

But yeah, you'll probably get a bit more headroom too. Problem is it's more expensive- the whole point of the valveking is that it's decent, and cheap. take away the cheap...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Yep the 2x12 is 100 watts
£370ish for a first valve amp which weighed 70 pounds and was 100 watts was a silly idea on my part, in the US they're cheaper granted, but the single speaker would be more applicable

If you're using it as a gigging amp then the 2x12 could be better for you but otherwise i'd just recommend a 1x12 or the head and a seperate cab
^ yep, i agree. get the 1x12, and a separate cab later. I doubt the cab construction in the VK combo is amazing anyway; it doesn't make any sense to throw more money at it, when you can get a decent 2x12, already loaded with good speakers (e.g. framus 2x12) for about £200.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ The wood's solid enough in the VK, but it's not very well bolted together, it'd creak whenever i moved it =/
ah, ok. yeah, 1x12 and separate cab.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so a 112 valveking and a cab.

will any cab work with the 112?

Should i just get th valveking head and cab.

In a year will i say the valveking's tone sucks cause that happened with the last amp i bought i liked the tone at first but then a year later i hated it.
Last edited by E-Street at Sep 9, 2007,
it's always possible you'll grow to dislike the tone of an amp, even if its a nice amp. what's the phrase, "familiarity breeds contempt"?

personally, because the VK is a budget amp, i'd go with the 112 combo, and consider a speaker change. problem with the head and separate cab setup is that you still have a budget amp, but only now you have the added expense associated with a separate head and cab setup.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think the Classic series spanks the VK series....
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i agree, but for more modern tones, i believe the vk just pips the classic. i remember thinking, when i tried them head to head, that for anything up to about iron maiden, the classic was nicer, while for maiden and heavier, the VK was better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Ah, i wasnt paying close enough attention to realize that he wanted more moder tones, sorry.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i'm just realising he didn't specify if he needed modern tones or not. there are too many valveking threads...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Well, in the case that he doesnt need just really modern tones, i'd suggest a Peavey Classic 30 or 50.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
yeah, i mean if something like maiden is the heaviest you play, a classic is the nicer amp, if you ask me. as usual, it depends what you want it for...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Yeah, that and budget are the keys to amp buying that it seems everyone forgets to include when asking for help.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86

(and location )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^See, even I dont know how to ask for amp help, lol.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i could just run my ds-1 through the classic if i wanted heavier tones right.
probably, but that's not the whole story. if you need really heavy tones, i'd look at a different amp. it's not just the amount of gain available which affects how heavy the amp sounds, it's the voicing, cab construction, etc., etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?