Just 2 quick questions concerning the usage of arpeggios:

1) Say I'm playing in the key of A minor - do you have to play only A minor arpeggios - in various patterns & various positions (but still only ABCDEFG notes) or can I play an Fdim arpeggio over an Am chord or only the arpeggios that make up that chord progression (in this case, say I'm playing i iv v - I play Am arp, then Dm then Em? or can I play Em over the i chord?

2) Say I'm using the A harmonic minor scale - can I use any note in that scale to form an arpeggio pattern and/or can I also use the notes not in that scale - i.e. I flat the raised 7th at the beginning of the solo and than use the raised 7th somewhere at the end of the solo. I realize switching from the harmonic minor to minor isn't that huge, but say somewhere in my (Am harmonic) solo I want to play an arpeggio made out of the A Phrygian scale - is that a safe bet? Are there any other suggestions about this? i.e. Which (minor) scales are safe to mix?
First to play f dim in a minor is wrong in A minor. F is a major chord and therefore a major arrpegio (then again you can always claim to switch keys)
You should be using b diminished.
In a minor you should play
A minor
B diminished
C major
D minor
E minor
f major
g major

A minor Is the the sixth of c major. You can look at it in terms of A minor but I always think of songs in the major form even if it revolves around the minor

C D E F G A B C
I ii iii IV V vi vii* VIII

I is major chord and arpegio. And major scale
ii is minor. It relates to dorian scale
iii is minor relates to phrygian
IV is major relates to lydian
V is major relates to Mixolydian
vi is minor relates to mnor (aeolian) scale
vii* is dimished it relates to locrain scale
VIII is the tonic or the octave. Its a major scale.

You can take that formula and put it into any key and figure whats the *legal* chords.
Of course you can always change that.

and if your in a harmonic you play a harmonic scale. E would still be phrygian except it has a major voicing now (well a major arrpegio but as a scale it still sounds very dark). Major Phrygian is one of my all time favorite scales.

You usually arpegiate the exact chord. Over an E you arppegiate an E.

Yeah I kinda rambled but I'm sure someone can take my ramblings and put them in a decent order.
You could add some tensions in those arpeggios (7th, 9th, 11th, 13th) as well.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by Ibanez20th
First to play f dim in a minor is wrong in A minor. F is a major chord and therefore a major arrpegio (then again you can always claim to switch keys)
You should be using b diminished.

Fdim = F, Ab, Cb, D

Bdim = .......B(Cb), D, F, G#(Ab)

EDIT: and to the TS, just play whatever sounds good.
Quote by mr. broken
1) Say I'm playing in the key of A minor - do you have to play only A minor arpeggios

Major 7 arpeggios sound nice in minor keys. Adds a different dimension to what your playing.

Try the two Maj7 ones:

C - C E G B
F - F A C E
Quote by I floss daily
Fdim = F, Ab, Cb, D

Bdim = .......B(Cb), D, F, G#(Ab)

EDIT: and to the TS, just play whatever sounds good.

You wrote Bdim7, not Bdim so... to you.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by DarTHie
You wrote Bdim7, not Bdim so... to you.

My point is, that they have three notes in common, and would serve the same purpose if you used triads or if you used diminished 7th chords. So the TS not wrong to play an F diminished arpeggio. (Since when is there right and wrong anyhow?)

The extra note, G#, would be a natural seventh, like in Harmonic Minor.

I'll say it again. Just play what sounds good to you. You don't have to stick strictly to diatonic notes.