Page 1 of 2
I just tuned down to D standard and have been learning some of Crystal Mountain by Death and it made me realize I want to learn how to write death metal riffs. I've written about a dozen thrash riffs that sound pretty good to me, but I can't seem to make my riffs heavy enough to be called death metal. It just sounds a bit like my thrash riffs but a whole step lower.

Help please? I know to use the minor scales, so don't say something like that.
dissonant chords and tritones, as well as drop your low D to C and use open palm muted chords.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Diminished scales and tritones are the way to go. I've also been interested in learning how to write better death metal stuff. Those are the only things I can actually incorporate, but they sound pretty sick to me.
ok first off...

dont wash or cut your hair

wear a gimp mask

slit your wrists

turn O/D on full

and smash the strings without fretting any notes

and there is your metal riff
Quote by bite_the_bullet
dissonant chords and tritones, as well as drop your low D to C and use open palm muted chords.

Drop tunings aren't really used in death metal, as opposed to tuned down standard tunings. Lots of open power chords are more of a deathcore thing.
Quote by Blink_mark
ok first off...

wear a gimp mask

slit your wrists

turn O/D on full

I think you're just retarded.

But to answer the question, use chromatics always...Try learning some Deicide and make stuff up like that, then make your own style.
Quote by Blink_mark
ok first off...

wear a gimp mask

slit your wrists

turn O/D on full

Don't be ignorant. Wearing masks is what slipknot does, not death metal bands. Slitting your wrists is an emo thing. I don't know why someone would acociate with metal.
Quote by devourthekitten
I think you're just retarded.

But to answer the question, use chromatics always...Try learning some Deicide and make stuff up like that, then make your own style.

Well I wouldn't say chromatics are necessary, but they do if a dark sound. I think following the dimished scale gives a bit more organization to the sound.
Quote by Blink_mark
metal is just talentless bull

Again, don't be arrogant. You would actually have a point if you tell me how it is talentless. Can you play Frantic Disempowlement, or Stabwound? Didn't think so.
Quote by burning_snowman
Well I wouldn't say chromatics are necessary, but they do if a dark sound. I think following the dimished scale gives a bit more organization to the sound.

Well, it does depend on what style you're wanting. For example, Death - actual scales and stuff for tedious, annoying intros and boring music (imo). Also, if you want to do black metal-esque death, you might want minor and diminished scales for a dark, doom-y sound. Just straight up death metal you can use chromatics very fast for a very extreme sound.

But of course, you could use canon chord progressions in death metal for all I care, it's up to you.

Quote by burning_snowman
Again, don't be arrogant. You would actually have a point if you tell me how it is talentless. Can you play Frantic Disempowlement, or Stabwound? Didn't think so.

Stabwound is an extremely sexy song, by the way.
Considering you're learning Death's Crystal Mountain and not something like Deicide or some early Death, it appears you're interested in more melodic death metal. You'll need some theory under your sleeves, like common chord progressions. It's also like everyone else has been saying, the more dissonance, the better. You'll definitely want to use second inversion chords, those give the most dissonance.

In case you don't know - or if there are those reading this who don't know - what I mean by second inversion, here's an example.
Root Position 2nd Inversion
E------------------|-----------------|
B------------------|-----------------|
G------------------|-----------------|
D--------9--------|--------9--------|
A--------7--------|--------7--------|
E------------------|--------7--------|

Second inversion is where the 5th of a chord is in the bass, while root position is where the root of the chord is in the bass.
i wouldnt want too,

can you play Cliffs of Dover by Eric J

Hotel Cali by the Eagles

or all the Brian May Solos

they all have more talent in there ass
Quote by Blink_mark
i wouldnt want too,

can you play Cliffs of Dover by Eric J

Hotel Cali by the Eagles

or all the Brian May Solos

they all have more talent in there ass

um...Can you?

Also, have you ever heard any Necrophagist???
Quote by Blink_mark
metal is just talentless bull

Why would you waste your time looking through the metal forums then if this is your opinion of metal? Also, please give some examples to back up your opinion as well, I'm quite interested and I'm positive you think you know everything there is about metal when really you don't.

Anyways...to contribute to the thread (Sorry for the double post in case no one else posts before I post this) a chord progression I really enjoy is i - VI - V. It's quite evil sounding when played descending.

EDIT: Lol, sorry, I just realized this topic was in the Music Theory thread.
Last edited by Vittu0666 at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by Vittu0666
Considering you're learning Death's Crystal Mountain and not something like Deicide or some early Death, it appears you're interested in more melodic death metal. You'll need some theory under your sleeves, like common chord progressions. It's also like everyone else has been saying, the more dissonance, the better. You'll definitely want to use second inversion chords, those give the most dissonance.

In case you don't know - or if there are those reading this who don't know - what I mean by second inversion, here's an example.
Root Position 2nd Inversion
E------------------|-----------------|
B------------------|-----------------|
G------------------|-----------------|
D--------9--------|--------9--------|
A--------7--------|--------7--------|
E------------------|--------7--------|

Second inversion is where the 5th of a chord is in the bass, while root position is where the root of the chord is in the bass.

What he said, it gives a much darker sound. The Intro to Crystal mountain has inverted powerchords.
too loud and distorted to make any sense of it....

yes to the first 2 songs and most of the Brian May solos
Quote by Blink_mark
too loud and distorted to make any sense of it....

Lol, just for the record, the radio doesn't play Death Metal. What you're hearing on the radio is the worst metal has to contribute. 99% of all the experienced Death Metal players I've ever ran into don't turn their distortion to 10, bass 10, mids 2, and treble 10 like everyone thinks we do.
Quote by Tehzekester
@ Blink_mark: That's great, now go be a retard in your own little corner. *points to the ****-stained and piss soaked carpet in the corner of the giant house that is UG*

go get shagged
Quote by Tehzekester
Stabwound is Necrophagist's second best song imo. Fermented Offal Discharge being first because of the epicness of the solo.

heeheehee Necrophagist are just awesome...I wish I could play like them...

By the way, I think that jerk left after actually listening to the stuff...
Quote by Vittu0666
He probably realized "Oh wow, there really IS talent in Metal!"

Yeah, hopefully. That whole "metal takes no tallent, and is just random notes" thing just pisses me off.
Quote by burning_snowman
Yeah, hopefully. That whole "metal takes no tallent, and is just random notes" thing just pisses me off.

I hear ya man. I think it's hilarious how it's so easy to stump the kids that say that too. It's always the kids who think they know all the theory in the world just because they know the circle of fifths.
Quote by bite_the_bullet

First part: Yes.

Second: No. One can play palm muted stuff in D and it will sound fine. You obviously dont listen to much death metal if thats what you hear. Most Death Metal doesnt use Drop Tunings. Melodic Death however, does do that a bit.

I wont even say anything about how ignorant Blink mark is.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Blink_mark
ok first off...

wear a gimp mask

slit your wrists

turn O/D on full

NEVER MIX EMO CRAP WITH DEATH METAL!!!
This thread has really morphed into another topic.
Edit:
Quote by Johnljones7443
Idiot banned. Carry on.

Thank you, sir.
Last edited by burning_snowman at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by Johnljones7443
Idiot banned. Carry on.

Have I told you lately that I love you?

One thing I would like to stress for Melodic Death metal is arpeggios. Lots of lush arpeggios.
Page 1 of 2