a friend asked me if i could make a website for him i consider myself to be so so with web design

he wants to make a webpage so he can display some stuff he wants to sell

this leads to a problem . he would have to get some kind of security thing for transactions online which they charge him about 300-400 dollars thats pretty expensive for him since his business is starting and wants to make as cheaply as he can since he doesnt have a big business yet

now the other problem i got im only familiar with HTML and he would like to learn how to maintain the website since he would have to pay about 12-24 dollars monthly

now i was thinking if i made the website for him i would like to keep it in such a way that he can easily maintain let's say he wants only to replace a picture of a product he will only change image name on code and bam done image changed

so any advice you guys could give me?

like pointers if you started a website how you did it? and how much di it cost you or refer to a good website to start website for him or if you know of any good website that are free like i seen some templates but only thing they give you is basic cover

any help is appreciated
I'm thinking maybe you guys should start off with something with a template. Try googlepages or something and then maybe there's a way you can use PayPal to do the transactions. G'luck.
Yup, it could be done easily, updating the products would be the tricky part unless the products never change, the it would be easy.

just make the code really simple like make product 1's image be in a folder called /img/product/1.gif

then your friend could just overwrite the image and then change the code (use php include to make it easier).

paypal is your best bet, it prodived free ssl, you could by and ssl cert if you wanted but it wouldn't really change much becuase money is being sent through paypal.
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
If your friend needs to learn HTML w3schools.com or whatever their URL is, is a great place to learn how to read and write the stuff, if you're looking for a quick way just use some hoster that provides an HTML editor in it so he can edit it visually (these ones are generally free).

Use Paypal for transactions, there is no such thing as transactions outside of it because you can't code your own bank.
Quote by .Epidemic
If your friend needs to learn HTML w3schools.com or whatever their URL is, is a great place to learn how to read and write the stuff, if you're looking for a quick way just use some hoster that provides an HTML editor in it so he can edit it visually (these ones are generally free).

Use Paypal for transactions, there is no such thing as transactions outside of it because you can't code your own bank.

You could record credit card numbers and then charge peoples credit cards, correct? if so then you could take payments without paypal, in that case you would defently want an SSL cert and a secure deticated server.

send me a PM if you have any more questions.. I know html and css pretty well.
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
Last edited by Shib at Sep 8, 2007,
No one is even dumb enough to do that. It has a much greater chance of being hacked compared to Paypal, for the utmost security a bit of extra linkage is nothing compared to writing your own scripts for protection.
I'm thinking maybe you guys should start off with something with a template. Try googlepages or something and then maybe there's a way you can use PayPal to do the transactions. G'luck.

yeah i forgot to include that he is planning on getting a domain name so he doesnt have to go through those long ass names you have on geocities and places like that. so people are easily able to reach his place also the templates i saw are only covers

i showed him that site but he is very beginnerish man i had to fix computer for him and doesnt have much knowledge in this subject. most of the hosters i seen are geocities and places like that and by making a website in one of those websites i might not be able to get the website domain he wishes

Yup, it could be done easily, updating the products would be the tricky part unless the products never change, the it would be easy.

just make the code really simple like make product 1's image be in a folder called /img/product/1.gif

then your friend could just overwrite the image and then change the code (use php include to make it easier).

paypal is your best bet, it prodived free ssl, you could by and ssl cert if you wanted but it wouldn't really change much becuase money is being sent through paypal.

yeah i was thinking of something like that for example keeping image and when he wants to change it just overwrite image and code doesnt need to be change or just show him where he needs to change name in code

i dont know much about paypal i know is the service you use to pay on websites but how would i got about integrating that into the website is it a service he must pay and if so how much?

prodived free ssl, you could by and ssl cert if you wanted but it wouldn't really change much becuase money is being sent through

you lost me here since i dont know the terminology too well but im guessin ssl is some kind of encryption being used to pay on websites
It's a Secure Security Line if I am correct, used for securing information in general.

If your friend can't work through a basic site to learn basic HTML I don't think he should be editing anything that you may be working hard on