I am going to university soon so I was thinking about guitar software as a solution to my gear problem - id rather take a USB cable than a Vox AD50VT!

I was looking at "Stealth Plug" which comes with a version of amplitube that has 3 amps on, and I was wondering if you could use the stealth plug to connect your guitar to Guitar Rig 2 Software - I dont want to get the package with the footswitch, i could only afford the software - the 3 amplitube amps arent enough and guitar rig looks better, but i need a way of plugging my guitar to the computer. Does stealth plug only work with amplitube?

Also, does this work? Would save me money! http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/CAB819.shtml

I assumed that for it to work properly it had to go through some sort of box or device like stealth plug - can you simply plug your guitar into the microphone input of your PC??

Is there any recording software that allows you to record using the gear from guitar rig as your sound?

Thanks in advance
Well you could plug your guitar into the mic input but it will sound like crap.

A Stealth Plug is a good idea.

It should work with Guitar Rig, I plug my guitar into a soundcard and Guitar Rig works when I use it as an fx plug.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
so do you think I should get the stealth plug for £60 and guitar rig software for 100, or just pay £210 for guitar rig with rig controller?

Are there any other cheap ways to connect a guitar to a computer?

Maybe ill just take my big amp......??
Amplitube is the closest thing to actual tube characteristics!

Much better than guitar rig imo! But not so for effects, mainly because Guitar rig has so many cool things!
im not interested in effects, I want amp models - is amplitube good - is there any way I can trial them without having to buy the stealth plug? any easy way to connect my guitar?

If I used amplitube or guitar rig, could i put pedals in the chain before the software or would that sound nasty? EG. could I use a pre-amp pedal and a wah pedal, plug them both into guitar rig or amplitube and then just amybe use a couple of components like reverb or and an amp?
I use them both - both have Demos you can download and try. I plug directly into my LINE IN on my Imac G5 - not the MIC IN but LINE IN... they both sound awesome but I usually use Amplitube 2 more as it has a better METAL sound - Guitar Rig 2 has more effects though but for straight up IN YER FACE high-gain Metal - AT 2 wins. And adding pedals works too - I also run my Zoom MultiFX directly in too and using my DAW to record I can use all the built-in amps the Zoom has as well as the drum machine too (Zoom G2). I have ran Boss pedals, Tubescreamers, etc in-line too but Amplitube 2 has everything you'd need including great stomp box models. The Jimi Hendrix version is kewl too for those vintage sounds.

I plug a standard cable into my Ax then add a 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter to plug into my LINE IN. Some computers need a small preamp or DI box but mine doesn't - the G5 Imac has a small preamp built-in. I'm using standard HB's (passive pickups) and I get a great sound.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Sep 9, 2007,
Quote by False_God
Amplitube is the closest thing to actual tube characteristics!

Much better than guitar rig imo! But not so for effects, mainly because Guitar rig has so many cool things!

+1

I love Amplitube 2 and IMO it's much better at emulating the amps than GR2, but GR2 has more FX's, but if your not around for FX get AT2.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

when i plug a cable into the microphone socket on my laptop, it asks me whether im using it as a microphone or a line in..... would this then in theory let me use that 1/4" to 1/8" adapter in that link above? is that all i would need if I have a line in?

Im not bothered about any of the effects, all i want to know is if my slash wah pedal (when I buy it) will work - because without the rig controller or amplitubes equivalent if they have one, i would have no controllable wah - would it not mess things up because of where it is being put in the fx chain? (ie. before the input on the software?)

Thanks for the help by the way
Well pluggin in an instrument is NOT the same as a line in.

The thing is that an instrument puts out a much higher output than both a microphone or an amp's line out. In order for it to work by plugging into the microphone in, you will need a DI box.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I've plugged straight into the computers line in with great results using ASIO4ALL

I prefer amplitube 2 over GR 2, just sounds more natural to me.