I've heard a lot of people taking shots at Marshall's MG series, personally i have no experience with them. What's the problem people have with them? And what are the "good amps" if these are so bad?
Just find an all tube amp, chances are it's good for what style it's used for.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
what's ur budget, what type of music do u play?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'll answer your MG question-

In short, they sound very sterile, and, well crappy. You just can't get a good tone out of them. They sound sterile and just.. bad. They do sound good to beginners, which isn't an insult to anybody, but as soon as you play through a tube amp and you can really crank it, you'll never want to even look at an MG again. I suppose they wouldn't be bad for a small practice amp, but they just sound terrible as soon as you turn them up.

Anyway, go for a tube combo! Price?
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
i dont want to buy one i just want to know why some people give em so much crap for future reference
im looking into a krank revolution combo.. i play lots of thrash, punk, metal, hardcore all that stuff.. and krank amps are ****ing brutal tube amps dude
Quote by kirkisking
Were you like, physically abused as a child or something?

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
AND MGs BLOW ASS.. I OWN TWO =(
Quote by kirkisking
Were you like, physically abused as a child or something?

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
Quote by kdog215
AND MGs BLOW ASS.. I OWN TWO =(

No offense or anything, but wasn't it a few days ago or something that you posted you were a beginner looking for advice? how do you have all that gear? :S
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i have an mg50 and a tsl60...
the MG is very mess,very sterile sounding...
it sounds great if its your first step up from a 15 watt fender,but once you taste sweet,sweet tube tone,you will never go back
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
and the MG cabs are made out of plastic
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by wyldeshredder
and the MG cabs are made out of plastic

You know what... I never noticed that before but I think you may be right. That would also explain a lot.

Edit: Nah they're made of particle board or something I just checked.
Last edited by sabbath1313 at Sep 8, 2007,
the fact that a vox valvetronix or roland cube is available at a similar price. and the fact that an epi valve junior and peavey valveking royal 8 are also similarly priced.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The problem people have with them is they all jump on the bandwagon. Theyre not god-awful terrible, but buying 100 watt MG half stack is a terrible idea. As a 15 watt starter amp, they aren't that bad.
I personally don't have that much of a problem with the way MG's sound (although they do sound terrible); I mainly hate them because they aren't reliable at all.

Basically;

bad tone + bad reliabilty + high price = not a decent amp, not even close.