Hey im thinking of geting a musicman stingray and came across this option. "3EQ w/piezo. I know what the 3EQ means but what is piezo? If anyone knows what it is and has any experience with it if they could explain what it is, it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks
Gear:
2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Honeyburst)
Marshall AVT50X
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Signature Crybaby Wah
Piezos are little microphones in the bridge saddles, basically, which gives a kinda acoustic-y tone and also gives a bright, trebly sound.

Not necessarily necessary, but a nice touch.
haha
so if its not in my price range i shouldnt worry too much about it?
Gear:
2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Honeyburst)
Marshall AVT50X
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Signature Crybaby Wah
No, and search bar this.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by H-D
Hey im thinking of geting a musicman stingray and came across this option. "3EQ w/piezo. I know what the 3EQ means but what is piezo? If anyone knows what it is and has any experience with it if they could explain what it is, it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

Originaly Stingrays were two band EQ (Bass & Treble cut & boost) later a three band option was added to the range with a Mid cut and boost controle.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yeah, if the search bar didn't help, long story short, piezos pick up vibrations instead of magnatism, and they offer a different sound. Most acoustic instruments have piezo pickups, and that's the sound you'll get. The reason being magnetic strings are the only things that work on magnetic pickups, but any nylon/gut string can work on piezo.... the exception being Nylon Wound black strings.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
not trying to be funny but...

if you dont know what piezo means, are u ready for a stingray yet?

i dunno, not being funny (y)
Quote by King Nothin

its not like the Piezo is essential to bass playing, at least he knows what the 3 band EQ is
H-D, i've got the exact bass you're talking about:
Black stingray 3EQ w/ the Piezo pickup.
Found it on ebay buy it now for 1200 and in better shape than the beat up ones in guitar center.
In terms of the sound compared to a normal stingray, it's got a much more solid, punchy sound slapping and not as thin as the non Piezo stingrays when using the fingers.
The pickup itself has its own volume knob, but it doesn't sound any good with it anything less than max; HOWEVER, while keeping the Piezo volume at max, this bass is the perfect blend of the smooth sound you get from an upright/J-bass and the more snappy normal stingray.
I'd recomend either saving up the couple hundred more or finding a deal and half like the one I did.

Best of luck.
Quote by King Nothin

You'd be surprised to know how many great players don't know crap about equipment.
Quote by bobthemunk
H-D, i've got the exact bass you're talking about:
Black stingray 3EQ w/ the Piezo pickup.
Found it on ebay buy it now for 1200 and in better shape than the beat up ones in guitar center.
In terms of the sound compared to a normal stingray, it's got a much more solid, punchy sound slapping and not as thin as the non Piezo stingrays when using the fingers.
The pickup itself has its own volume knob, but it doesn't sound any good with it anything less than max; HOWEVER, while keeping the Piezo volume at max, this bass is the perfect blend of the smooth sound you get from an upright/J-bass and the more snappy normal stingray.
I'd recomend either saving up the couple hundred more or finding a deal and half like the one I did.

Best of luck.

ok i think i will go for the piezo then. Thanks for the info
Quote by H-D

Go to the Rotosound website. In their bass strings section, listen to the sound clip of the acoustic bass strings. That's a very, very piezo sound.

If you like that sound, get the piezo. If you don't please don't get it because OMG I WANT A STINGRAY WIFF ALL THE OPTIONS AND ITS TOP OF THE LINE AND THE BEST AND I'LL HAVE IT FOREVER, etc.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by H-D

In the meantime what amp/combo/head/cab are you using because all those lovely sounds will only appear using a full range speaker system.
You will not get the best out of any upmarket Bass without at least a high frequency (horn/tweeter) unit in you speaketr set up; idealy you need mid range 10s as well, this will bring out the whole specrum of sounds that a decent bass such as a Stingray/Stirling produces.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn