ok so every rap based progam on tv, or radio station, or magazine ****ing immortalizes him, but all the rap threads here (were everyone seems smarter) don't even mention him

i personally only like The Blueprint and The Black Album, but id figure id start this to see what gives.
As far as rap goes, Jay-Z is probably my favorite one that is considered gangsta. I still don't really like him though.
Reasonable Doubt is a classic son. Most rap fans on this board don't like the commercial fare too much, but I gotta say The Blueprint is a banging album. The songs I've heard off of The Black album are great as well.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

I liked Reasonable Doubt a little, the rest is bleugh.
Quote by Omni-Ragnarok
"Good" Hip-Hop died a long time ago...

Shut your fucking mouth you ignorant buffoon. Rap is obviously still alive.

Quote by IcePh0enix

As far as rap goes, Jay-Z is probably my favorite one that is considered gangsta. I still don't really like him though.

Jay Z is hardly gangster rap.
Quote by Omni-Ragnarok
"Good" Hip-Hop died a long time ago....

Uh-huh, most hip-hop that has been released in the last 10 years has been far better than any of the days of wayback.

As for Jay-Z, I never really got into anything besides 'Reasonable Doubt', otherwise he was always kind of meh to me.
He's one of the few mainstream rappers I like.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by _Mayday_
The Grey Album made me love Jay's lyrics, and flow.
Do you have that? If you do,can you upload it and pm me a link? I haven't heard it yet
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Jay-Z and Kanye West are some of the few rappers I love to death. The Black Album is definitely worth the buy in my opinion. I'm looking at the cover right now on my desk.
Get off my lawn.
I'm really starting to get into Jay-Z. I agree w/ blackflag49, 99 problems is a bad-a song. The album he did with Linkin Park is amazing.
R.I.P. DIME

A TRUE COWBOY FROM HELL
Quote by blackflag49
I liked 99 Problems.

That's a dumb ass song. Cliche, played out, and the guitar is guitarded.
If you having girl problems I feel bad for you son,

I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one!

I love that song.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by blackflag49
I liked 99 Problems.

Then you like Ice-T not Jay-Z. 99 Problems is an Ice-T song covered by Jay-Z. Although Jay-Z's version is mad nice.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Last edited by Liam Alan at Oct 3, 2007,
Quote by Liam Alan
Then you like Ice-T not Jay-Z. 99 Problems is an Ice-T song covered by Jay-Z. Although Jay-Z's version is mad nice.

No, he just sampled the hook.
Quote by MastaBassist10
No, he just sampled the hook.

The chorus is a part of the ice-t chorus. So, a bit of a cover. Kind of like Zeppelin covers songs.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
to me, Jay z was always just one of those rappers that was just there.
he's always been around and i didnt dislike him, but i didnt go out of my way to love him either.

i only really got into him when i heard the grey album, and the brilliance of that one was all down to dangermouse.

hes average as a rapper i would say. his flow has its moments, but the broken english thing can be a bit hit or miss sometimes.

only one person can rap in the broken grammar and get away with it and thats DOOM.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by FunkasPuck
i only really got into him when i heard the grey album, and the brilliance of that one was all down to dangermouse.

Yeah, the beats are insane on that album. Best Jay-Z album, I'd say.
without a doubt.
grey album and Mouse and the Mask are what made me think of him as one of the best producers knocking about today.
can i remnd you all that the grey album is a bootleg?

Quote by FunkasPuck

only one person can rap in the broken grammar and get away with it and thats DOOM.

+1
Have any of you actually heard an entire Jay-Z album? I mean The Blueprint and Reasonable Doubt are straight up classics, give em a spin before dismissing Jigga.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by pumpkins_rule
Reasonable Doubt

That's an alright album, bit it was really weird listening to the Jigga man with a average type flow. The flow on The Black/Grey Album is silly (as he put it), but on Reasonable Doubt it's pretty normal/****ty.

Since it was his first, it's easy to forgive him. It was just pretty weird.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Have any of you actually heard an entire Jay-Z album? I mean The Blueprint and Reasonable Doubt are straight up classics, give em a spin before dismissing Jigga.

yea, The Blueprint may be the greatest 21st century mainstream rap album.

i never listened to Kingdom Come because the singles sucked
Quote by Godsmack311
can i remnd you all that the grey album is a bootleg?

yeah, but id have to say its the best use if sampling i've heard since DJ shadow.

i just wonder what maccers and ringo think of it.

even non-hiphop fans should agree that its not a disservice to the beatles, and it did a better job of contemporising (word?) the beatles back catalogue than that crappy love album did.

the level of creativity in the grey album was stunning.
Why do people have this mentality that reasonable doubt is a great rap cd? It really isn't.......but if you like it ok I guess. I'd say the dude's best CD was Blueprint but as for Jay-Z himself........

The dude steals lyrics way too much. Now borrowing from other people is something done all the time. Most comedians will say a joke that George Carlin probably said 30 years ago, Some bands might borrow a riff or a song progression from an artist they really liked, etc etc.

The problem with Jay is, he does it SOOOOOOOO often. On Black Album there's a line where he went

"I'm not a biter/I'm A writer/For myself and others/I say a big verse I'm only biggin up my brother/Biggin up my borough"...........so on and so forth.

In that song alone which I think was called What More Can I Say, he stole 2 Biggie lines and then a Nas line RIGHT after saying that I'm not a biter ****.

He used to be ok but he steals too much. Also Kingdom Come a terrible CD.
I like Jay-z's rapping voice. and also the fact that he doesn't appear to be a d***.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC