Page 4 of 66
Originally Posted by chylde_of_fire
Reverend Bizarre, Electric Wizard and Cathedral are twice as heavy as any funeral 'doom' band could ever hope to be.

preposterousness
Quote by Spynal
give me a fucking break. Electric Wizard are a ****ing joke ... Reverend Bizarre are meh ... and suggesting that Cathedral is heavier than funeral is just plain retarded... and I LIKE Cathedral .. but seriously.

And bands like Warning and MoD tend to get very old very quick.

Trad doom in general gets boring quick... only really good when really drunk ... and then quite frankly, almost all metal is really good at that point.

one could say the same thing about any genre of doom, especially funeral, considering the length of songs and a more minimalistic nature.

And death-doom,.. well there's only a handful of bands that stand out.

It's all ****ing opinion.

But whatever... Esoteric are releasing the new album by the end of the year. Given the last effort, this should be great

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Spynal
Stuff

I could just as equally say that Wormphlegm are a fucking joke, or that Thergothon are 'meh'.
The fact is that this thread was doing quite nicely until you got up on your soapbox and told us we were all idiots for daring to talk about 'boring traditional doom' and not discussing funeral 'doom'.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Um to keep this thread constructive I'm guessing all the Doom-Heads bum Trouble??? Yes?? What is some material of theirs that might actually be obtainable?

Also is the band "Funeral" a kind of Funeral Doom?? Because its a bit misleading..... 0_o
I've heard a few of their songs & I enjoy that 'Monk Chant' type stuff (not sure how long I would enjoy it for.... but it works in context ).

If not what would be the "be-all-and-end-all" Funeral Doom song? (preferable not a 30 min dragged out one, if thats possible )
Trouble are bloody great...Psalm 9 and The Skull were recently reissued, so they should be fairly easy to get hold of.

Quote by Monkey_Bassist
Um to keep this thread constructive I'm guessing all the Doom-Heads bum Trouble??? Yes?? What is some material of theirs that might actually be obtainable?

Also is the band "Funeral" a kind of Funeral Doom?? Because its a bit misleading..... 0_o
I've heard a few of their songs & I enjoy that 'Monk Chant' type stuff (not sure how long I would enjoy it for.... but it works in context ).

If not what would be the "be-all-and-end-all" Funeral Doom song? (preferable not a 30 min dragged out one, if thats possible )

umm lets see,..

a) yes, Funeral are a F.Doom band, with dual vocal delivery. (I haven't heard their latest, so it probably changed). Funeral Doom is a diverse enough subgenre to have a few really different bands within it.

b) it's probably a debatable thing, but IMO Esoteric's "The Blood of the Eyes" is a must. I don't know about be-all but it's an essential, and is only about 12 minutes

alternatively, any Worship, Asunder or Shape of Despair

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus

But whatever... Esoteric are releasing the new album by the end of the year. Given the last effort, this should be great

Given the last effort, it should be pretentious drivel.
"We've had many cases in this department where a body has been found in pieces, or decomposed, and we've been able to put things together. Yes, the head, the upper part of the body, in a very badly
decomposed state"
I'm going to see Esoteric live with Bunkur and Forgotten Tomb in November, hopefully they'll play some news songs then. The new album will contain 7 tracks spanning over a 100 minutes so pretentious? Maybe, depends on the listener I guess.

Quote by Emenius Sleepus

a) yes, Funeral are a F.Doom band, with dual vocal delivery. (I haven't heard their latest, so it probably changed). Funeral Doom is a diverse enough subgenre to have a few really different bands within it.

Funeral's latest was a bit of a let down I think, they went into the death/doom direction, and although the songwriting isn't bad (This Barren Skin and Saturn are good songs for example) I thought the album was a bit generic, so I just lost interest in that record pretty quick.
Quote by grim_necro_kvlt
Given the last effort, it should be pretentious drivel.

really? I thought it was pretty good. The lyrics were a let-down, but music-wise it was great. Blood of the eyes especially.

And the more I think about it, the less I understand why you hate them.

Quote by InfiniteSadness
Funeral's latest was a bit of a let down I think, they went into the death/doom direction, and although the songwriting isn't bad (This Barren Skin and Saturn are good songs for example) I thought the album was a bit generic, so I just lost interest in that record pretty quick

mmm,.. so I've heard, but one review site gave it 5+ out of 5, so I don't know. It's on my computer, so I'll give it a spin later maybe

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Sep 26, 2007,
I sincerely hope you lot checked out my thread on Dystopia. ****ing awesome black/doom stuff.
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
Confessor are cool...I have a 4-way split cassette they did with Carcass, Entombed and Cathedral floating around somewhere.

Don't really care much for Confessor.

Anyways, which Jap band do y'all like more, Corrupted or Boris? Most likely the majority will choose Boris, but I just wanna see.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Quote by kirkisking
Don't really care much for Confessor.

Anyways, which Jap band do y'all like more, Corrupted or Boris? Most likely the majority will choose Boris, but I just wanna see.

Boris.

ok one question.. is it true that doom metal is considered to be the origins of metal? because a friend of mine kept insisting that iron maiden is one of the early metal bands, and that disturbs me...

i'm not sure if a thread has been done on this.. but i'm yet to get a suitable answer to this question..
ITS NOT RAPE ITS SURPRISE SEX!!
Club Member #4
PM me or jay2k2jay to join
Quote by classical_metal
ok one question.. is it true that doom metal is considered to be the origins of metal? because a friend of mine kept insisting that iron maiden is one of the early metal bands, and that disturbs me...

i'm not sure if a thread has been done on this.. but i'm yet to get a suitable answer to this question..

Some people consider black sabbath to be doom metal if that's what you're talking about.
^^yeah i think it didn't construct my last post properly.. i'm not in any way suggesting that iron maiden fits in doom metal...

yup i agree that black sabbath could be doom metal but can they be credited with actually being the so called 'fathers of metal'? what are the roots is my question? did it start with doom?
ITS NOT RAPE ITS SURPRISE SEX!!
Club Member #4
PM me or jay2k2jay to join
^Well, Sabbath usually is credited for "starting" metal. Then if you consider them to be doom metal then I suppose you could say that metal started with doom.

Edit: (By the way, I don't consider Black Sabbath to be doom metal).
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Sep 30, 2007,
It started with Sabbath, but also with Deep Purple and Some say Led Zep. Sabbath didn't really become Doom properly for a few more years though. They where just a form of heavy blues rock to start with.
Sabbath WERE doom from their first album. Obviously there were heavy bands before them, but they were the first to bring all the component parts together.

Black Sabbath was simply just the spark that lite the fire for all these genres.

But if you ask me, it was pentagram who really started Doom. Black Sabbath just helped to inspire what would later be called Doom metal.
Interesting idea about Pentagram...but they weren't really doom until they reformed for their first album in 1985, the 70's material was basically heavy garage rock (I guess one could say doom rock...). Songs like Black Sabbath and Warning were much heavier and doomier than the early versions of Pentagram songs like Be Forewarned and Ask No More.

Last edited by chylde_of_fire at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by DeathBySpoon
I just started listening too Warning, i like there vocals.

Fucking hell yes, crushingly beautiful music. Watching from a Distance is one of my favorite doom records ever, and The Strength to Dream is mighty fine as well.
I'm just hoping that you bought whichever album instead of downloading, as I know some moron put Watching from a Distance on the net.

Plus I'm going to be seeing them supporting Pagan Altar in a couple of weeks. Go me.

Quote by chylde_of_fire
Fucking hell yes, crushingly beautiful music. Watching from a Distance is one of my favorite doom records ever, and The Strength to Dream is mighty fine as well.
I'm just hoping that you bought whichever album instead of downloading, as I know some moron put Watching from a Distance on the net.

Plus I'm going to be seeing them supporting Pagan Altar in a couple of weeks. Go me.

I'll admit i downloaded it, but I'm looking to buy it. Watching From A Distance is just beautiful.

That song gets me sad, but in a good way.
Quote by DeathBySpoon
I'll admit i downloaded it, but I'm looking to buy it. Watching From A Distance is just beautiful.

That song gets me sad, but in a good way.

http://www.smartcart.com/hellride/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=HM-3348
Do it!

Unluckily for you you've long since missed out on the limited special edition of WfaD that I got, where you get a bonus CD with the bands demos on and a Warning patch and pin badge.

Last edited by chylde_of_fire at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by chylde_of_fire

Thanks for that site! I may use it for others i see as well!

But there lead singers voice in 'Watching From A Distance' just feels me with sadness, but at the same time it's not sadness. Tough to explain.
I know what you mean...Pat Walker has one of the most unique and moving voices around. There are points in songs like Footprints, and Echos where the combination of the singing, guitar riffs and harmonies and drumming come together to make something 'depressing' yet uplifting at the same time without ever sounding contrived or forced.

A true gem of a band, in every respect.

Quote by chylde_of_fire
I know what you mean...Pat Walker has one of the most unique and moving voices around. There are points in songs like Footprints, and Echos where the combination of the singing, guitar riffs and harmonies and drumming come together to make something 'depressing' yet uplifting at the same time without ever sounding contrived or forced.

A true gem of a band, in every respect.

Exactly.
About the only doom I know is the stuff everyone seems to know...About the only doom band I can think of that people might not know would be Megasus.