Alright so lately i've really been wanting to buy a MIM Strat.
I play a lot of stuff with my youth band at church, i play a lot of classic rock and blues, some jazz, and i love yngwie vai and satch and shredding stuff like that.

I was planning on scallopping the fretboard because i hear how good it is. I was also planning on using the tremelo a bit. Now is there anyway i can keep the guitar in tune so that i can use it? I have that problem now on my ibanez rg120 so i blocked off the bridge. and i was also wondering if this pickup configuration would fit all of my needs.

I was thinking about a Dimarzio Fast track 2 in the bridge, i couldn't decide on the middle and maybe a Dimarzio Hs-3 in the neck? I am completely lost when it comes to pickups.

Would this all work though?
ok well, to be honest i think u are making a few mistakes.

i think u're looking at the wrong guitar.

what amp are u using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I use a few different amps..

Usually a Marshall MG100DFX, but sometimes i use this peavey amp at my church. i have no clue what it is and i think its about 100-150 watts. And sometimes i plug in through this really cool direct box thing that my friend has. it has distortion and reverb and stuff.

But what kind of guitar would you suggest then...
Quote by roscoejnr3
I use a few different amps..

Usually a Marshall MG100DFX, but sometimes i use this peavey amp at my church. i have no clue what it is and i think its about 100-150 watts. And sometimes i plug in through this really cool direct box thing that my friend has. it has distortion and reverb and stuff.

But what kind of guitar would you suggest then...

Well reading that I think you'll probably get more out of a nice tube amp with some effects....

what's your current guitar?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 8, 2007,
to keep it in tune id reccomend a graphite nut and locking tuners... but for the shred your going to need a least a bridge humbucker, more than likely dimarzio should do the trick... and that mg probably should be upgraded first...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I just got the mg a few months ago

I have a squier bullet and an ibanez rg120

Thats why i wanted to upgrade my guitars
i dont know man, i guess i would look at my budget.

if i had a few hundred, id look at a small, used tube combo. that will really suit your style better than the mg.

as for a new guitar. i really think ull do better with good floyd bridge.
strat guitars are really nice ive got a mexican and an american.
and yes, with work and locking tuners, u can keep them in tune, even with trem use.
but if i was getting a guitar to shred on, i would want a floyd and locking nut.

so i guess, what's ur budget?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Hmm my max was going to be about 500-700 or so i guess.

Can you give me some guitars that you think would work?
Quote by roscoejnr3
Hmm my max was going to be about 500-700 or so i guess.

Can you give me some guitars that you think would work?

I'm not very familiar with the faster floyd tremolo guitars, but any sort of superstrat like a good Ibanez with one should be fine...i'm sure that robot girl or any other user can help you with the guitar.

I'd spend more of the money on something like a Peavey Classic 30 and a distortion/overdrive pedal.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEV00583150If if you look used i've seen one go for as low $300 in a local store used.

Just my two cents try one out and see what you think.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 8, 2007,
well i really wanted a new guitar first. I was planning on upgrading to a good tube combo after i got a new guitar.

But why no to the strat? I guess i'm just not that fond of floating bridges but i'll check out some guitars with floyd roses. the only guitar i would want with a floyd rose would be a Jem haha.

But thanks for all the replies.
Quote by roscoejnr3
Alright so lately i've really been wanting to buy a MIM Strat.
I play a lot of stuff with my youth band at church, i play a lot of classic rock and blues, some jazz, and i love yngwie vai and satch and shredding stuff like that.

I was planning on scallopping the fretboard because i hear how good it is. I was also planning on using the tremelo a bit. Now is there anyway i can keep the guitar in tune so that i can use it? I have that problem now on my ibanez rg120 so i blocked off the bridge. and i was also wondering if this pickup configuration would fit all of my needs.

I was thinking about a Dimarzio Fast track 2 in the bridge, i couldn't decide on the middle and maybe a Dimarzio Hs-3 in the neck? I am completely lost when it comes to pickups.

Would this all work though?

How good it is? Have you ever played with a scalloped fretboard? It's kind of hard. I couldn't keep the notes in tone, because I fret hard naturally. So all my notes were sharp. And I imagine, once you do get used to it, playing on other guitars would be hard.
well i guess you can get an ibanez at that price. ill let the fanboys tell you the best one.

if u dont want the floyd then it's ok, you can get a fender strat.
you'll need to make it work for you. and no i dont mean carving up the neck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Hmm That was a pretty stupid statement.

I'll try a scallopped fretboard out before i make a final decision.
you know you can just look for one of these used....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Yngwie-Malmsteen-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510105

or maybe a mexican made, HSS floyd strat.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 8, 2007,
yeah true but if i start going to something that high price ranged i might as well go for a jem. but used i'll check one out.

But after what that guy said i think i might fret too hard for a scallopped neck.
yeah that guy is pretty smart.

i just meant try one out. and tbh i dont like scalloped very much. jumbo frets help bending techniques as well.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thanks so much for all of your help!

I'm just gonna go into guitar center and all of my local music stores and play a few ibanez's and a few strats. I'll just pick the one that feels the best.
Quote by roscoejnr3
well i really wanted a new guitar first. I was planning on upgrading to a good tube combo after i got a new guitar.

It sounds like you've made you mind up and want closure or something.

An amp would be better to get first seeing as you use an MG.
Quote by roscoejnr3
Thanks so much for all of your help!

I'm just gonna go into guitar center and all of my local music stores and play a few ibanez's and a few strats. I'll just pick the one that feels the best.

Great idea

Also strats should do you fine as well, it'll cover the classic rock and blues nicely.
And you should have very few problems with shredding on the strat neck if any. So yeah get what you like.