So like many people, I practice chromatic exercises to help my alternate picking. it normally goes pretty well, but this past week i've been having problems.When I practice them, every 4 or 5 notes or so my pick just stops at a string. Like, it won't pick the string. it just gets hung up on it. No matter what chromatic exercise I do this happens. So I slow the speed down a considerable amount to a comfortable speed. Same thing happens. If I spend a good hour working on it, it seems to get better, but if I leave and come back a minute or two later, or I increase the speed by 1 bpm, the same thing happens. The even weirder thing is though that I don't have that problem with anything else. Infact, I'm able to play quite a few things faster than I could before.

any advice?
yeah I tried gripping more of the pick, didn't make a difference. I use those Dunlop II Jazz picks. I don't think i've seen any picks thicker.
Quote by Spamwise
yeah I tried gripping more of the pick, didn't make a difference. I use those Dunlop II Jazz picks. I don't think i've seen any picks thicker.

maybe try something thinner?
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
I don't really think it's the pick though, because it just started happening a lot this past week, and i've been using these picks for a good 5 or 6 months.
all i can think of is to try n dig less deep, before you play something with dynamics, even something like a chromatic exercise, try playing it as soft as possible, with the pick barely digging into the strings, and all notes having an even feel.. it's helped me through similar stuff..

or you could try dividing the notes into portions, as dividing 5 notes (in the case of 4 per string) into 3 and 2, or 2 and 3, its a good way to pay attention to the string changes, and ofcourse accents matter a lot

using jazzIII instead of II will help enormously too, as the tip is longer, and sharper, the dynamic range is bigger, and it helps me to pick as accuratly as i need at any time, mayhap try it.. i dont know if it will solve this problem though..
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
alright, thanks. I'll try to find one. maybe i should take a break from practicing that stuff for a day or two.
Just an update, I decided to take a break from practicing Sunday. I noticed the next day that I had a lot fewer problems when practicing chromatics, and the ones I had were easy enough to work through. Today was the easiest it's been in a long time, so apparently all i needed was a day off.
Quote by Spamwise
Just an update, I decided to take a break from practicing Sunday. I noticed the next day that I had a lot fewer problems when practicing chromatics, and the ones I had were easy enough to work through. Today was the easiest it's been in a long time, so apparently all i needed was a day off.

I find that if I strike the string with the pick perfectly parallel to it it will have a greater chance of getting "hung up", i.e. the string slides down the pick towards my fingers rather than gliding over the tip. Kind of like getting your spoon stuck in a tub of ice cream when you dig too deep. You end up having to give more force to get the pick past the string.

The closer the to the tip you can hit the string, the easier it will be for it to glide over. I think that as your hand gets tired it gets harder to keep the pick just at the right place on the string to avoid getting caught.

So my solution was to angle the pick slightly so that the flat side is not hitting the string at once. If you hit the pick flat against the string it's like hitting up against a wall, but if you hit the pick so that only one side of the tip hits the string first, the string wants to ride up and over the tip of the pick because of the way a pick is angled, like it's just going over a little speed bump. This way no matter how tired my hands are, the pick always tends to go in the right direction overr the string, rather than getting caught up.
is there a possibility that the string tension is just getting too loose, because they're old strings?
I know this may sound stupid and you may have thought of this already but is the pick old?

If your pick is quite old then it can chip and even the smallest chip in your pick can cause it to get stuck; if you haven't already then try using a new pick.

If on the other hand it's nothing to do with your pick please ignore this and don't flame me.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.