Bold title hey? Thought it would grab your attention. Ok, this is a rant/discussion about where music is headed and the attitudes of fans of harcore/metal.

I was trying to explain to my rhythm guitarist bout different styles of music and he was incredible confused. We'd been hanging out and listen to my albums, and he couldnt really see the difference between bands like Lamb Of God/Killswitch/Trivium (Ascendancy album), and bands like Parkway/Bleeding Through.

I was explaining, saying things like "these guys are hardcore, but those guys are metal, then they're metalcore". He just said it all sounded the same, and asked if i'd please turn it of and put Slayer back on.

That all got me thinking, where does the confusion come from? In my guitarist's case its a lack of education, but what bout the rest of us?

Is it because bands more and more these days are genre hopping and pilfering bits from all style of heavy music? You see some odd things these days...emo/goth kids in makeup playing At The Gates riffs with breakdowns, keyboards and blast beats; scruffy metal kids playing ballads. It's all very strange.

Is it the media? Do we have this confusion because every time a band comes along thats doing something remotely new, the magazines and websites struggle to come up with a new -core or -metal tag? Things are getting pretty ridiculous with all these genres and labels on styles of music! LOVEMETAL? DEATHCORE? This is insanity.

AND finally:

Should we blame the kids? With so many people getting into heavier styles of music at increasingly younger and younger ages, are they just picking up on buzzwords and hype to describe their tastes? We've all heard the same things: "I love hardcore, yeah bands like slipknot" or "metal's great, that Parkway band rules".

In my opinion, its all these factors and more. I dont particularly care what tag is put on a certain band, as long as they write good music (I listen to everything from old school hardcore to death metal to metalcore to thrash). And personally I find it a little irritating that people would rather attack one another than try to share some info and emotion bout the music they love.

Im in a band that mixes a whole bunch of bits and pieces from everywhere. Are we metalcore/melodic death because of the At The Gates style riffing? Are we hardcore because of the breakdowns? Are we thrash cos of the classical acoustic intros and chuggy riffs? Traditional metal cos I sing? Death cos I scream and growl?

Personally, I dnt really care what people call us, as long as they spare the time to listen and maybe get into the music...

Feel free to post your opinions. Just please keep the flaming to a minimum.
i think theres wayyy to many genres for rock music.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I blame all bad music today on scene kids who can't tell the difference between a bass guitar and an electric guitar.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Personally, metal to me was defined as music that was pumped full of feeling and heavy riffs. I looked forward to concerts of this genre with the utmost anticipation. That was until I saw people hardcore dancing to bands such as Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, and (to my extreme disgust) Behemoth. From that day on, metal was tainted for me (especially metal concerts) and has led to my modern day confusion (and extreme hatred to hardcore dancing) as to what defines my favorite brand of music.
Quote by thycrusader
I blame all bad music today on scene kids who can't tell the difference between a bass guitar and an electric guitar.

You're dumb. This thread is pretty pointless. all the bands you listed that your friend thought sounded the same all do, they all sound lame.
Quote by grimevil
Personally, metal to me was defined as music that was pumped full of feeling and heavy riffs. I looked forward to concerts of this genre with the utmost anticipation. That was until I saw people hardcore dancing to bands such as Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, and (to my extreme disgust) Behemoth. From that day on, metal was tainted for me (especially metal concerts) and has led to my modern day confusion (and extreme hatred to hardcore dancing) as to what defines my favorite brand of music.

QQ
Quote by to_the_grave
Are we hardcore because of the breakdowns?
Worst stereotype ever. Breakdowns defining what hardcore is.
Worst stereotype ever. Breakdowns defining what hardcore is.

True story there. I've even heard breakdowns in rap .
Yeah, I think those are pretty much my thoughts as well, trying to educate people gets too exhausting after awhile anyways.
The way I see it, heavy music is heavy music. I don't give a **** if it's hardcore or metal, and neither do most fans. It's either good or bad, and that's the end of the story. Genres are bull**** and have no meaning or usage outside of the internet.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
The problem with heavy music is that where bands should be striving for something unique, they're happy copying other bands to the point where there is no point travelling 50 miles to see your favourite band when a band are playing the same riffs in your local bar. It seems the scene has reached saturation point, which is sad as I believe heavy music has so much more to offer as it should truely have no boundaries. This isn't true at the moment, as most popular bands are all using the "open chug, 2 step riff, beatdown, end" structure which should have started and ended at Domination (which is an amazing song but started the whole ****ty breakdown trend).

We need more bands with the same mentality as Between the Buried and Me, Botch and The Faceless to show that creating something unique can be achieved with a few open minds and some talent.
Quote by SealCubMassacre

We need more bands with the same mentality as Between the Buried and Me, Botch and The Faceless to show that creating something unique can be achieved with a few open minds and some talent.

End of (horrible) thread.
I think the real problem is that too many bands sound like At The Gates, and not enough sound like Lifetime. More good pop-punk is necessary in todays world.
Quote by mr.joopy987
I think the real problem is that too many bands sound like At The Gates, and not enough sound like Lifetime. More good pop-punk is necessary in todays world.

Quoted for the god damned truth.
Quote by LPIndin
our rythym guitarist made up the best rap ever. makes fun of the "milkshake song"

my breakdowns bring all the crews to the pit
and theyre like, "lets dance to this ****!"
damn right, we dance to this ****
I 2 step, windmill and spinkick.
Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia. Lifetime are coming to Australia.
Quote by grimevil
Personally, metal to me was defined as music that was pumped full of feeling and heavy riffs. I looked forward to concerts of this genre with the utmost anticipation. That was until I saw people hardcore dancing to bands such as Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying

Before I start, I just want to say that I'm NOT trying to flame you or anything and, for the record, I don't care for how many subgenres exist nowadays.

You called AILD and Lamb of God metal, but if you look at a lot of mall-hardcore kids, those are usually the two bands that they dig the most because both of them are (for some reason) considered metalcore. My point is, you can't expect an "actual (for lack of a better word) metal show" if you're going to see a band that isn't "actual metal".

And you said that metal, in your opinion, was pumped full of feeling. You realize a lot of people who hardcore dance do what they do as a way to express their feelings/have fun/get rid of stress, right? I'll admit, there are more people who dance to "be cool" than those that I mentioned before, but they still exist, nonetheless.
Quote by tyl3risan1nj4
why does everyone hate on TDWP
they really are a good band if your a true hardcore fan
i guess people on ug are more into metalcore and punk hardcore....

lolwat
I still struggle to explain the genre's of my favorite bands to people. But, that's what you get why you love Converge, BTBAM, DEP, Botch and all them, where they trancend genres every song...

Would they make me "hardcore"? Whenever I talk to the uneducated masses about my taste in music, I say "Yeah, I'm into like hardcore music", to which I usually get, "Oh, slipknot/parkway drive/[insert fav ****ty band here]". Frustrating to say the least, and then I spend the next 10 minutes explaining why Converge is not the same as Slipknot.
Quote by grimevil

the problem with music these days is wankers who don't let people have a good time at shows...however, if one of those people whose out to have a good time starts throwing punches and kicks right in the middle of a crowd, then it sucks.

but seriously, you were pissed off because kids were hardcore dancing at lamb of god and as i lay dying? that's pretty much expected. behemoth? you might not like it, but harden the **** up and ignore the dancing.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by to_the_grave
Bold title hey? Thought it would grab your attention. Ok, this is a rant/discussion about where music is headed and the attitudes of fans of harcore/metal.

I was trying to explain to my rhythm guitarist bout different styles of music and he was incredible confused. We'd been hanging out and listen to my albums, and he couldnt really see the difference between bands like Lamb Of God/Killswitch/Trivium (Ascendancy album), and bands like Parkway/Bleeding Through.

I was explaining, saying things like "these guys are hardcore, but those guys are metal, then they're metalcore". He just said it all sounded the same, and asked if i'd please turn it of and put Slayer back on.

That all got me thinking, where does the confusion come from? In my guitarist's case its a lack of education, but what bout the rest of us?

Is it because bands more and more these days are genre hopping and pilfering bits from all style of heavy music? You see some odd things these days...emo/goth kids in makeup playing At The Gates riffs with breakdowns, keyboards and blast beats; scruffy metal kids playing ballads. It's all very strange.

Is it the media? Do we have this confusion because every time a band comes along thats doing something remotely new, the magazines and websites struggle to come up with a new -core or -metal tag? Things are getting pretty ridiculous with all these genres and labels on styles of music! LOVEMETAL? DEATHCORE? This is insanity.

AND finally:

Should we blame the kids? With so many people getting into heavier styles of music at increasingly younger and younger ages, are they just picking up on buzzwords and hype to describe their tastes? We've all heard the same things: "I love hardcore, yeah bands like slipknot" or "metal's great, that Parkway band rules".

In my opinion, its all these factors and more. I dont particularly care what tag is put on a certain band, as long as they write good music (I listen to everything from old school hardcore to death metal to metalcore to thrash). And personally I find it a little irritating that people would rather attack one another than try to share some info and emotion bout the music they love.

Im in a band that mixes a whole bunch of bits and pieces from everywhere. Are we metalcore/melodic death because of the At The Gates style riffing? Are we hardcore because of the breakdowns? Are we thrash cos of the classical acoustic intros and chuggy riffs? Traditional metal cos I sing? Death cos I scream and growl?

Personally, I dnt really care what people call us, as long as they spare the time to listen and maybe get into the music...

Feel free to post your opinions. Just please keep the flaming to a minimum.

Quote by grimevil

Get a grip of yourself, for God's sake.
There is poetry in despair.
I heard there's hardcore dancing at Cryptopsy and Skinless shows : O !

And I could see people throwing down to Behemoth, especially some of the new songs..I just wouldn't expect it
people just like to slam dance, at my local venue people mosh and 2 step to power-pop =/
this stupid pedantic genre debate was created on the internet basically. nobody cares in the real world. Ive said this so many damn times.
This is one of the stupidest threads I've ever read.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)