everyone always says keep ur thumb on the middle of the back of the fretboard , i dont do that i ussually rest my thumb on the top, i have huge ass hands i dunno if that means nething, but neway should i change my ways? or is good? does it even make a difference?
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
depends on what you're playing
For me I have ginormous hands as well, my thumb usually is nowhere near the middle but on the other side of the fretboard, however, when I am doing arpeggios or something I put my thumb in the middle so I can go faster.

Your ability to play guitar isn't influenced by where your thumb is at.
There's no "correct" place for the thumb, a general rule (of thumb) is just either don't think about it, or place it where it's comfortable. I often find my thumb muting the lowest string if I'm in a Drop tuning and playing some chords. Most of the time I have it anchored over the top of the neck for support and the ability to mute a string or two if need be.

The only time I put my thumb on the back of the neck is if I'm doing some weird fingering that I'm not comfortable with, it helps to keep pressure on the strings so your notes come out cleaner.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
Quote by Kylster

The only time I put my thumb on the back of the neck is if I'm doing some weird fingering that I'm not comfortable with, it helps to keep pressure on the strings so your notes come out cleaner.

+1

puttin your thumb on tope of the neck gives you more strenght in the bends, most people i see playing have there thumb on the back of the neck, i havnt seen nobody (exept me) put there thumb on the top of the neck yet.

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
hendrix used his thumb to fret the bass notes. if u have big enough hands u could look into this. it really opens up a wide range of styles to expand upon. another good example of people that use the thumb over the fretboard style is john mayer and john frusciante. it really depends on what kinda style u want too. u wont get the speed right off the bat if you have thumb over the top than if u keep it in the middle of the fretboard. but whatever is comfortable for you to play with is really the only factor.
I LIKE Josh Klinghoffer

"Mr. Lippman of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join."

Frusciante for President in '08
yea I would say just don't worry about where your thumb is at, it's such a non-issue that its not going to affect you getting better or anything
It most certainly does affect you getting better. There is a reason classical guitarists never do it, and guitarists like Paul Gilbert never do it unless they're bending a string. If your hand is wrapped around the neck, your fingers can't stretch as far, and it creates tension if you're trying to play fast.
If you're mainly a rhythm player, it's not a big deal (though I'd like to see you do a proper C shape barre chord with your thumb on top), but if you want to play fast licks or runs you have to put your thumb on the back.
I switch back and forth between the 2. Dont plan it just do it. The thumb is good for muting the e string. And some chords. Other times my thumb is sliding on the back of the neck. Dont think there is a correct way. Some peoples hands just arent big enough to do it is all.
whichever's more comfortable. i usually have my thumb around the fretboard fretting the low E when needed or muting it. play it how you want.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by which ones pink
It most certainly does affect you getting better. There is a reason classical guitarists never do it, and guitarists like Paul Gilbert never do it unless they're bending a string. If your hand is wrapped around the neck, your fingers can't stretch as far, and it creates tension if you're trying to play fast.
If you're mainly a rhythm player, it's not a big deal (though I'd like to see you do a proper C shape barre chord with your thumb on top), but if you want to play fast licks or runs you have to put your thumb on the back.

u should probably have told hendrix that then before he changed the face of music while playing with his thumb wrapped around the neck. but ur right u know more about personal preference than the person playing
I LIKE Josh Klinghoffer

"Mr. Lippman of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join."

Frusciante for President in '08
*sigh* I don't want to get into an argument, but Hendrix wasn't really that great of a player. Yes he was an incredible musician, and I like a lot of his music, but his technical ability is far surpassed by many classical guitarists, and a lot of shredders, (John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Randy Rhoads and Joe Satriani are all better guitarists than Hendrix was).

Hendrix was one of the most influential guitar players ever, but most certainly wasn't the best.
I looked but didnt see where anybody had said hendrix was the greatest. He did some crazy things, things other said couldnt or shouldnt be done. No his way of playing wasnt the fastest or most technical. But the thumb over the top worked for him and others liked it to. As for ynwie, satch or vai, yea they are really fast and really technical. But me and friend were discussing this one night we couldnt think of anybody who had any of their albums. I cant rememeber the last time I heard any of their songs on the radio. But how many people have a hedrix cd or 2 or 3. Theres more to it than being fast or technical. Its music its whatever you want it to be. So petey gunnz however you want to use your thumb is ok.
Quote by which ones pink

+1

pretty much sums it all up right there
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
but once again you bring up about being the best, i would say its personal preference, and if your a highly technical player you might want your thumb on the back middle

other wise lets end the flame war now
The Floshman
Quote by which ones pink
Putting your thumb over the top isn't bad, but if you want to be the best that you can (and why wouldn't you?), you should learn to play with the thumb on the back.

Yea now that I think about it.
For me when I started playing guitar I was always worried about where my thumb was at and it just bugged me down. But later on it was clear that having your thumb on the back will increase your speed on the higher frets. I just dont think a beginner should really worry about it at this stage
My thumb changes placement as I reach differant areas of the neck, I say just move your thumb around, see if you can adjust the area you are resting it as you go into differant areas of the neck.... I'm not really sure why anyone would question their own playing style so to speak, to what others say is the "right" way. Overall just do what feels right to you mainly... If I had to give up any one part of my hand, i'd most deffinatley give up my thumb.