I got my first bass today, and I printed off the bass tab for "Hysteria" by Muse. I could play it fairly easily on my first day of bass ownership. Am I cheating somehow or is this just coming from my two years of guitar playing? (And yes, I'm finger picking with my index and middle fingers.)
Nah dude, exact same thing happened to me. Except I hadn't played guitar at all before, and it was after 2 weeks. But yah keep it up, there's always a need for good bassists!
wow, good job. now are u usin guitar pro or regular tabs? cuz i've found some of the regular tabs are kinda wrong for hysteria, cuz they dont match up. so make sure its matching up wtih the track. but if ur usin guitar pro, awesome. and its probably having a bit of guitar history that helps you, but if it helps, its all good.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
You've developed a sense of timing, fretting muscle memory and fretboard knowledge from playing guitar, obviously. It's not like you're new to stringed instruments. And Hysteria isn't a highly technical bassline, it's just pretty fast. Keep up the good work, though, doesn't mean you've jumped the cue to bass awesomeness. Welcome to bass
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Sep 8, 2007,
No, it's not difficult. It's quite busy and flashy, and IMO quite guitar like (and maybe that has something to do with it's popularity).

Although, picking with index and ring finger is interesting. Keep on going, assuming your middle finger doesn't get in the way.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah, I don't know why everyone splooges over Hysteria. It's not that hard or fast, and it's only the effects that Chris uses that makes the riff seem cooler.

Imagine hearing it on a "dry" signal - not as impressive.
Try playing Portrait of Tracy

Ego shattered.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
dont get us wrong tho it is still a very good bassline definately a milestone and something to be proud of and an impressive show of musicianship.

just braggening anout anything isnt cool
dude dont get the chuffters from the hysteria bassline! it was also my first bassline learnt but u want to learn some of flea's(from r.h.c.p) basslines good luck
Quote by Deliriumbassist
tthe only really impressive chili's bassline IMHO is Californication. And that was one of the first songs I learnt how to play. Good job TS, but this is only a small step in the huge journey.

Yeah I like the Californication bassline aswell but there are alot harder RHCP basslines
Californication is a beauty of a bassline. It's one song that almost EVERYONE knows the melody to, and it's the bass that provides the melody! Pretty genious.

I agree with Deliriumbassist - it's not always about showboating.
The only RHCP I really still enjoy is their more mellow stuff like Californication, to be honest. The high powered punk/funk turbo slap stuff gets old really fast in my opinion. I don't know what people really see in it.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
californication was originally written for 1 guitar, to play both the guitar and bass parts. in the studio the guitar riff was split into two parts, so flea would have something to play, and thats how it stays.

hump de bump is by far more difficult and in some regards more musical than californication.

honestly flea isnt all too amazing, the stuff he does now he does cause it sounds nice and its fun. if technical difficulty is ur thing definately check out anything before blood sugar sex magik.
Quote by SocKo?

hump de bump is by far more difficult and in some regards more musical than californication.

You're kidding, right?
Haha, well, let's end the Flea-talk now before someone gets banned for it. But yeah, I just learned Hysteria the other day (only because I finally decided to download it after all I heard about it), and it's not too hard, but it was certainly fun to play and learn.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Quote by Charlatan_001
Yeah, I don't know why everyone splooges over Hysteria. It's not that hard or fast, and it's only the effects that Chris uses that makes the riff seem cooler.

Imagine hearing it on a "dry" signal - not as impressive.

o_O

Can you play it perfectly, full speed, no mistakes? Its effing fast if you ask me.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~