I've been wanting to get singing lessons for a while now (no one in my band can sing worth sh*t and no one i know who sings wants to play the music i like. I recently bought an amp from a music store so i get a free lessons from them (that's why i love that place so much) and i wanna check out the a singing lessons.

Now my dad doesn't think you need lessons to sing well. He beleives some people are born with a natural singing ability and some are not (me). He claims that i should join a chorus to learn to sing (yet i wanna learn to sing as a indivual, not a group). I have no idea what my vocal range or ability is (my shower won't tell me) but i really want to learn from a professional.

Does anyone know a way i could convince him to get me singing lessons?

(My band's current "singer"(if you can call it singing) laughed in my face when i said i wanted to get singing lessons, so he's no help)
I wish I had your shower...
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
Think of Dream Theater, all uber musicians, yet they can't get an uber singer. Why? Because, yeah, some people are born with a voice that is made for singing. But, there's no harm in training your voice. But you can never change exactly how your voice sounds, just improve.
Singing lessons = good for anyone.
I wouldn't say you need traditional lessons, but some understanding of how your voice works and the mechanics of singing, basic music theory and voice theory would prove quite helpful. Its easiest to learn these things from having someone else help you.
I think you can't improve your singing "skills".If you are not a good singer, you will never be, your voice will never change.
get the lessons.
if they help/get you where you want to be, then keep going
and yes, some people are born with the natural ability to sing really well
my sister is one of them. i am not.
thats why i can scream and she cant
Quote by metalgirl0
I think you can't improve your singing "skills".If you are not a good singer, you will never be, your voice will never change.

Thats the thing though, i have no idea what my singing skills are.

Also people like Ozzy, Axl, Plant, and Dickenson all have normal voices yet look at their singing voice

just throwing that out there