i bought a Schecter Gryphon and am borrowing a friend's amp
so i need a first amp, but i don't want a tiny 10w piece of junk
i'm looking to spend around 400 usd
i play a little of everything but mainly metalcore type of stuff (ex. As I lay dying, Killswitch Engage, and the likes)

so i went to a local music store today looking at amps

Fender FM 212 :
I thought this amp was quite nice with VERY nice cleans but definately lacking in the gain department, but the price of this leaves me room in my budget for a od pedal which makes this in my mind extreamly enticing with 2 twelve's in it and 100w of power it is seeming ly powerfull enough to gig but still quiet enough to bedroom practice.

Roland Cube 60 :
put plainly this had good cleans and good distortion... so nothing bad, but nothing co scream over either.

Peavey Valveking 112 :
though i haven't tried this recently i distinctly remember it being blaring loud and having face melting distortion, not to mention very nice cleans (lots of disputes over wether or not this thing is good or not, from what i read)

Randall something or other 75w G3 :
a tube amp, only one 12" in this bad boy as i remember it, but still very very loud, great distortion and very nice cleans, one of my favorites that i've tried.

Ibanez 150w :
my favorite of the 3 i tried today... 150w, 2 12" speaxers, really good distortion and equally good cleans, the only minus i could possibly muster is that from 0 to 1 is no volume and from 1 to 2 is REALLY loud.

that pretty much raps up what i'm thinking of buying... please give me you comments and such... if there's something that i should try that i don't have pu here please feel free to link it to me

thanks in advance
1. Absolute crap. Don't go near it.
2. Good for a beginner amp, but there are better.
3. Like you said, this amp is disputable, it's a love/hate kind of amp.
4. It's not really tube, I wouldn't touch it.
5. Ibanez are not known for their amps, I wouldn't touch this one either.

May I suggest a Crate V16 Palomino + overdrive pedal, or you could save some more and get a used Peavey 5150.
Quote by which ones pink
1. Absolute crap. Don't go near it.
2. Good for a beginner amp, but there are better.
3. Like you said, this amp is disputable, it's a love/hate kind of amp.
4. It's not really tube, I wouldn't touch it.
5. Ibanez are not known for their amps, I wouldn't touch this one either.

May I suggest a Crate V16 Palomino + overdrive pedal, or you could save some more and get a used Peavey 5150.

why do you say that number the Fender one is crap?

thanks for the suggestion on the V16 i'll have to try it on my next guitar center excursion

EDIT: at 15w is it loud enough for use outside of the bedroom?

ya... used is a no-no for me and so is anything above like 420 or430, cause my old man is paying for it.
Last edited by mrmarc772 at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by mrmarc772
why do you say that number the Fender one is crap?

thanks for the suggestion on the V16 i'll have to try it on my next guitar center excursion

EDIT: at 15w is it loud enough for use outside of the bedroom?

ya... used is a no-no for me and so is anything above like 420 or430, cause my old man is paying for it.

well 15 watts tube is wayyyy louder than a solid state 15 watt.. i think its 2.5x louder but im not sure. so you decide if its loud enbough for you. i would personally go with the palomino and get an od like the other guy said.... but out of the options you stated, i would go with the cube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t7J3caoAvXE

heres a demo for the cube 60.. .you may or may not have seen it before.
used peavey 5150 for heavier stuff or that V16 palomino which is versatile.
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
can someone link me that 5150? can't seem to find it on any of the guitar sites i regularly go to
blues junior with metal muff, or some other quality dist? you probably get it for 400 at guitar center with good haggling and straight up cash
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I'm kinda having the same problem as you, XD...and we play the same stuff!!! I liked this vox valvetronix that I tried out alot, and everyone says to get a used 5150, but I don't really want to get used...palamino seems ok, but I think I want 30w...
The 5150 was the old name for the 6505. And why can't you go used? And by used I mean Ebay.

Also, I said that Fender is crap because it is. It's not a real Fender, it's solid state, and it's very unreliable.

And the Crate is probably about as loud as a 40 watt solid state.
I would go for a used Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Or the Roland, or the Valveking. Even though I dislike Peavey amps.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
i can't really go used because my dad's buying it and he wouldn't even think about buying used, especially off of ebay... if it was my money i would atleast think about it.
Quote by which ones pink
Ebay is extremely reliable, as long as the seller has lot of positive feedback (95% or more), you should be fine. Tell your Dad he's paranoid.

+1, I've bought many things [like my guitar, computer, xbox, snowblower] etc on ebay, and like he said, only go with a person who has 95%+ feed back and you'll be fine, plus if you buy with paypal your covered up to $500. So if you were to buy an amp, and he sends you a broken MG you can get your money back.

Also, Crate also makes a V30/V32 [can't remember which it's called] which is 30w which is more than enough volume. You have to remember that tube amps sound better the louder you crank them, so if you buy a 30w only to take it to 3-4, it would be better to have the 15w and have it on 7+. Also, from what I understand the Palominos are like the Valve Kings, love/hate deal.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.