im looking to get a marshall stack and its down to these two. i like to play harder rock stuff like gn'r but i also wanna be able to play stuff like nirvana, hendrix, aerosmith, stuff like that. so which one do you think i should get?
I don't like either much. I'd go with either a JCM800 or an Orange Rocker 30 if you want the authentic famous Marshall sound
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^+1

The JCM2000 is too modern for the sounds you want and while the VM might get those tones a JCM800 or Orange Rocker 30 will do them heaps better.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ word. and if it MUST be a new marshall, try a jvm.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well check out the thread "slashs new amp" - he is now using vintage moderns by the looks of the vid on there, plus he said in an interview that they are great - so if GnR is your thing, maybe try a vintage modern
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ word. and if it MUST be a new marshall, try a jvm.

But those are like 3 bajillion dollars!

Try out a JCM800, if you can get one used, that would be cool, because it will be much cheaper.
Sent from my iPad.
I can't belive you're even asking, the JvM is far superior to the 2000 in every way. It's like asking "would i rather eat my own ****, or a gourmet dinner?"
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by paintITblack39
But those are like 3 bajillion dollars!

Try out a JCM800, if you can get one used, that would be cool, because it will be much cheaper.

toshay, good point. frankly, if i were in the US, i wouldn't even consider marshall. You just have so many better value options which plain sound better. Bit like mesa in the UK.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got an e-mail saying that they raised the prices of Marshalls by 10% in the US
Sent from my iPad.
sweet, what's 10% of rip-off?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
JVM's are probably sweet...but damn, all those knobs??? I think there is beauty in simplicity.
definitely get an orange... they re cheaper, and they do marshall better if your going for their tones of lore ...

and i dont find either of those two marshalls particularly exciting when i tried them... the used marshalls they had were cheaper, and they sounded alittle warmer not sure exactly what model i was looking at for the used one
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet, what's 10% of rip-off?

A colonoscopy, I think.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
hehe.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ya marshall jvms are awesome just expenisve, and now they jacked up their cabs to $800 a pop in the us, for that ill spend the extra $100 and get a mesa cab
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
well check out the thread "slashs new amp" - he is now using vintage moderns by the looks of the vid on there, plus he said in an interview that they are great - so if GnR is your thing, maybe try a vintage modern

Of course he has to say that he likes them, that's the point of an endorsment deal. Look at Dimebag Darrel and Krank, for example.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Yeah, but slash actually used it on recording on Libertad, and he is using them live. And still is.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Quote by Campbell_x50
I read in Total Guitar that he used it only on the later tracks as it wasnt out at the start of recording.

He still used it...
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Quote by paintITblack39
I got an e-mail saying that they raised the prices of Marshalls by 10% in the US

but who buys new marshall stuff anyway? I know I don't. It's not worth it IMO. get a used one because they are just as good. Also you can let the amp break in a bit and allow time for component drift and tolerance values. This is why no two Marshall's sound exactly the same. I would take a used JCM800 from the 80's over any brand new Marshall (except for maybe those super amps like the Jimi Hendrix stack that cost like $10,000)