I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now and for about 2.5 years I've been playing a Squier Stratocaster. It's gotten to the point where I am average. the point where I know I'm going to keep playing and I'm not going to quit because I'm tired of it. I'm soon going to acquire roughly 500 dollars. My question is this, do you think I should blow my money on a new guitar or stick with my old one?
get a new amp and re-do the electronics. high quality pots, jack, wiring, pickups, shielding etc.

id also recommend you learn how to do that yourself it really is a lot of fun and you can start doing it for your friends and be extra cool... but thats just me
Honestly go buy an Esp Viper and slap some semour duncans in it. only cost around 450.
A friend mine owns a truckster, one of the KH models, A dean Ml Dimaflague with a dimebucker in it and a esp viper. He always plays the viper.
I agree with the other guys, go for a good amp if you don't already have one. If you do already have an amp, you'll have to decide which one to upgrade...I'd go for amp there too, unless you're happy with the current amp. Or a nice acoustic to add to instead of replace, or a second electric for open tunings or to learn slide...or a second guitar with humbuckers for the type sound they produce, or a hollow body...the options are not limited if you already have an amp you like.

If it were me, I'd be looking at acoustics and keep playing the Squier. (assuming you already have an amp, I have 5) They aren't bad guitars at all, I like mine really well and play it more onstage than any other guitar I have. At home for practice I play the acoustic 90% of the time.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Is it what you truly want to do? Listen to yourself above the rest.
Quote by Puppet_funk
I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now and for about 2.5 years I've been playing a Squier Stratocaster. It's gotten to the point where I am average. the point where I know I'm going to keep playing and I'm not going to quit because I'm tired of it. I'm soon going to acquire roughly 500 dollars. My question is this, do you think I should blow my money on a new guitar or stick with my old one?

Sup,

I bought my amp first before buying a new guitar. It was a Fender 4x12 100w. Now that you are average like you said, you should get better equipment. You'll enjoy your playing a ton more. I remember having a small piece of junk amp before purchasing my 4x12. It was horrible, lol. I do have a Squier also and two other guitars. So my advice to you is get you a new amp. Then, the guitar next. The new amp is stellar, actually.