I have can't start a band because the kids around here that play music either don't want to be a musician in the future, or just suck or are weird and not good enough for band matierial.
7-String Krowa Riff Meister
I've been in 2 bands.

The first band I was in was just a bunch of people i hung out with. we has 3 guitarists each had a different playing style. One played alot of satana type stuff, the other was into heavy riffs and slayer riffs and the other.....he just needed to turn down the suck. Our drummer was really good, but would always speed up tempo. I played bass. Out of this band i only really was friends with one. And personally we all were weird thats probably why we got along. We only really played 2 shows. Had 2 of our own songs and then a load of metallica covers.

The 2nd band didn't stay together for a month. Me and the heavy riff player started another band, but We hated the drummer and the rhythm player was a complete doosh bag a couldn't play a steady riff to save his life.

So the way I see it is find people you get along with and even if it's only for a short while you can always replace the members.
Just ask around. You might be surprised by how many people play.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Thanks for all the info it's helped. vannaXcurses yea I could go solo i have like more than 30 original songs. I've Got a Bassist now though and he's good and a nice guy so that's good but anyways thank you once again feel free to keep posting.
7-String Krowa Riff Meister
Drummers are usually the hardest part of a band to find. I'm lucky that my little sisters friend is a good drummer and we get along really well
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The way I got into my first band was one day at school a friend came up to me and said, "We're gonna start a band, come over tonight for band practice." That band didn't last long though. You could look in the paper or go to music stores and look and musician ads.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
i was in a band with 3 guitarists as well- we were ****e cos we all wanted to play lead. i was into frusciante stuff, another was an eagles fan and then we had a headcase who would rather smoke pot than come to practise. we had a drummer who didnt come to a single session as well. i quit the band and went solo an djust wrote my own stuff. one of my friends just plays bass and drums for me (we use editing software).
dude best thing you could possibly do for yourself is to put an add out in any local mag's saying guitarist looking to join/start band.. if you can get into a band thats experienced gigging with good musicians you'll be laughing, starting a band with no previous experience is very iffy.. join a band thats already going if you can!

chris
^Something to add to that is to look on the Myspace classifieds.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by troykeenan
one of my friends just plays bass and drums for me (we use editing software).

That's actually a pretty good way to go - just put a demo CD together, and use it to shop around for other bandmates. If you don't have access to a drumkit, you could use Hydrogen or some other drum software.

So, to the original poster, I'd suggest this: Put together a short (3-5 song) demo CD, and then pass it around school or whatever. Burn a few extra copies, go to guitar stores and hand it out to people you think might work as potential bandmates.

If all else fails, just release a solo CD. Bandmates can be a huge pain in the arse.